What year you became a Bills fan and Two Bills Drive camaraderie

BillsFan619

Hey Bills Mafia!

Besides staying up to date on all things Bills, one of the reasons I like coming to this site is for the Bills camaraderie. I figured the best time to get to know you a little more is to do this in the long abyss of the offseason. I'm sure there will be some that don't like this post and will flame it (ie- "Man, it's going to be a long off season", "🤦‍♂️" or worse) because it's not a Bills news post. That's fine, either move on from it or say why you hate the post and then move on from it. That said, if you'd like to participate, here's some things to answer.

1. You've been a fan since

2. Your first Bills memory

3. One of your favorite Bills memories

4. Your favorite player of all time and your favorite player currently

5. Some of you guys have some awesome forum names. What does your forum name say about you?

My answers:

1. 1988

2. Bills at Bears in 1988. We lost 24-3 in Soldier Field. I should've known then 😜😂

3. Breaking the drought and experiencing it with my kids/Going to the Bills vs Cowboys Thanksgiving game with my kids/Experiencing the 2020 season with my kids (While I have fond memories as a child, yes, the best experiences are with my kids because they're huge Bills fans as well) 

4. Jim Kelly/Josh Allen

5. The first part of my forum name is obvious. Bills fan through and through! 619 stands for the area code I live in, which is San Diego

Okay, Bills Mafia, share (or flame) away.

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My fandom is eight inches, 

if that’s what we are calling it now…

Go Bills!!!

• BillsFan619 changed the title to What year you became a Bills fan and Two Bills Drive camaraderie
15 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

You've been a fan since

Your first Bills memory

One of your favorite Bills memories

Your favorite player of all time and your favorite player currently...

Some of you guys have some awesome forum names. What does your forum name say about you?...

OP, nice topic so will give it a try:

Fan since 1966.  Born week of 1st AFL Bills training camp in 1960!

1st Bills memory listening on radio to Bills losing 1966 AFL championship to KC at home.  Winner went to SB1.

Favorite memory 51-3 vs raiders 1990 playoffs or 2011 beating NE with Brady at the Ralph.

Charles Romes favorite Bill of all time (12th Rd pick and born in France!)  Current player my favorite is Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

OP, nice topic so will give it a try:

Fan since 1966.  Born week of 1st AFL Bills training camp in 1960!

1st Bills memory listening on radio to Bills losing 1966 AFL championship to KC at home.  Winner went to SB1.

Favorite memory 51-3 vs raiders 1990 playoffs or 2011 beating NE with Brady at the Ralph.

Charles Romes favorite Bill of all time (12th Rd pick and born in France!)  Current player my favorite is Josh Allen.

Nice, bro. Thanks for sharing. So cool!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Born a fan of Oj in the 70s. Then I became a Montana and Rice fan. Back to Kelly and Reed, been hooked ever since. Haven't missed a draft or game since 96.

That's awesome. So cool, bro!

While either is awesome, when you say you haven't missed a game since '96, are you talking in stadium or watching?

• Like (+1) 1

Came in on the last 2 of the  4 in a row.

1st memory. Throwing a pass  to Pete Metzalar in Tecmo Bowl and him doing  the animated dive and catch (that's how I picked bufalo btw).

Brrrruuccceee

Josh Allen.  Named my dog that as well. 

Been on this fourm 2yrs before Josh was drafted. 

2 minutes ago, 90sTillNOW said:

1st memory. Throwing a pass  to Pete Metzalar in Tecmo Bowl and him doing  the animated dive and catch (that's how I picked bufalo btw).

Brrrruuccceee

The comeback against Houston 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 90sTillNOW said:

Brrrruuccceee

The comeback against Houston 

That’s awesome. Tecmo Bowl for the win!

45 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

~1965.  Watching games as a small child with my grandfather.

Winning 1965 AFL Championship

"The Comeback"

4. Your favorite player of all time and your favorite player currently...

Darryl Talley, Micah Hyde

5. Some of you guys have some awesome forum names. What does your forum name say about you?

I think it is self-explanatory expressing the nature of being a Bills fan through the late '60s early '70s, mid-'80s, and then through the drought.

But, as many here know, I used to be "Hopeful".  Changed Sept 11 2016 (Season opener Rex Ryan 2nd season)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1. 1980. I was 10.

2. Even though I know of the tearing down of the goal posts for the 1980 home opener, I dont really recall it. My first and most vivid memory of 1980 was Ferguson playing on a bus ankle in the playoff game.  I've watched several YouTube highlights from the 1980 season in the past year and still Ferguson's ankle is what I remember most.

