What year you became a Bills fan and Two Bills Drive camaraderie

BillsFan619

1. You've been a fan since

2. Your first Bills memory

Robb Riddick 1-yard TD dives. 

3. One of your favorite Bills memories

Flutie naked bootleg for the GW TD against Jax. Was at the game, and the magic was amazing. 

(Not a favorite, but an indelible one): Coming on this board, which crashed, Right after the MCM. 

4. Your favorite player of all time and your favorite player currently...

All-time: Bruce Smith (with an honorable mention to Terrance McGee)

Current: Josh Allen

5. Some of you guys have some awesome forum names. What does your forum name say about you?

I joined here as a lurker “guest” in 1998, and had some boring names for many years. Feel like I hit my stride with Miyagi— favorite movie is Karate Kid, and Mr. Miyagi brings a zen-like calm to this board! 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1. You've been a fan since
I was born into this mess. I don't remember a before time. I'll say 1990 because I was 4 and that's where my memory begins. 

I vaguely remember talking to my sister's friend about Buffalo and Washington prior to Super Bowl 26. Some better formed first memories involve some pretty epic meltdowns during Super Bowl 27 and 28. 

3. One of your favorite Bills memories
My older sister showed horses when I was growing up. And in the early 90s when I was little, I'd get brought along to the horse shows. One of the horse shows took place at the New York State Fair and we'd stay on the fairgrounds in a camper for four or five days (which is awesome when you're a kid). The show runs for 5 days, I think, and all these different farms and stables come with their horses and riders and carts and wagons, etc. And all these horses get stabled in this giant horse barn—rows and rows of horses—and every farm and horse stable gets their own little area. It turns into a horse city and our area was right on main street. Anyway, the State Fair always overlapped with the first weekend of the season. There was another stable on the same aisle as ours that had a little 13" tube TV. Every year I'd go down to their area and watch the first Bills game of the season—just me and the old man who managed their stable. I don't remember his name but he was a Chiefs fan. The Bills always won those game and I'd be running around horse city throwing a football to myself and replaying the game for the rest of the day. 

A close second is listening to The Comeback live on the radio while we were on our way home from my Grandparents'. 

4. Your favorite player of all time and your favorite player currently...

Thurman Thomas was my all-time favorite. Current favorite is Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1. You've been a fan since:

A:1973

A: Listening to the Rich Stadium grand opening and Herb Mul-Key returning the opening kickoff back for a TD.

3. One of your favorite Bills memories:

A: The whole 1980 season. It was just such a fun year being a Bills fan.To date, that year ranks as my favorite season.

4. Your favorite player of all time and your favorite player currently...

A: All-time: Fred Smerlas Current: Josh Allen

5. Some of you guys have some awesome forum names. What does your forum name say about you?

A: My original was BeastOfTheEast at BBMB and here. I lost my password for here a long time ago so created another account after BBMB shut down and cut it down to Beast as BeastOfTheEast was not available.

BeastOfTheEast is a highly competitive wrestling tournament so I grabbed that as my user name 20 years ago.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1. You've been a fan since - Jan. 1991

2. Your first Bills memory - Super Bowl vs. NYG.

3. One of your favorite Bills memories - The day TuhROD was traded for a 3rd round pick.

4. Your favorite player of all time and your favorite player currently... - Fitz/Josh

5. Some of you guys have some awesome forum names. What does your forum name say about you? - I have the Kavorka

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

fan since 1987

First memory of the Bills isn’t actually of a game but is of promotional mugs Pizza Hut had with different Bills helmets on them from different eras. I thought the mugs were so cool because they had a bottle opener on their bottom. 

Bill Belichick not being able to do anything about us running the clock out before the field goal at the end of the game to break the streak in 2013.  Followed by him throwing the phone in 2020… and also him storming off the field after the playoff game this year. 

All time favorite and current favorite are the same. Josh Allen.  I’m 100% convinced he’ll deliver us our first Super Bowl.  If all time favorite has to be non-current then it’s Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Name is just a mashup of my names and high school number. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1. Fan since 1960. Remember excitedly talking with my Lockport buds about the new team. “Are we gonna draft Richie Lucas out of Penn State?”

2. First actual on-field memory was Cookie Gilchrist running over people. 
3. Favorite memory was the 51-3 AFC championship game blowout against the Raiders. Leaped into the pool afterwards screaming “Go Bills!” (It was January, it was COLD!)

4. Favorite player used to be the running back, number 32. Now, all-time favorite and current favorite are the same:  Josh Allen!

