Marlin's Mock

MarlinTheMagician

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The problem isn't the picks they have spent on each side so much as what they have got from them. They have spent two thirds on running backs and still have a struggling run game. They have spent 1 first and two seconds on pass rushers and still struggle to generate consistent pass rush from the outside. 

As for last year, how are two of the offensive guys turning out very well? Spencer Brown is 1 (and he is still far from the finished article but was encouraging as a rookie) who is the other? 

I understand that...Oliver seems to be turning a corner and the other defensive players drafted "high" were at the end of the first round or second rounders.  Its also too early to judge Rousseau and Basham...they were developmental rookies.  Lets see what a full off-season does for them.  I am unsure about Epenesa though...I though he was turning a corner early in the year, but that went south.  Edge rusher is still a need for the defense.

As far as the RB's are concerned, Singletary seems to have established himself.  I always though he was the better of the two third rounders, but for some reason the coaching staff was sluggish in giving him carries.  I also believe RB's need consistent carries to get into the rhythm of the game.  They rotated them so much, that it hurt both of them.

I would also say we did pretty well with our first round offensive guys...Allen and Diggs are both pretty decent players.

The real thrust of the post is that we have been devoting draft picks to offense and defense...and we have done pretty well with it in my opinion.  We have a lot of young offensive guys with a lot of promise.  We still need help on offense but I feel like the offense is further ahead of the defense.  Add a guard and 3rd down running back and the offense is pretty well set.

On defense, I feel like we need a 1 tech, a corner, and edge, and some depth.  I wish they would use Edmunds as an edge rusher...he would be much better if you just let him go get the QB.  So, I think we need more on D...I think a starting corner is a must get and another edge is a pretty high priority.

As far as last year - I love Spencer Brown...I think he was a steal and the other is Doyle.  The jury is still out on Doyle, but he was getting snaps as a 6th lineman and got some snaps in relief of injured players toward the end of the year.

All in all, we have to see how free agency shakes out...Beane is pretty big about filling all the holes in free-agency then trying to draft for best available.

14 minutes ago, atomicpwrd said:

I understand that...Oliver seems to be turning a corner and the other defensive players drafted "high" were at the end of the first round or second rounders.  Its also too early to judge Rousseau and Basham...they were developmental rookies.  Lets see what a full off-season does for them.  I am unsure about Epenesa though...I though he was turning a corner early in the year, but that went south.  Edge rusher is still a need for the defense.

As far as the RB's are concerned, Singletary seems to have established himself.  I always though he was the better of the two third rounders, but for some reason the coaching staff was sluggish in giving him carries.  I also believe RB's need consistent carries to get into the rhythm of the game.  They rotated them so much, that it hurt both of them.

I would also say we did pretty well with our first round offensive guys...Allen and Diggs are both pretty decent players.

The real thrust of the post is that we have been devoting draft picks to offense and defense...and we have done pretty well with it in my opinion.  We have a lot of young offensive guys with a lot of promise.  We still need help on offense but I feel like the offense is further ahead of the defense.  Add a guard and 3rd down running back and the offense is pretty well set.

On defense, I feel like we need a 1 tech, a corner, and edge, and some depth.  I wish they would use Edmunds as an edge rusher...he would be much better if you just let him go get the QB.  So, I think we need more on D...I think a starting corner is a must get and another edge is a pretty high priority.

As far as last year - I love Spencer Brown...I think he was a steal and the other is Doyle.  The jury is still out on Doyle, but he was getting snaps as a 6th lineman and got some snaps in relief of injured players toward the end of the year.

All in all, we have to see how free agency shakes out...Beane is pretty big about filling all the holes in free-agency then trying to draft for best available.

No dispute with Oliver. I think after Tre and our safeties he was our most important defensive player in 2021. The point that they have spent picks on running backs and edge though and yet most fans would still have both on a list of needs is a legitimate point. I think you are right that isn't about offense vs defense, it is the point that I have made multiple times before..... Brandon Beane and his staff have been very good at drafting guys who can start in the NFL. They are if not the best then certainly top 3 in the league at it. Where there is a more legitimate question is about whether they draft enough difference makers and those positions where they take multiple shots and still don't come up with a difference maker (i.e. edge) stick in people's minds. That said I still hold out a hope that Rousseau can get to that level. 

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No dispute with Oliver. I think after Tre and our safeties he was our most important defensive player in 2021. The point that they have spent picks on running backs and edge though and yet most fans would still have both on a list of needs is a legitimate point. I think you are right that isn't about offense vs defense, it is the point that I have made multiple times before..... Brandon Beane and his staff have been very good at drafting guys who can start in the NFL. They are if not the best then certainly top 3 in the league at it. Where there is a more legitimate question is about whether they draft enough difference makers and those positions where they take multiple shots and still don't come up with a difference maker (i.e. edge) stick in people's minds. That said I still hold out a hope that Rousseau can get to that level. 

Absolutely.  I think they did well drafting Singletary, but Moss not so much.  Someone with a different skill set than Singletary would have been better...they are too similar.

