Great timing - Bill introduced to eliminate tax subsidy for pro sports stadiums

The 9 Isles

On 2/23/2022 at 10:35 AM, Limeaid said:

Considering almost every senator or representative ends up much richer when they leave office or are in office for substantial period of time sometimes cashing in donations when they retire they should stop feeding off the public trough. The Senate and House of Representatives has proven many times that it can’t play by the rules and when they are caught they change the rules.

They cant cash in donations for themselves... trying not to make a political statement but that statement is inaccurate... doesnt mean they cant use it for something that benefits an interest of their's but nothing directly just sayin

11 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

On the surface it may not look like it but it’s actually the government participating in free market principles for once. Team goes to the place that has the highest amount offered to the stadium. 

No such thing as a free market when entry and exit is controlled by an entity.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:07 AM, msw2112 said:

In order for a small market to compete with larger markets and get or retain a team, the community may need to step up and help out. 

Green Bay is a smaller market than Buffalo, and they have what is considered one of the better stadiums in the league, funded through a sales tax.

14 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

Most of your taxes are wasted on bloated government bureaucracies or outright stolen. Might as well spend some tax bucks on something we appreciate.

As a former Western New Yorker, I appreciate you all subsidizing my favorite team who I wouldn’t root for in any other city if they moved.

Hey you could be the great state of RI, who gave 75 million to Curt Shilling to develop a video game that went bankrupt and lost it all. You think your politicians are idiots? RI leads the nation in incompetent and corrupt government. But, since less than 50% of us actually pay income taxes to the Fed or State, most people here don’t care.

Obviously, you've never been to NJ

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

They cant cash in donations for themselves... trying not to make a political statement but that statement is inaccurate... doesnt mean they cant use it for something that benefits an interest of their's but nothing directly just sayin

No such thing as a free market when entry and exit is controlled by an entity.

You don’t understand free market systems but this is not the place to discuss given it’s a Buffalo bills message board. I’ll digress and agree to disagree. 

On 2/23/2022 at 11:18 AM, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

If this passes ( which I doubt)...say goodbye to the Bills.

But, the way government operates, by the time this passes, the new stadium will have been built.

This would only affect federal funding via tax breaks.  The new stadium is funded.

NYS governor can splurge all she/he wants on billionaire gifts.  

This would have massively affected the funding of Yankee stadium, Citifield, etc....

5 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

You don’t understand free market systems but this is not the place to discuss given it’s a Buffalo bills message board. I’ll digress and agree to disagree. 

Yes I do... there are degrees of free markets and yes there are elements, just not a truly free market, but agree not the place...

On 2/23/2022 at 9:34 AM, JoPoy88 said:

Very unlikely this even gets to a vote, let alone passes. 

Edit: as others have said, this is likely a tactic from Congress to persuade the NFL to cooperate with their sexual harassment inquiries. Owners (including the Bills’) looking to build new stadiums now are more likely to place more pressure on their peers to dial back their stalling and obstruction.

Anything that gets Dan Snyder out of the league asap I’m on board with.

And Hamslam

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/23/2022 at 8:47 AM, CA OC Bills Fan said:

Although I dislike (hate?) the idea of taxpayers paying for stadiums, having laws to determine free markets always have consequences. In this case, it means it's easier for teams to move for the best deal and less likely that smaller markets that won't support high stadium prices will lose teams.

Never thought of it that way but small markets are at a disadvantage for sure especially when they are up against the likes of Dallas & others like them .

Given all the monies that the NFL makes and for the most part a lot of the revenue that is generated goes directly to them 1 way or another they should have to put up at least half of the cash for new stadiums .

The only thing with the NFL owning these stadiums and the cities not paying for them if they have concerts & such those monies generated would have to go t the NFL also & the only thing the cities would get is the tax revenue off these properties correct ? 

So seeing as this year the Bills stadium is bring ing in Garth & the possibility of others they can make more monies off the stadium that would go directly to the state or county for up keep & use what ever is left over for other state funded things or just to pay off the note so it's kind of a double edged sword .

Or am i thinking wrong i have been known to before .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.