D-Line rotation question

Don Otreply

12 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Epenesa needs to show signs of life though. He’s the main reason they need to address the position with a veteran. Besides that first Miami game he showed very few signs of taking a step. He’s still a young player (Rousseau is VERY young, and raw as well). But I believe if they want to take this defense to the next level they need an impact pass rusher. I hope that can be Rousseau, but I’m wondering if it’ll need to be a veteran from outside the organization. 

I know it’s obvious but the level of disappointment there is very high. AJ has really done nothing. I wish he could play against Austin Jackson every game, becuase he has his number for some reason. The sliver of hope I have for AJ is that it took him a while to become a starter at Iowa. Which is crazy considering he was a 5 star recruit. Maybe he just takes a long time to get going and adjust. But, unless he foes it this year, he will be a free agent before long. But, he really hadn’t played much and I think we need to transition to a place where some of those Hughes/Addison snaps transition to the younger guys. 

I think the upside Rousseau carries is so much higher than anybody on the roster. I really love Cameron Thomas in the draft. Outside of a maybe trade for Mack, I am not sure if there are really upgrades out there. The guys we have just have to get better. 

I have no strong opinion about the rotation, other than I would like to see Ed Oliver on the field more.

But, one player that gets overlooked and his injury last year made a difference is Justin Zimmer. He has quietly become one of the most consistent interior d-line players. Having him back next year improves the line, even if no other changes are made. To me, he is the Ryan Bates of the Defense in that all he does when given the opportunities is play well. Maybe not flashy, but productive.

39 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I have no strong opinion about the rotation, other than I would like to see Ed Oliver on the field more.

But, one player that gets overlooked and his injury last year made a difference is Justin Zimmer. He has quietly become one of the most consistent interior d-line players. Having him back next year improves the line, even if no other changes are made. To me, he is the Ryan Bates of the Defense in that all he does when given the opportunities is play well. Maybe not flashy, but productive.

I have generally enjoyed his performance on the field, but he’s going to be 30 years old this season and is coming off a major knee injury, so I would be shocked if he improves beyond what he has been- a backup level player.

9 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If you go back and look at his time in Carolina as DC, when he had elite players on the line they played 70%+ of the snaps. 

That is good to hear.  

12 hours ago, vincec said:

Based on the snap counts I could online find no defensive lineman got even 60% of the snaps. Ed Oliver was the highest at 58% and only he and Hughes were over 50%. If this is correct then I think that is too even a split. Oliver, at least, should actually be getting closer to 65% as you indicate, IMO.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2021-snap-counts.htm

Thanks for the info.  Is that for the entire year?  I would guess and think that Ed Oliver's first half of the year vs 2nd half of the year had different snap counts.  Can you break it down that way?

Thanks!

• Thank you (+1) 1

To point out the obvious, the defensive coaches review game film every week and grade all the players.

I think it's safe to say the players that grade out better wind up getting more snaps in future games.

If the number of snaps is roughly the same, apparently those players have been grading out fairly evenly over recent games.

Here's another site with snap counts that may be in a more convenient format.   Some positions are missing, but all the DL is listed.

https://www.footballguys.com/stats/snap-counts/teams?team=BUF&year=2021

• Like (+1) 1

Some of Yinz are asking about a “theory” that it’s a good idea to rotate DL and give them a blow 

it’s not a theory, it’s a fact. 
All NFL and high level CFB teams rotate DL. LB CB Safeties QB WR OL are not rotated like DL are. This is a fact, not a theory. For reasons that should be obvious DL is the single most tiring position to play in football thus the rotation. 

the real question is how much to rotate these guys. 50-50 is probably not a good answer. If you have outstanding players in top shape you might shoot for 80-20. As Oliver and Groot improves they might hit 30-70 next year. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We'll see less of a rotations just based on roster numbers. Last year we had 6 DE's that got legitimate snaps. We won't have that many this year.

At DT I would like to see Ed Oliver get the majority of the snaps. Then rotate next to him. 

Just wanted to add that I believe we will see more of H. Phillips next season also. Seemed like he improved and was making enough plays that could get him more snaps.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Some of Yinz are asking about a “theory” that it’s a good idea to rotate DL and give them a blow 

it’s not a theory, it’s a fact. 
All NFL and high level CFB teams rotate DL. LB CB Safeties QB WR OL are not rotated like DL are. This is a fact, not a theory. For reasons that should be obvious DL is the single most tiring position to play in football thus the rotation. 

the real question is how much to rotate these guys. 50-50 is probably not a good answer. If you have outstanding players in top shape you might shoot for 80-20. As Oliver and Groot improves they might hit 30-70 next year. 

I can agree with your sentiments, 😁👍

1 hour ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Just wanted to add that I believe we will see more of H. Phillips next season also. Seemed like he improved and was making enough plays that could get him more snaps.

Phillips was doing more snaps than Oliver as the season went on. 

41 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

IF he re-signs.

We're going to be shocked at his number. I'm going to guess 7+ million per year.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I agree. I've always liked Phillips. It took him some time to return from the injury.

Yeah and was noticeable he seemed to get some solid pressure on QB's and also got in the backfield here and there taking down RB's. He looked quite a bit improved to me. Hope he stays healthy all of next season

5 hours ago, DonInBuffalo said:

To point out the obvious, the defensive coaches review game film every week and grade all the players.

I think it's safe to say the players that grade out better wind up getting more snaps in future games.

If the number of snaps is roughly the same, apparently those players have been grading out fairly evenly over recent games.

Here's another site with snap counts that may be in a more convenient format.   Some positions are missing, but all the DL is listed.

https://www.footballguys.com/stats/snap-counts/teams?team=BUF&year=2021

Good point. It seems to me that the defensive alignment rarely changing also makes it easier to grade individual players. I almost wish the defense would throw some more wrinkles in. Mix things up more. There is talent on the DLine. I think the coaches should allow the boys a little leeway to run some more exotic looks. Have a hunch it would be effective because these guys are rotating and staying fresh. It also puts pressure on the offense because they will have to be prepared for some new coming. To me, it just seems that the coaches are keeping the DLinemen in predictable alignments and not changing things up.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.