Marlin's Mock

MarlinTheMagician

I have run the draft simulator on PFF about 100 times.  Sad, I know.  So I have concluded we should trade down.  Of course, I Trust the Process and Beane is a wizard.  So doing my best Beane, here is a shot at a mock that I liked - thoughts?  Tyler Smith is listed at tackle, but he is a guard for us in this mock, projected to slide inside:

Round 1:  Trade down, we get 35 and 67 from Houston for 25 and 127

Round 2 (Pick 35); Kyler Gordon, CB, Wash;

Round 2 (Pick 57); Travis Jones, DL, Conn;

Round 3 (Pick 67); Tyler Smith, G/T, Tulsa

Round 3 (Pick 89); Boye Mafe, Edge, Minn

Round 5 (Pick 166) Hassan Haskins, RB, Mich

Round 6 (Pick 184) Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA

Round 6 (Pick 202) Kyle Philips, WR, UCLA

Round 7 (Pick 242) Matt Ariaza, P, San Diego State

I liked this about the best of all the mocks I ran.  Fire away!

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

And I saw that I had a "notification" that someone commented on one of my old posts.  Funny, I remember typing this.  Even a blind dog sees it right once in a while:

April 2018

So stoked.  Feel we got better talent at 7 and 16 than Browns got at 1 & 4.  Allen is by all accounts a worker, he has elite arm talent, great running skills and ENORMOUS hands.  Lighted up if you had a man crush on another - he is now our man!  

Lighten

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Another year of waiting till the third to take offense. No thanks. 

We had and have plenty of offense to win.  D kept us out of the dance.  And we get lots of offense help in this mock - read up on Tyler Smith, Haskins is a horse, read up on Philips - Beasley reprised.  Lots of help for an offense that doesn't need lots of help in this draft.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I have run the draft simulator on PFF about 100 times.  Sad, I know.  So I have concluded we should trade down.  Of course, I Trust the Process and Beane is a wizard.  So doing my best Beane, here is a shot at a mock that I liked - thoughts?  Tyler Smith is listed at tackle, but he is a guard for us in this mock, projected to slide inside:

Round 1:  Trade down, we get 35 and 67 from Houston for 25 and 127

Round 2 (Pick 35); Kyler Gordon, CB, Wash;

Round 2 (Pick 57); Travis Jones, DL, Conn;

Round 3 (Pick 67); Tyler Smith, G/T, Tulsa

Round 3 (Pick 89); Boye Mafe, Edge, Minn

Round 5 (Pick 166) Hassan Haskins, RB, Mich

Round 6 (Pick 184) Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA

Round 7 (Pick 242) Matt Ariaza, P, San Diego State

I liked this about the best of all the mocks I ran.  Fire away!

Mafe and Woolen no way last to where you have them. Two Senior Bowl stand outs. Mafe might get to the third but if he does he goes early on it. Woolen doesn't make it out of round 4 at worst. 

26 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I really want the Bills to draft this guy, but I promise you he will not last to the sixth round.....if the Bills want him they will likely have to take him with their 4th rounder, IMO.

I don’t mind the move down if nobody has slipped to us, wouldn’t have an issue with your positional picks either.  I would like to see a playmaker added, if they land a guy like Kirk, no need, but if not, I’d like to see someone who can get something from nothing added to the roster. Personal hope is a WR slips in the first and we capitalize, then grab a corner, from there it’s whatever makes sense based on the board. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

And I saw that I had a "notification" that someone commented on one of my old posts.  Funny, I remember typing this.  Even a blind dog sees it right once in a while:

April 2018

So stoked.  Feel we got better talent at 7 and 16 than Browns got at 1 & 4.  Allen is by all accounts a worker, he has elite arm talent, great running skills and ENORMOUS hands.  Lighted up if you had a man crush on another - he is now our man!  

Lighten

We had and have plenty of offense to win.  D kept us out of the dance.  And we get lots of offense help in this mock - read up on Tyler Smith, Haskins is a horse, read up on Philips - Beasley reprised.  Lots of help for an offense that doesn't need lots of help in this draft.

