Get Christian McCaffery to be our #1... slot WR...???

transplantbillsfan

The Panthers are not trading Christian McCaffrey for Beasley, a 3rd, and a 5th. I was going to say that this isn't Madden, but then I realized that this trade would never happen in Madden either.

If the Bills somehow did trade for McCaffrey (as part of a different trade package that would need to include better compensation, and not a 33 year old WR on the last year of a deal), they wouldn't be trading for him to use as a slot WR. Maybe a hybrid RB and WR, but primarily as an RB.

Regardless, I just don't see this trade happening in any scenario.

Edited by Tommy
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just love to read these pie in the sky trade scenarios,

Go Bills!!!

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

The Panthers are not trading Christian McCaffrey for Beasley, a 3rd, and a 5th. I was going to say that this isn't Madden, but then I realized that this trade would never happen in Madden either.

If the Bills somehow did trade for McCaffrey (as part of a different trade package that would need to include better compensation, and not a 33 year old WR on the last year of a deal), they wouldn't be trading for him to use as a slot WR. Maybe a hybrid RB and WR, but primarily as an RB.

Agreed. That compensation was suggested by the author of the linked article in the OP, and I have no idea how or why he thought that would even be considered.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Tommy said:

McCaffrey has barely cleared 1000 scrimmage yards in the past two years combined.  Running backs don't tend to get more productive (or healthier) after their age 25 season.   Panthers could easily see it as getting some value back for damaged goods. 

On offense just look what happens when Josh targets the hot hand, against KC in that playoff game, Gabe Davis, 8 receptions, 201 yards, 4 TDs. Yea, Gabe Davis!

Isaiah Mckenzie against the Patriots, 11 rec for 125, 1 TD. 

The Bills already have good talent on the roster in skill positions and when you give Josh Allen time to hit those guys...it shows up. 

While McCaffrey might be a godsend to a bad team...all I see it doing is costing the Bills more than they can afford money wise and takes touches from other players like Diggs, Davis, Knox, others. 

2019, 287 rushing attempts, 116 receptions for 2392 total yards, good lord...they burned him out. 

• Sad 1

I think, if I'm reading the contract details correctly, that Carolina takes an almost $27M cap hit if they cut or trade him this year. It's not really feasible to move him until 2023 so I don't think he's going anywhere. 

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

McCaffrey has barely cleared 1000 scrimmage yards in the past two years combined.  Running backs don't tend to get more productive (or healthier) after their age 25 season.   Panthers could easily see it as getting some value back for damaged goods. 

I understand what you are saying, but I don't believe that the Panthers are actively looking to cut bait on him. Even if they were, I don't think they would move him for that kind of package (i.e. "taking a loss," so to speak). For them to consider moving him, I think that it would take a return that would be more in line with the player that earned the large contract, and not a return that assumes he is just going to be hurt moving forward.

Respectfully, we may just need to agree to disagree. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Agreed. That compensation was suggested by the author of the linked article in the OP, and I have no idea how or why he thought that would even be considered.

And yet, there are a decent amount of people on here that are saying "No way".  

For me, I'd love to see them throw in Edmunds on a deal like this.  I think this would be a great way to move on from that looming decision.

12 hours ago, Success said:

Players are injury prone, until they're not.

What I always ask myself is, "What if KC or one of our division rivals made this move?"

It would be very concerning. And the reaction around the league if the Bills did it would be a collective groan (from non-Bills fans, of course).

What the initial reaction is of rival fans isn't really the question you should be asking yourself.  Look no further than our reactions when the Chiefs signed Le'Veon Bell or Josh Gordon.  The signing of shiny, previously productive, big name toys always get a big reaction from your average fan.

I'm not completely against the idea of swinging a deal for McCaffrey, but let's acknowledge that it is a high risk move and there is a fairly decent chance he ends up no more productive than Singletary/Moss given his injury history.

48 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Same team that was still paying Cam to bring in Bridgewater. Then traded a second, fourth and sixth for Darnold and picked up his fifth year option before he played….. while still paying Bridgewater???

Is that the team that wouldn’t do a foolish trade to unburden themselves of a player who they signed to a ridiculous contract?

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

I just love to read these pie in the sky trade scenarios,

Go Bills!!!

The offseason is indeed long. 

I have to keep reminding myself, only I can control what I click on. I’m just not very good at self-restraint. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Exactly! A voice of reason is refreshing. MC Craffrey is too much of a risk. I'd rather have C. Patterson who would be great in the Bills offense and special teams. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the Panthers beat the hell out of him in 2019 when he had 403 touches and 2392 yards from scrimmage, and he hasn't recovered yet

Agreed. So, the question now is did they run him into the ground (in 2018 and 2019) and he is finished, or with only 10 games played over the last two years has his body had time to recover? Yes, he was placed on IR to finish both 2020 and 2021, but he probably could have come back from both injuries before the end of the season, but with Carolina basically already out of the playoffs both years, they decided to shut McCaffrey down and not risk further damage. And last year, he had already been on IR earlier in the year, so the second IR ended his season per rules. The Panthers were 5-7 at the time with 5 games left (they still had to play Buffalo and Tampa Bay twice), and McCaffrey was probably going to miss 4 weeks. So, they shut him down.

So, the good news is he is not recouping from a major injury this offseason, he should have a fully healthy offseason. And his injuries weren't major knee injuries, etc. They were ankle sprains, muscle (hamstring), etc. Yes, ankles can be chronic, but none of the injuries were major or something that might slow him down, or have long term effects.  And I think our training staff could help keep him healthier if his body isn't totally shot (especially from the soft tissue injuries). I'm comfortable leaving the final decision about his health going forward to Beane and the Bills medical staff if a trade scenario was to be investigated.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

The offseason is indeed long. 

I have to keep reminding myself, only I can control what I click on. I’m just not very good at self-restraint. 🤷‍♂️

I hear ya, it’s like a Bill Burr comedy skit in my head when I read thread titles, I’m trying to be good so Hapless doesn’t have to scold me…, 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.