Article - Six free agents Buffalo should target

BillsFan619

9 hours ago, 947 said:

No to Marlon Mack. If he goes on to have NFL success post-achilles tear, he'll be first RB to do it in NFL history. Let somebody else gamble on that...

I like the rest of those possibilities though, particularly Ogbah & Corbett.

Cam Akers came back from a torn achilles this season and was great.

D'Onta Foreman came back from a torn achilles this season and was great.

Medical technology has come a long way the past several years. Mack has had plenty of time to recover... it could be a steal.

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Am I living in a bizarro world?!  You really think Fitz runs a comparable offense to Allen?!  What!!!

Yes, Mariota and Taylor are very well versed in RPO offense and Taylor is very strong on play action, much like Josh.

Fitz is all about anticipation, Allen is far from that.

The RPO is only a part of the Bills offense. And if you don't think Allen throws with anticipation I don't know what to say to you. 

The Bills offense is an E-P spread varient essentially. It runs 11 personnel as base and more 4 and 5 wide than most teams in the NFL. The receivers run many more option route concepts than timing route concepts. 

Mariota and Taylor both had their success running primarily option offenses that run 12 personnel as their base and require extremely disciplined timing route running from their receivers. 

If you want to use your Quarterback in the run game then sure, Mariota and Taylor are more similar. But in terms of being able to run your same pass game concepts Fitpatrick is infinitely more familiar with the type of stuff the Bills run.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I would’ve said this was true in Allen’s first two years. He often waited to see the receiver come open before letting the ball go. These last two years he has absolutely been an anticipatory thrower. He throws well before receivers are out of their break and some of his INTs have come because he and the receiver weren’t on the same page (meaning Allen didn’t wait for the receiver to come open, he threw it to where he thought he would be). Not coincidentally, his production jumped when the anticipatory throws became more routine. I’m sure much of that had to do with his trust in Diggs.

We are bottom half of the league in YAC and Allen has the most time between snap and throwing the ball.

He is not an anticipation thrower on a consistent basis, in comparison to other QBs.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=231

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The RPO is only a part of the Bills offense. And if you don't think Allen throws with anticipation I don't know what to say to you. 

The Bills offense is an E-P spread varient essentially. It runs 11 personnel as base and more 4 and 5 wide than most teams in the NFL. The receivers run many more option route concepts than timing route concepts. 

Mariota and Taylor both had their success running primarily option offenses that run 12 personnel as their base and require extremely disciplined timing route running from their receivers. 

If you want to use your Quarterback in the run game then sure, Mariota and Taylor are more similar. But in terms of being able to run your same pass game concepts Fitpatrick is infinitely more familiar with the type of stuff the Bills run.

Fitzpatrick near top of league with speed of snap to ball out, Allen last in league last year.

They play completely different games.  And yes, the QB running is a huge part of what makes our offense roll.  RPO is not just a little part of our team.  It's a constant threat.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php?year=2020

Edited by Back2Buff

17 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

We are bottom half of the league in YAC and Allen has the most time between snap and throwing the ball.

He is not an anticipation thrower on a consistent basis, in comparison to other QBs.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=231

Fitzpatrick near top of league with speed of snap to ball out, Allen last in league last year.

They play completely different games.  And yes, the QB running is a huge part of what makes our offense roll.  RPO is not just a little part of our team.  It's a constant threat.

The poor YAC not only reflects the ability of our offensive personnel, but also Allen’s ball placement, which could still use improvement. I don’t know if you heard Beane say “we need a player who can turn a 5 yard pass into a 60 yard TD” because he knows that player isn’t on our roster at the moment.

Who are the QBs you’re comparing Allen to in terms of anticipatory throws? I’ll give you Brady and Rodgers, but comparing their game - 2 of the best at it - to Allen doesn’t take away from the fact he does regularly throw with anticipation. Bad take.

19 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Again you are focusing on the players and not the scheme. Mariota could not run our offense. It requires the Quarterback to read the coverage pre and post snap and to know what the receiver is going to read off that coverage. Mariota would be confused and befuddled and throw the ball into the ground a LOT. Tyrod can't read a defense to save his life. Yes Fitz plays the position differently to Josh. But he could operate our offense - at least the passing concepts thereof. Mariota and Taylor couldn't. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I take issue with the belief that Braxton Berrios can replace Beasley. He is not a great route runner and is not a shifty, always open option. 

I know others will disagree, but I agree with you as well.

I hope we keep Beasley. I think he still has some left in the tank.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I take issue with the belief that Braxton Berrios can replace Beasley. He is not a great route runner and is not a shifty, always open option. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2769275-braxton-berrios-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-new-england-patriots-pick.amp.html

He led the NFL in kickoff return avg. He was 2nd in punt return avg. Cole is almost 33 and will be slowing down.  We can't exactly trust McKenzie or Stevenson on returns. He is young,  quick (4.44) and could easily rotate with Isaiah in the slot. Remember nobody shines when they go to the Jets. His projected contract would be around 5.9/yr. That's not exactly breaking the bank.  Just sayin?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Corbett would be a modest savings versus Daryl Williams.  Ogbah would be good, but on the pricey side.  The others would be good value picks.  I don't know that Beane would want to make the cap room to sign all of them. 

At first I thought Ogbah would project to 10M/yr. I was wrong,  he projects to 15.5 which is getting into Chandler Jones territory. I need more than 8-9 sacks for 15-17M.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

At first I thought Ogbah would project to 10M/yr. I was wrong,  he projects to 15.5 which is getting into Chandler Jones territory. I need more than 8-9 sacks for 15-17M.

Yep. If you are getting him at the $7.5m the Fins have had him at the last two years he is great value. I doubt he gets $15.5m AAV but he will be higher than $10m and at that price he a pass for me. Especially because he is not an every down player. He can't play the run. He played 67% of the Fins defensive snaps in 2021. But 71% of the snaps he played were passing downs. And that is because he is a liability in run defense. Pass rush > run defense don't get me wrong but at those sorts of cap $$s you better be a well rounded player. 

• Like (+1) 2

Fitz is coming off a pretty serious injury. The curse is so strong it even got HIM as the starting QB.

Also, with the QB market being pretty dry and a lot of teams looking for upgrades he could be in line for a chance to start with some teams. 

Berrios is reportedly looking for $9M/season. That's a bit pricey.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/88872/new-york-jets-mull-tough-free-agent-decisions-including-braxton-berrios

I've been mentioning Corbett a bit and he even has some C flexibility. Would definitely like Mack.

Ogbah and Ward both strike me as the typical Free Agents that are really good, but will be paid like they are great.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.