The CB position scares me more than any other.  Tre coming off injury and Wallace is a free agent.  We definitely need top end talent there, though they seem to be good at finding corners later in the draft.

I don't care what they take, but they need to perform.  🙂

I don't hate it but that punter is not lasting until the 7th round. BUT I love the Travis Jones pick and a corner high isn't a bad pick. However I would address the O-line higher up and unless there is significant WR investment in free agency or Beasley and Mac are retained I think it is better to go after the secondary in the mid-rounds. 

I like this draft a lot, I think Smith converts to a guard that can play early, while Woolen had a good senior week and will likely measure well at the combine or pro day.  I don’t think he’ll be more than a gadget player in the NFL, a big nickel to cover TEs and a special team contributor.  I think he’s drafted at the right spot in your mock.

57 minutes ago, frogger said:

I like this draft a lot, I think Smith converts to a guard that can play early, while Woolen had a good senior week and will likely measure well at the combine or pro day.  I don’t think he’ll be more than a gadget player in the NFL, a big nickel to cover TEs and a special team contributor.  I think he’s drafted at the right spot in your mock.

I'll have $10 with you that Tariq Woolen goes before the 6th round.

Maybe so, but Woolen ]has little to do with the mock.  Put in any fast CB that will likely be laying around then and take out Woolen.  Points are:

1.  We need to stop the run and push the pocket from the inside - Travis Jones;

2. We need secondary speed desperately - Gordon and Woolen or others;

3. The reason we couldn't run is because of bad line play, not because Singletary is no good (Tyler Smith); we also need a complimentary back (Haskins) and a slot replacement (potentially - thus Philips).  

4. Still need more off the edge given the age of what we have (Mafe); 

5. If we need another weapon or blocker on offense, we can get them as FAs given potential cap savings here (no need to pay a CB2 and potentially Star/Addison/Hughes gone).

9 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

This team does not punt enough to waste a 3rd ,4th, or even 5th round pick on a punter.  

I don't know. We sure punted alot in that last Jets game.  Haack will tell you all about it. If I could lock up a punter possibly better than Moorman for 10yrs and it only costs me a 5th. Josh isn't pitching a perfect game every week.  

Like the Gordon, Jones & Phillips picks. All good value probably. 

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't know. We sure punted alot in that last Jets game.  Haack will tell you all about it. If I could lock up a punter possibly better than Moorman for 10yrs and it only costs me a 5th. Josh isn't pitching a perfect game every week.  

Like the Gordon, Jones & Phillips picks. All good value probably. 

I will say this, we have nine draft picks and I am not sure you can find 9 guys who make this roster. Grabbing a once in a lifetime type of punter makes sense, especially with championship aspirations. The thing is, when our offense did sputter, it usually resulted in a short field for the opposing offense. This dude can flip field position which makes your offense and defense better. Plus he is a lefty which they clearly like. 

I think there is a good chance he goes in the third, 5th the latest. JMO

Edited by MrEpsYtown

On 2/24/2022 at 5:01 PM, MarlinTheMagician said:

Maybe so, but Woolen ]has little to do with the mock.  Put in any fast CB that will likely be laying around then and take out Woolen.  Points are:

1.  We need to stop the run and push the pocket from the inside - Travis Jones;

2. We need secondary speed desperately - Gordon and Woolen or others;

3. The reason we couldn't run is because of bad line play, not because Singletary is no good (Tyler Smith); we also need a complimentary back (Haskins) and a slot replacement (potentially - thus Philips).  

4. Still need more off the edge given the age of what we have (Mafe); 

5. If we need another weapon or blocker on offense, we can get them as FAs given potential cap savings here (no need to pay a CB2 and potentially Star/Addison/Hughes gone).

1 - Agree, it makes everyone better including the outside pass rushers.

2 - I can see this, but how much will they see the field with white/poyer/hyde/johnson starting in 4/5 spots.  

3 - I probably get a complimentary back in free agency.  Even a chase edmonds isn't particularly expensive.  Rookies usually can't block so they tend to see fewer snaps

4 - 3 young guys - lot of power and lot of length - need a bendy or twitchy guy in there

5 - Open to this in most cases, i think WR 3/4 is open for business with a free agent.  Blocker wise i think everythings probably up for grabs except LT and probably RT.  Morse makes too much, and the guard play wasn't particularly inspiring.  Bates will stick for cheap, feliciano and williams weren't overly impressive.  I'd like to see some real talent brought in here in hte 1st or 2nd round.

On 2/24/2022 at 3:21 PM, GunnerBill said:

I'll have $10 with you that Tariq Woolen goes before the 6th round.

I agree, he'll go before the 6th, he's a fantastic athlete and there will be several teams that think they can take a 6'4" 210 pound corner and make him the next Sherman, but he losses his man on the outside and he isn't smooth in his back peddling, ideally he will be converted to a box safety to press TEs on passing downs. 