3. Best Bills memory. I have several. I have posted this before but being on the field for the entire Jets game in 88 with my brother holding cameras for Sports Illustrated.  Next is the Raiders coldest game in Bills history playoff game.  There are several more. Those in person include this year's Patriots playoff game, Bills at GB just because I was able go to Lambeau, and Bills Cleveland MNF - met Al D'Amato in the parking lot. As far as other memories there are too many to list that I saw on TV, but Kelly beating Miami diving into the endzone on the final play is my favorite.

4. Favorite player of all time is Thurman Thomas. Jerry Butler, Fred Smerlas, Kyle Williams, Fred Jackson, and Shady are all on the list. Current is Allen. 

5. My forum name speaks to family and may need to change this Fall if I move back east. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I have been a fan of the Buffalo Bills since they were first created in 1960. My earliest memory of seeing the Bills in person was in the Rockpile stadium because my dad got some free tickets.  My second oldest memory is helping my dad put up the rotating attenna to the roof of our house so we could watch the Bills on Canadian tv.  I joined TBD relatively recently after many years of  lurking around TBD following drafts,etc.  I haven’t lived in Buffalo since 1973, and haven’t been back often except for funerals etc., so I haven’t been to anyplace but the Rockpile.

My favorite Bills player of all time is Josh Allen.  Before Josh, I guess it was Kelly and before him OJ.  I didn’t have any favorites during the 1960s (at least I don’t remember them).

My favorite game is the “Comeback “ versus Oilers.

My screen name “Epictetus” is reflection of the stoicism you needed to be a Bills fan.

i remember going to the stadium the Jets play in for a football game, but don’t remember when or what teams. Probably Bills versus Jets, but don’t remember the game itself.

Edited by Epictetus
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1967, I was seven, do not remember the team prior to that (but strangely remember going to Bisons games prior to that).

..so my first memories were from driving in the car on Sundays listening to the Bills lose week after week.

Best memory...being there in 1980, the Day the Dolphins Drowned.

Favorite player...Jim Braxton.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1959.  I followed their first draft. 

RIchie Lucas being drafted.   Black and white striped socks on the Broncos at the first game in 1960.

The '64 championship game.

The '65 championship game.

Ahmad Rashad on Monday night.

Watching the comeback game.

Whatever Josh Allen did last week. 

4. Your favorite player of all time and your favorite player currently...

Oh, man, come on.

George Saimes

Billy Shaw

OJ Simpson

Daryl Talley

Andre Reed

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Josh Allen

I picked it 20 years ago.  I wanted to signify that I went back to the beginning, I wanted to honor the only Hall of Famer who played only in the NFL, and I wanted honor the temperament and work ethic he always showed. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

I started going to games as a little kid in the mid 60’s. We’d fight over who got to see what team so my dad went from 2 season tickets to four. I remember a battle at the dinner table over who got the Raiders game. 

My first memory isn’t even a game event, but walking with the crowd to enter the Rockpile for the first time. This little kid had NEVER seen anything like that! 

As for favorite memories, again it’s not game related. In the 3rd grade I was friends with Jack Kemp’s son. We would walk home from school to his house, and it felt surreal. I saw a color TV there for the first time in my life. Lots of cool memories because it was just “life” to him, but bigger than life to me!

I’m not a jersey guy, or “player obsessed”. You never know who’s a jerk in real life. But I will say my sister used to babysit Butch Byrd’s kids and I played with his son. He seemed like a fine man to my young eyes. After that, probably Kyle Williams.

My forum name says I was thinking of my sister when I joined. She had just had unexpected quadruple bypass surgery. Tall, thin, walked miles a day with the dog, never smoked. I didn’t see that coming! My middle name is Augustine (thanks mom and dad!). She would torment me relentlessly calling me Augie Doggy. She was on my mind. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 8

Nice topic OP!  Here's my 3 cents:

1. You've been a fan since:  1981 is when I remember watching Joe Ferguson hand it off to Joe Cribbs, and throw passes to Jerry Butler.  The only defensive player I was aware of at the time was big Freddy Smerlas. 

2. Your first Bills memory: Besides the above mentioned, the first TRUE memory of rooting for my Bills was in 1990, when we played the Cleveland Browns in the playoffs.  Ronnie Harmon dropped a sure TD pass in the end zone, then one or two plays later Kelly was picked off in the end zone, I think by Clay Matthews....that was my 1st memory of true anguish as a Bills fan.

3. One of your favorite Bills memories:  Beating the living hell out of the Raiders 51-3.  On the Bills 1st touchdown drive, Kelly dropped the snap, had time to pick up the football, dust it off, re-polish it to a high shine, and still throw the TD pass.  I think I knew then the rout was on...

4. Your favorite player of all time and your favorite player currently: Jim Kelly/Josh Allen

5. Some of you guys have some awesome forum names. What does your forum name say about you?

Actually, Smuvtalker was a nickname I picked up in college and it just stuck with me through adulthood.  Ask my daughter tho and you'd think my name was Cheese-a-saurus.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.