Article - Six free agents Buffalo should target

BillsFan619

13 hours ago, 947 said:

No to Marlon Mack. If he goes on to have NFL success post-achilles tear, he'll be first RB to do it in NFL history. Let somebody else gamble on that...

I like the rest of those possibilities though, particularly Ogbah & Corbett.

D’onta Foreman just did it filling in for Henry 

35 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Fitz is coming off a pretty serious injury. The curse is so strong it even got HIM as the starting QB.

Also, with the QB market being pretty dry and a lot of teams looking for upgrades he could be in line for a chance to start with some teams. 

Berrios is reportedly looking for $9M/season. That's a bit pricey.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/88872/new-york-jets-mull-tough-free-agent-decisions-including-braxton-berrios

I've been mentioning Corbett a bit and he even has some C flexibility. Would definitely like Mack.

Ogbah and Ward both strike me as the typical Free Agents that are really good, but will be paid like they are great.

Wouldn't pay a dime over 6/yr for Berrios but I would love his return skills on this team. Wouldn't pay Ogbah over 10 because of his run stop deficiencies. Sign a younger Kyle Allen. It's interesting once you research what these guys want, all of a sudden they're not exactly value guys. Maybe a couple come here to win a SB on a friendly deal?

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Cam Akers came back from a torn achilles this season and was great.

D'Onta Foreman came back from a torn achilles this season and was great.

Medical technology has come a long way the past several years. Mack has had plenty of time to recover... it could be a steal.

Akers was terrible when he came back (2.4 YPC with 0 TDs). The insistence of the Rams to shoehorn him back into the lineup over Henderson and Michel almost lost them a couple playoff games including the Super Bowl.

Foreman looked pretty good although Hilliard was much better in the same offense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2769275-braxton-berrios-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-new-england-patriots-pick.amp.html

He led the NFL in kickoff return avg. He was 2nd in punt return avg. Cole is almost 33 and will be slowing down.  We can't exactly trust McKenzie or Stevenson on returns. He is young,  quick (4.44) and could easily rotate with Isaiah in the slot. Remember nobody shines when they go to the Jets. His projected contract would be around 5.9/yr. That's not exactly breaking the bank.  Just sayin?

So you agree with me. He isn't a replacement for Beasley, he is a replacement for Lil Dirty.

14 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

For those who can't get behind the paywall:

1) Ryan Fitzpatrick QB

2) Marlon Mack RB

3) Braxton Berrios WR

4) Austin Corbett G

5) Emmanuel Ogbah Edge

6) Charvarius Ward CB

I would be interested in Mack, Corbett and Odbah.

Berrios is intriguing if Beasely isn't back but still think that's a longshot and he'll probably restructure and stay.

38 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

So you agree with me. He isn't a replacement for Beasley, he is a replacement for Lil Dirty.

Not exactly, the whole idea is to get younger. I would rotate Berrios & McKenzie at slot and give Berrios 100% of the return duties. Cut Beasley (33) and Sanders (34). Try to sign Berrios to 6/yr and Lil Dirty to 5/ yr.  If either or both want more, than keep Beasley on a more friendly short term restructure.  I just think Cole's tank is almost empty. Either way we'll need a return guy and Beasley, McKenzie & Stevenson are not the answer. Cordarrelle would be nice but more expensive than all 3 of these guys. 

15 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

1) Ryan Fitzpatrick QB

2) Marlon Mack RB

3) Braxton Berrios WR

4) Austin Corbett G

5) Emmanuel Ogbah Edge

6) Charvarius Ward CB

I would be thrilled if this was the FA class but it’s not really accurate.  The Bills will be lucky if they can get 2 or 3 of these players.

The players I would really like are Ogbah and Corbett.  I would be thrilled if those two were our signings.

20 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

1.  Yes to Fitz - need QB backup.  If he comes at the reasonable price, definetely.

2.  No to Mack - Not enough increase over Singletary - and too expensive.  Draft one, and wait and get vet RB cheap dregs (like Fournette fell to Tampa)

3.  Maybe to Berrios - depends on Beas renegotiations and McK possibilities.  Plus draft pick.

4.  Yes to Corbett!  Absolutely, and has worked with Kromer

5.  No to Ogbah.  Get a higher profile better DLman - Von Miller/C Jones/Clowney

6.  No to Ward - draft pick instead

7.  Bonus-- Yes to Gronk.  Need a TE2

I like Sal's ideas, they just need a little tweaking.

my picks

QB:

Dream- Ryan Fitzpatrick 

Bargain- Jacoby Brissett

RB: 

Dream- Cordarelle Patterson 

Bargain- JD McKissic

WR: 

Dream- Byron Pringle

Bargain- Albert Wilson

OL:

Dream- Austin Corbett

Bargain- Austin Blythe

DE:

Dream- Chandler Jones

Bargain- Jerry Hughes

DT:

Dream- BJ Hill

Bargain- Austin Johnson

LB:

Dream- Cut AJ Klein

Bargain- Really, Cut AJ Klein

CB: 

Dream- Donte Jackson

Bargain- Sidney Jones or Ahkello Witherspoon

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, TBBills said:

How is Fitz even on the list? The Bills don't have enough money to pay for a vet QB let alone one that is horribly cursed.  I hate when they throw names out there just for the sake of filling g up an article.

They are going to have to bring in a Vet QB one way or the other. Why not Fitz. With injury, he would probably come pretty cheap and positive in Locker room 

Berrios at the price referenced (sub-6M) would be a SMART signing. His fits in the slot and the return game would be ideal. 

Ogbah at the price referenced (plus-10M) would be LESS smart, IMO. Which is much more about the price than the player. Solid LDE in a base 4-3. Better version of Shaq Lawson, if you will. But that price doesn't mesh with current cap and draft resource allocations. Which is the issue with FA. 

That OG is super meh at the price referenced (~8M), when we could have Bates at less than half that and already have Williams at just over it (who seems like a similarly effective player just with tackle flex rather than center flex). Maybe moving to a more zone-heavy scheme recalibrates o-line assessments? Devalues Williams and elevates Bates? Therefore opening the door to replace Williams with someone like whoever this Rams guy is? Could be. I'm losing focus.

8 hours ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

They are going to have to bring in a Vet QB one way or the other. Why not Fitz. With injury, he would probably come pretty cheap and positive in Locker room 

No they dont... they don't need a vet QB don't know where you thought that up.

Locker room doesn't matter since Josh is the QB.

Edited by TBBills

24 minutes ago, TBBills said:

No they dont... they don't need a vet QB don't know where you thought that up.

Locker room doesn't matter since Josh is the QB.

They do need a vet. They don't currently have a single other QB on the roster. The choice for them is do they go for a higher end, credible, backup or do they go for a Matt Barkley / Logan Woodside / CJ Beathard type. 

If you want to argue that they should do the latter, and pay a guy close to vet minimum I can take that argument. But they can't stand pat with one Quarterback and then a guy they draft on day 3 in April (and it isn't actually a great class for day 3 developmental guys). 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, TBBills said:

You don't need a vet most teams with starting QBs draft rookies.  

Your second paragraph  is exactly what teams do.

It isn't. It really, really isn't. In 2021 there were zero teams whose #2 Quarterback was a rookie drafted on day 3. 

You are simply incorrect. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.