D-Line rotation question

Don Otreply

Does anyone here think that the continuous rotation of D-Line players prevents them from getting into a groove so to speak, during games?

I’m thinking about how some teams leave their main guy or guys in for a higher percentage of snaps than we do, the Rams & Donald as an example,  and does anyone think it might help the D-Line get home (sacks)  more frequently?

I tend to believe QB knock downs & sacks screws with a QBs performance far more than “ pressures” do. 

enlighten me if I m off base in my thinking,  thanks, 

Go Bills!!!

• Eyeroll 1

I don’t think the rotation is the issue, it’s the quality of the players. Ed Oliver should not come off the field. But outside of that, who really deserves more snaps? Maybe Rousseau?

I think it is a philosophical thing, I guess the idea is having fresh guys wearing out the offensive line. I don’t think it has really worked, but until we have better defensive linemen, I think it is hard to really say. 

Also, what makes a difference for the Rams is they move guys around and give exotic looks. If you can get Donald on the opposing teams worst linemen, that makes sense. Out scheme is quite stringent and a little vanilla. We are going to be in a 4-2-5 alignment, with contain defensive ends, and really never twist etc. As the year went on, we saw  less and less of the double A gap mug defense, and that is the only alignment that really gives us an exotic package. 

When your players are meh, it makes sense to rotate them and keep them fresh, but there is something to be said for the idea you mention, that this doesn’t allow guys to really get into the flow of the game. 

It’s a cornerstone of his defense.  He is consistent with his 4-2-5, keeps the 2-5 out there almost all the time with maybe a swap at big nickel every once in awhile.  Nothing we say will ever change that tenet of his defense.  He believes having 8 in a rotation with some of the guys are getting 60-65% of the snaps.  It’s not a true 50/50.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

It’s a cornerstone of his defense.  He is consistent with his 4-2-5, keeps the 2-5 out there almost all the time with maybe a swap at big nickel every once in awhile.  Nothing we say will ever change that tenet of his defense.  He believes having 8 in a rotation with some of the guys are getting 60-65% of the snaps.  It’s not a true 50/50.

Based on the snap counts I could online find no defensive lineman got even 60% of the snaps. Ed Oliver was the highest at 58% and only he and Hughes were over 50%. If this is correct then I think that is too even a split. Oliver, at least, should actually be getting closer to 65% as you indicate, IMO.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2021-snap-counts.htm

Edited by vincec

Good replies, I do understand that SM isn’t ever going to change his D theories, I’m mostly trying to get a feel of youz guyz thinking on this. 

Go Bills!!!

One thing of note..

As the season progressed there was a definitive shift in snap count, particularly inside. Ed and Phillips were getting nearly double the snaps as Star and whomever else was active those games. The number jumped even further when you look when the snaps occurred (early vs. late with the game decided). 

Not sure if this represents a new philosophy or coaching realizing how drastic the drop in play when the 2nds were in.

• Like (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

One thing of note..

As the season progressed there was a definitive shift in snap count, particularly inside. Ed and Phillips were getting nearly double the snaps as Star and whomever else was active those games. The number jumped even further when you look when the snaps occurred (early vs. late with the game decided). 

Not sure if this represents a new philosophy or coaching realizing how drastic the drop in play when the 2nds were in.

SM has always said he is willing to learn and adapt, fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Not a fan of the DL rotation. If we actually had an all pro or elite Dlineman we wouldn't be bringing him out other than the occassional rest.  This upcoming season I want to see Ed & Groot get way more snaps. And if we can miraculously land a big name pass rusher, we better let him play 70%+ of the snaps. Bring in AJE or Boogie only as depth.

Identify your best players and play them.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Rotation makes sense if you have enough competent players to make the substitutions and maintain a decent level of performance.  D-linemen generally expend more energy than most other positions on the field.  Their effectiveness drops off the longer that they are on the field.  I understand and mostly agree with the approach that McD employs.  Where he loses me is when he brings in the backups to start a defensive series after the Bills' offense has been on field for a decent amount of time.  The starters have been sitting on the bench and could not possibly be tired.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

SM has always said he is willing to learn and adapt, fingers crossed 🤞 

This is the classic example of a fallacy. The belief that simply upping the snap count would improve the performance of the players on the same players is false. It could make them worse or put them in situations that they don't succeed. 

If the Bills trade for Aaron Donald then yea, he'll play 80% of the snaps. 

30 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If you go back and look at his time in Carolina as DC, when he had elite players on the line they played 70%+ of the snaps. 

That’s good to hear, thanks👍

I think Oliver will see a jump this season. Hopefully closer to 65%-70% of snaps. As stated above, towards the end of the season that’s what he was getting towards the end of the season and playoffs.

Rousseau and Phillips (I think he’ll be brought back) should be getting 50%+ for sure, and for Rousseau I could see him getting closer to 65% just bc of how well he played against the run and can be trusted as a 3-down lineman. 

I believe they’ll add a veteran defensive end to lead the end opposite Rousseau, with Epenesa and Basham filling in those spots. Could also see Basham getting some run as a sub for Oliver in certain situations as well. 

Overall I think the theory makes sense. Keeps them fresh and let them have more energy. 

But with a younger group now you do have to wonder about them wanting to be able to get a feel for how their opposition is blocking them, and just a general feel for each game (similar to when Singletary went from splitting carries with Moss, to becoming the lead back). 

Epenesa needs to show signs of life though. He’s the main reason they need to address the position with a veteran. Besides that first Miami game he showed very few signs of taking a step. He’s still a young player (Rousseau is VERY young, and raw as well). But I believe if they want to take this defense to the next level they need an impact pass rusher. I hope that can be Rousseau, but I’m wondering if it’ll need to be a veteran from outside the organization. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Malazan said:

This is the classic example of a fallacy. The belief that simply upping the snap count would improve the performance of the players on the same players is false. It could make them worse or put them in situations that they don't succeed. 

If the Bills trade for Aaron Donald then yea, he'll play 80% of the snaps. 

Hey now there Malazan, you’re harshing me out, I was asking in good faith, not making a broad brush definitive statement, a nuanced question, looking for a nuanced response. It would appear you feel like we have no one that can handle more reps, and that’s fine and a valid opinion, thanks for your response, 

Go Bills!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.