Per Andrew Marchand (New York Post) Troy Aikman is ESPN bound for MNF

Greg S

Seems like a waste of money. They already have the Manning cast locked up for more years.

Most people are going to soon realize its better to watch things like that. Not as organized, a couple of ex players huddled around and giving their honest reaction to the game will be much better than listening to vanilla commentators. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Aikman and Buck rank near the bottom of my play by play crews. Most times I don’t know if they’re calling a football game, or providing commentary for someone painting a fence. Give me a color man who gets excited for plays, someone in the mold of Gus Johnson or Kevin Harlan. On a positive note, at least this gets the biased Collingsworth out of there.

You are wrong on Collinsworth (and he is SNF anyway) but you are right on Troy and Buck. Snoozathon. 

56 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That's the thing though, the game itself is the talent. I prefer less talk during games. I want to hear the sounds of the game.

Oh I'm with you on this one.  I'd enjoy the games without the announcers, and they are no longer a necessary feature of the broadcast.  

I remember an experiment one of the networks did back in the 80's if I recall correctly, where a game was broadcasted without announcers. It was kind of weird, wouldn't necessarily say it was better or worse. Then again, the quality of commentary was way better in those days so broadcasting without announcers might be refreshing these days.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Aikman and Buck rank near the bottom of my play by play crews. Most times I don’t know if they’re calling a football game, or providing commentary for someone painting a fence. Give me a color man who gets excited for plays, someone in the mold of Gus Johnson or Kevin Harlan. On a positive note, at least this gets the biased Collingsworth out of there.

Gus Johnson all day! That guy just has fun with it, he brings the child-like excitement. 

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Stevie Ray said:

I remember an experiment one of the networks did back in the 80's if I recall correctly, where a game was broadcasted without announcers. It was kind of weird, wouldn't necessarily say it was better or worse. Then again, the quality of commentary was way better in those days so broadcasting without announcers might be refreshing these days.

So honest question-was it really that much better back then or do you just have a favorable memory? I honestly don’t know if the announcers are that much different than they used to be, we all just now have a way to voice our comments/complaints that we didn’t have back then.

it’s like when people say Michael Jordan would never complain like Lebron does now. Michael was one of the biggest complainers in the league (they even changed the rules for him!) but we don’t remember those things about him

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So honest question-was it really that much better back then or do you just have a favorable memory? I honestly don’t know if the announcers are that much different than they used to be, we all just now have a way to voice our comments/complaints that we didn’t have back then.

it’s like when people say Michael Jordan would never complain like Lebron does now. Michael was one of the biggest complainers in the league (they even changed the rules for him!) but we don’t remember those things about him

Is it not also the case that in the 80s you didn't see as many games and the nationally televised games always got the best 2 or 3 crews? I don't know that for a fact, before my time, but wonder if that is a factor too. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

I actually turned the volume off for the Bills-Chiefs game as I was getting sick to my stomach listening to Nance / Romo.  I was doing the PxP in my head.  The only saving grace for Romo is that he will be an analyst and contribute to the broadcast.  Aikman - just blah blah blah - nothing of substance.

Troy Aikman has been mailing it in for about a decade now.  He offers next to nothing that the average viewer can't already see for themselves

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mushypeaches said:

Troy Aikman has been mailing it in for about a decade now.  He offers next to nothing that the average viewer can't already see for themselves

Personally, I don't give too much of a crap about the content of what's coming out of these guys' mouths.  A lot of it is just background noise/filler for me.  But when someone has a voice that gets on my nerves, it has a negative effect on my viewing experience.  Booger and Levy both made me run for the mute button.  Unbearable.  Almost like torture.  They're horrible.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.