We literally had the number one ranked defense in the longest regular season in nfl history. I think you are forgetting that the offense was pretty shaky for a fairly significant stretch towards the middle of the season. Allen was literally doing everything by himself. Had no one to block for him. Guys weren’t getting open. He was the leading rusher. Etc. 

We need to get younger on offense.  We also need to get more experience on defense.  We can’t rest on our laurels and expect the same results. What do teams do at halftime even with a lead?  They plan and make adjustments because they know the other team is doing the same things. Can’t be predictable. We can still upgrade on the offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

We literally had the number one ranked defense in the longest regular season in nfl history. I think you are forgetting that the offense was pretty shaky for a fairly significant stretch towards the middle of the season. Allen was literally doing everything by himself. Had no one to block for him. Guys weren’t getting open. He was the leading rusher. Etc. 

We need to get younger on offense.  We also need to get more experience on defense.  We can’t rest on our laurels and expect the same results. What do teams do at halftime even with a lead?  They plan and make adjustments because they know the other team is doing the same things. Can’t be predictable. We can still upgrade on the offense.

I think we follow our MO….Sign a FA WR (probably on an affordable one year deal)  Sign Bates, ask Feliciano and Williams to take pay cuts, Draft an OL in the third round (again) but the first two picks will be defense again. Hopefully, this time the Bills hit the jackpot, upgrade the defense….and win a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

April 2018

Lighten

Imo this past season, it wasn’t all on the D players, some of it is on the coaches decisions and instructions that never made it to the players or didn’t put them in a position to succeed.

We absolutely must have better O-Line play, all season long, it’s a must. We can’t wait until the middle to late third round to select above average O-Line talent, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I think we follow our MO….Sign a FA WR (probably on an affordable one year deal)  Sign Bates, ask Feliciano and Williams to take pay cuts, Draft an OL in the third round (again) but the first two picks will be defense again. Hopefully, this time the Bills hit the jackpot, upgrade the defense….and win a Super Bowl.

Awesome. Meanwhile, Jameson Williams falls to the chiefs and our first round corner can’t stop him in the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

We absolutely must have better O-Line play, all season long, it’s a must. We can’t wait until the middle to late third round to select above average O-Line talent, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

We definitely need better offensive linemen, but it does not matter where they are drafted. Unless you are getting a slam dunk elite player, like Ronnie Stanley, Trent Williams, Quentin Nelson, Brandon Scherff, can’t miss guys, there are so many terrible linemen who are just totally over-drafted. The Andre Dillards, Mike Williams of old, guys who had flaws in their games but fit a need. That is bad drafting imo. 

Look at free agency this year. UDFAs like Andrew Norwell are out there. Heck Laken Tomlinson and Austin Corbett are former failed high picks who were acquired for peanuts and found their game, just like Wyatt Teller. The Eagles spent a first round pick on a terrible Andre Dillard, and their starting left tackle, who is turning into one of the best in the league, is a former rugby player drafted in the seventh round. Just find good players who fit what you want to accomplish.  I also think it is important to consider RAS and draft elite, projectable athletes, guys like Spencer Brown (3rd) and Tommy Doyle(5th), Ryan Bates (UDFA traded for Eli Harold.) 

• Like (+1) 3

I don't follow college football so I can't name names but here's what I want positionally:

Round 1:   OL

Round 2:  OL

Round 3:  OL

Okay, I jest...  but only a little.  When Allen has a 'bad' game, it's either because of bad weather (and we're throwing anyway because we can't run), or because Josh is running for his life.

In either case, we need better linemen.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It matters not what people think. Many folks  don’t even have the slightest clue in terms of which player will be even remotely decent when they reach the NFL.

Even if you have a light to moderate feel for the draft you’re doing better than most fans. Oh the hell I caught for wanting us to draft Josh Allen and the flogging I took for also having a high grade on Boogie Basham. Yet the idiots cling to each other in droves because they have strength in numbers and they know that their stupid takes will be buried under thousands of pages of nonsense that no one will ever see again in the following years later.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.