He would be a good pick up for the Bills in the later round, playing the Dolphins and Pats...along with the growing number of teams with a featured TE (KC for example) a player like Woolen could be a helpful, but you don't draft him early.

but yes the Raiders will likely draft him in the 2nd round, he is their type of player.

44 minutes ago, frogger said:

I agree, he'll go before the 6th, he's a fantastic athlete and there will be several teams that think they can take a 6'4" 210 pound corner and make him the next Sherman, but he losses his man on the outside and he isn't smooth in his back peddling, ideally he will be converted to a box safety to press TEs on passing downs. 

He would be a good pick up for the Bills in the later round, playing the Dolphins and Pats...along with the growing number of teams with a featured TE (KC for example) a player like Woolen could be a helpful, but you don't draft him early.

but yes the Raiders will likely draft him in the 2nd round, he is their type of player.

I agree his best position in the NFL is likely safety, I said that in my Senior Bowl write up. I think he will go day 2.... late 2nd / early 3rd. Personally I have an early day 3 grade on him but the size / speed / weight measurables will intrigue a team who think they can coach him up further. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/23/2022 at 5:48 PM, MarlinTheMagician said:

I have run the draft simulator on PFF about 100 times.  Sad, I know.  So I have concluded we should trade down.  Of course, I Trust the Process and Beane is a wizard.  So doing my best Beane, here is a shot at a mock that I liked - thoughts?  Tyler Smith is listed at tackle, but he is a guard for us in this mock, projected to slide inside:

Round 1:  Trade down, we get 35 and 67 from Houston for 25 and 127

Round 2 (Pick 35); Kyler Gordon, CB, Wash;

Round 2 (Pick 57); Travis Jones, DL, Conn;

Round 3 (Pick 67); Tyler Smith, G/T, Tulsa

Round 3 (Pick 89); Boye Mafe, Edge, Minn

Round 5 (Pick 166) Hassan Haskins, RB, Mich

Round 6 (Pick 184) Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA

Round 6 (Pick 202) Kyle Philips, WR, UCLA

Round 7 (Pick 242) Matt Ariaza, P, San Diego State

I liked this about the best of all the mocks I ran.  Fire away!

So glad to hear I'm not the only one who's done this a hundred times.😃

The Bills defense needs players that will give them versatility to play differently when teams come heavy run at them or the elements dictate a slogfest.  I think the scheme they run is vulnerable to certain players but the players they have are skilled and generally doing what the staff wants. No draft is going to fix some of those issues unless they unearth a transcendent talent.  They can literally pick bpa on defense for a number of reasons and I don’t think there would be much argument from me.

the interior line needs an upgrade and younger depth.  Kromer is a good coach but you have got to give him some young talent to mold.  They need to be eyeing a replacement for Morse.  They also need a short yardage back to take some punishment off of Allen. They can find this in FA or UDFA but I’m really a big fan of the complete game of Damien Pierce who is an excellent pass blocker, receiver, short yardage back with a nose for the endzone. 

1 hour ago, Ayjent said:

The Bills defense needs players that will give them versatility to play differently when teams come heavy run at them or the elements dictate a slogfest.  I think the scheme they run is vulnerable to certain players but the players they have are skilled and generally doing what the staff wants. No draft is going to fix some of those issues unless they unearth a transcendent talent.  They can literally pick bpa on defense for a number of reasons and I don’t think there would be much argument from me.

the interior line needs an upgrade and younger depth.  Kromer is a good coach but you have got to give him some young talent to mold.  They need to be eyeing a replacement for Morse.  They also need a short yardage back to take some punishment off of Allen. They can find this in FA or UDFA but I’m really a big fan of the complete game of Damien Pierce who is an excellent pass blocker, receiver, short yardage back with a nose for the endzone. 

I like Pierce as well. Also like Alec Pierce WR from Cincinnati.  Maybe 2 Pierce's for the price of one.😁

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/23/2022 at 5:48 PM, MarlinTheMagician said:

I have run the draft simulator on PFF about 100 times.  Sad, I know.  So I have concluded we should trade down.  Of course, I Trust the Process and Beane is a wizard.  So doing my best Beane, here is a shot at a mock that I liked - thoughts?  Tyler Smith is listed at tackle, but he is a guard for us in this mock, projected to slide inside:

Round 1:  Trade down, we get 35 and 67 from Houston for 25 and 127

Round 2 (Pick 35); Kyler Gordon, CB, Wash;

Round 2 (Pick 57); Travis Jones, DL, Conn;

Round 3 (Pick 67); Tyler Smith, G/T, Tulsa

Round 3 (Pick 89); Boye Mafe, Edge, Minn

Round 5 (Pick 166) Hassan Haskins, RB, Mich

Round 6 (Pick 184) Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA

Round 6 (Pick 202) Kyle Philips, WR, UCLA

Round 7 (Pick 242) Matt Ariaza, P, San Diego State

I liked this about the best of all the mocks I ran.  Fire away!

I kind of like the Ariana pick...will he last until the 7th? Overall seems like a good mix and addresses needs. I'll look into each player to learn more.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.