5. Screen name is my name and where I live, in the beautiful California Foothills near Placerville. 

Thanks, OP, for taking me back in time. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1. You've been a fan since - 1989. Born & raised in Chicago-area, loved the mid 80s Bears as a kid, but decided Bills were my team in 89' & never paid attention to the Bears again.

2. Your first Bills memory - Beebe getting somersaulted onto his head vs Browns in 89' playoffs.

3. One of your favorite Bills memories - When we signed Bryce Paup. I've never been so excited over a FA/trade acquisition since. Maybe because I was still a teen, but it was like Christmas morning for me.

4. Your favorite player of all time and your favorite player currently - Bruce/Josh

5. Some of you guys have some awesome forum names. What does your forum name say about you? - Lucky number

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1. mid 1970s - was too young to remember before then

2. a) first general memory:  watching the Bills with my grandfather when was a little kid - can't peg the year, but it was in the 1970s

b) first specific memory:  playing touch football in the streets with my brothers and friends while listening to the Van Miller broadcasts on Sunday afternoons. I distincly remember November 22, 1981 when the Bills beat New England on a hail mary to Roland Hooks.  https://www.buffalobills.com/video/this-date-in-history-hooks-hail-mary-beats-pats-16341209 .  We stopped playing to listen to the call and were jumping up and down screaming with joy when the play happened.

3.  The Roland Hooks catch was #3.  Being at the Greatest Comeback playoff game was #2.  #1, the most exciting, was being at the game against the Broncos on September 30, 1990 when the Bills scored 3 TDs in 77 seconds to come back and beat the Broncos.  That was the loudest and craziest I have ever seen the stadium at a Bills game.  https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/9/30/1703600/september-30-1990-bills-score-20-points-in-77-seconds

4. While it's hard not to go with John McCargo, and it's difficult to pick one guy, I'll go with Darryl Talley (and can I say Fred Jackson too?).  For a current player, I don't know if I could pick anyone other than Josh Allen.

5. My forum name says a lot about my initials and one of my favorite albums of all time.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

1. You've been a fan since - Jan. 1991

2. Your first Bills memory - Super Bowl vs. NYG.

3. One of your favorite Bills memories - The day TuhROD was traded for a 3rd round pick.

4. Your favorite player of all time and your favorite player currently... - Fitz/Josh

5. Some of you guys have some awesome forum names. What does your forum name say about you? - I have the Kavorka

We have a Seinfeld fan. Or, maybe just a Kramer fan.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Bob in NoCal said:

1. Fan since 1960. Remember excitedly talking with my Lockport buds about the new team. “Are we gonna draft Richie Lucas out of Penn State?”

2. First actual on-field memory was Cookie Gilchrist running over people. 
3. Favorite memory was the 51-3 AFC championship game blowout against the Raiders. Leaped into the pool afterwards screaming “Go Bills!” (It was January, it was COLD!)

4. Favorite player used to be the running back, number 32. Now, all-time favorite and current favorite are the same:  Josh Allen!

5. Screen name is my name and where I live, in the beautiful California Foothills near Placerville. 

Thanks, OP, for taking me back in time. 

You're welcome, bro. It's neat to see yours and everyone's story. That's why I wanted to do it. I figured the best time to do it was the off season.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

~1965.  Watching games as a small child with my grandfather.

Winning 1965 AFL Championship

"The Comeback"

Darryl Talley, Micah Hyde

I think it is self-explanatory expressing the nature of being a Bills fan through the late '60s early '70s, mid-'80s, and then through the drought.

But, as many here know, I used to be "Hopeful".  Changed Sept 11 2016 (Season opener Rex Ryan 2nd season)

Thanks for sharing, Hap. I didn't know your forum name use to be, Hopeful.

Hopefully JA can change that name back for you by winning a Super Bowl.

1. I was born a Bills fan in 1973

2. My earliest memory of a specific game was listening to the Bills lose to the Pats on the radio in my mom's car driving back to Buffalo from my grandma's house in Rochester on 1/2/83. Another early memory is being in Rich on 9/29/85, with the sparse crowd singing "Goodbye Kay" at Kay Stephenson as the Bills lost to the Vikings. 

3. My favorite memory is sitting in my mom's living room watching the Bills destroy the Raiders 51-3. It just seemed unreal to me that the Bills, who had back to back 2-14 seasons in recent memory, would be playing in the Super Bowl. Then watching the NFCCG to see who we would play. I rooted hard for the Giants because I didn't want to see Montana. Little did I know what heartbreak laid just one week in the future. That, BTW, is my worst Bills memory.

