Get Christian McCaffery to be our #1... slot WR...???

transplantbillsfan

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/cole-beasley-christian-mccaffrey-trade/amp/

I gotta be honest, I really like this. We all know the Carolina pipeline is real and with Beane there helping to draft him and Dorsey in Carolina his rookie year this gets even more realistic.

The proposal (by Spotrac) is to trade Beasley and a 3rd & 5th round pick for McCaffery as he takes the role he's theoretically better suited for as a slot WR. Of course he'd be able to play more of the hybrid WR/RB role that kinda took over the league last year and we know he'd be effective if he can stay healthy... and we all know that's a big if.

And as for what we could afford, it'd basically be an even trade in terms of what we owe Beas and what we'd owe McCaffery.

I completely acknowledge this would be a gamble because the guy just can't stay healthy, but turning him into a slot WR has gotta help with that a bit. The best ability is availability and McCaffery has been unavailable so much, but I actually this might be the reason the Panthers would be willing to part with him. And when he is on the field, he's one of the best players in the NFL.

I know we have a thread asking about players that might push us over the hump and I was gonna put this in there, but I think this very specific proposal for this player would be intriguing. I like this idea better than trading for Saquan as RB1.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 10

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see either Barkley or EMC in a Bills uniform next season.  Given our connection to both teams/front offices, the trade lines here are there for something to happen.  I think both guys could benefit from a change of scenery and better training facilities.  

In terms of health issues, EMC is more concerning.  I would be less concerned about Barkley health issues, as EMC seems to have a lot of soft tissue issues which can be more chronic.  Barkley were a couple bad breaks more than something that seems chronic.  

But I think either of these guys are potential candidates to land here in trade in this offseason.  Not saying its a sure thing, but I think its possible Beane at least checks in on both these guys availability.  

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Yes, let's trade for an often injured running back making 15M+ to play slot receiver.  That'll put us over the top

I love the off-season

13 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Lot of money for a slot receiver.  How much slot has he played in his career?

I dont think you guys read the article.  His cap hit is almost a wash with Beasley in trade according to the article.  Says he has $8.1M cap hit and Beasley in trade clears over $7M in space.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see either Barkley or EMC in a Bills uniform next season.  Given our connection to both teams/front offices, the trade lines here are there for something to happen.  I think both guys could benefit from a change of scenery and better training facilities.  

In terms of health issues, EMC is more concerning.  I would be less concerned about Barkley health issues, as EMC seems to have a lot of soft tissue issues which can be more chronic.  Barkley were a couple bad breaks more than something that seems chronic.  

But I think either of these guys are potential candidates to land here in trade in this offseason.  Not saying its a sure thing, but I think its possible Beane at least checks in on both these guys availability.  

I want nothing to do with Barkley. He is abysmal. If you've never watched a Giants game, you wouldn't understand and you'd want him because of his pedigree.

He does not put his head down and hit the hole. For as gigantic as he is, he runs like he's afraid of contact. He bounces every chance he gets and will never grind out a 1 or 2 yard gain. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont think you guys read the article.  His cap hit is almost a wash with Beasley in trade according to the article.  Says he has $8.1M cap hit and Beasley in trade clears over $7M in space.  

I don't need to read some speculative off-season article to decide that trading for Christian McCaffrey is a really bad idea.  His best football is already behind him and you don't trade for that paycheck, no matter what

17 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Jesus Christ

That says it all about another brilliant off-season idea

• Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I want nothing to do with Barkley. He is abysmal. If you've never watched a Giants game, you wouldn't understand and you'd want him because of his pedigree.

He does not put his head down and hit the hole. For as gigantic as he is, he runs like he's afraid of contact. He bounces every chance he gets and will never grind out a 1 or 2 yard gain. 

I have a friend who’s a big Giants fan- and everything you just said is exactly what he told me...

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Yes, let's trade for an often injured running back making 15M+ to play slot receiver.  That'll put us over the top

I love the off-season

He won't be making 15 million in 2022. Bills would take on about 8.5 million salary but Carolina is on the hook for the prorated signing bonus

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

His cap hit is $14 million next year, then in 2023 he can opt out, according to Spotrac.

1 minute ago, Georgie said:

He won't be making 15 million in 2022. Bills would take on about 8.5 million salary but Carolina is on the hook for the prorated signing bonus

ok, i didn't know that is how the signing bonus works.

53 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Lot of money for a slot receiver.  How much slot has he played in his career?

found the last couple of years at least:

“McCaffrey lined up in the slot 16 of 429 snaps in 2019 under then-coach Ron Rivera, according to ESPN Stats & Information. In his first season under Rhule and Brady in 2020, McCaffrey lined up there twice on 78 snaps.

He lined up in the slot only once in 141 snaps this season. He lined up in the backfield 135 times in 2021, as opposed to wide receiver three times, Wildcat quarterback twice and slot once.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Sports/carolina-panthers-intention-trading-christian-mccaffrey-gm-scott/story%3Fid%3D82185937

edit: 56 snaps from slot in ‘18, over 100 in ‘17. So he’s done it early in his career at a pretty decent volume.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Fans act like an All-Pro player is the worst garbage in the world after a down year or injury. They get off on it. 

I'd be mad, but people like this are the reason you can make money on the stock market betting against public opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

He'd be less than a $7M cap hit this upcoming season. And it's funny because I know you're attempting to be sarcastic with the rest of what you're saying... but you aren't pulling it off very well.

Yes McCaffery is an often injured running back... because he's not built to be an every down RB.

Making him a hybrid RB/slot WR makes a ton of sense and saves him from a lot of big hits.

I hope you can at least acknowledge that when he's on the field and healthy he's one of the best weapons in the NFL. Beasley's contract would make it almost an even exchange. 

Would you trade McCaffery for Beasley straight up? That's kinda a rhetorical question because you'd be a moron if you wouldn't... so how much extra draft capital becomes acceptable?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.