4. Talley/Josh. By this time next year, it will probably be Josh/Josh.

5. I was just surprised that it wasn't taken on a Buffalo sports message board.

Funny Sabres story: I was in the Aud during a game when the Sabres were eliminated from the Playoffs. I want to say 4/1/86 against the Hartford Whalers. I could be totally wrong about the year and the game.  But as the game wound down, the crowd started chanting "Oh, Ah, Sabres on the golfcourse."

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I’ve paid attention since about 1985 or so, really got in during the run. Born into it, but actually started caring around the first grade. The first thing I remember is the KC championship during that run. I don’t really have a favorite player? I know that sounds odd, but the team is more important.

My forum name is just the first two letters of my last name followed by my first! It’s not my first though. I lost that one, but I do remember discussing Todd Collins on this board, so there’s that! 

Edited by mcjeff215
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1. Born a fan in  1970

2. First memory was "The juice is loose"

3. My favorite memories:  every time the goal posts came down.

4. Bruce Smith/JA17

5. My forum name is a salute to Lawrence Taylor (That was his college nickname).  Clearly not Bills-related, but he is the best defensive player (IMHO) I have ever seen.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1.  Early 60's  (yeh, I'm 76)

2-3  Early memories...ok!...attended a game at the rockpile...my Dad got the company tickets...I saw Mr Wilson with dark hair. (63 I  think)  I was there the day Jack Kemp was on the bench in favor of Tom Flores but  came in in relief.  His first pass was about 60 yards for a TD to Duby.  He walked off cool as can  be, never raised an arm or jumped up and down.  Other early memory was from Ft Polk La, I was there during the Vietnam buildup in 68, I was watching the Bills on a b/w Tv in the corner of the USO club as all the big city boys got the color TV's for their games.  Dan Daraugh was the QB, the Bills were bad.....but got to draft OJ with the pick the next year.  I was at the big comeback game against the Oilers  with Frank Reich leading the way.  Some folks left, but not me.  I had 4 tickets, took my wife and aunt, and had one I could not give away. (really)  I saw Jim Kelly the day he visited Mr Wilson's box, he was playing for Houston or NJ in the other startup pro league at that time.  I knew then he was coming to Buffalo.  The papers didn't cover his visit as I recall.

4.Fav's   today JA    yesteryear: I guess Cookie Gilchrist who ran through people.  Jim Brown like, but he only played for the Bills for maybe 3 years.  the Bills have no modern day equivalent.  

5 I am bigK because....I am big!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Fan since 1963 (was 9 years old).  

First Bills memory: Going to the Rockpile with my friend and his dad and sitting in what was then the 1st base reserve seats for baseball. Remember just the whole scene: green grass, blue Bills uniform tops and the craziness of extra points going into the 1st base box seats. Total chaos as fans fought for the balls. Fans yelling “yo, ho” in unison before Mack Yoho kicked off.

Favorite memory: being at the 51-3 game and the pure joy of knowing we were going to the Super Bowl. LA couldn’t stop them in the first half and called timeout like a beleaguered basketball team.

Favorite of all time: Thurman (honorable mentions: Fred Jackson, George Saimes, Tom Sestak, Bobby Chandler).

Favorite now: Josh and Tre 

Bubba was my late cat’s name

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I've been a fan since 1986, when Steve Tasker joined the Bills. (Friend of the family ever since my Dad taught him back in college). 

My first Bills memory was unfortunately their playoff loss vs. the Browns that year before they went on all of those Super Bowl runs. 

One of my favorite Bills memories was when I finally got to come see them play at Home for the first time ever at their Home Opener the year the "Drought" stopped. 

My favorite player of all time is Steve Tasker, and my favorite player currently is Josh Allen. 

My forum name is an obvious one for all of Bills fans, so I apologize for taking it! 

On another note, I'm from Kansas, so I Love wearing my Bills Blue among all of the Chiefs Red!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1. Bills fan since 1969 at 10. Marveled at the way OJ ran and decided to follow him to wherever he landed.  So haunting I'd drive by the Brentwood crime scene at 7am some 25 years later.  News hadn't even broken yet.

2. First memory was probably watching OJ run for 200 to get to 2003 against the Jets. I'll also always remember Joe Ferguson gutting it out against the Chargers.

3. My favorite Bills memory would be Josh jumping over Anthony Barr. That play set the stage for his future stardom. 

4. Favorite player all time.....

Thurman 

Favorite player now......

Josh Allen 

5. Born, raised & live in LA my whole life. Enjoyed Sundays at the LA Billbacker bar at Bobby McGees in Burbank with John Mammoser and the gang. Busby's in Santa Monica is now the place to be. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.