Stefon Diggs extension thoughts

Estro

8 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Not really.  Beane is banking on the cap skyrocketing due to new TV deals.  Whaley didnt have that.  Whaley also didn't have Pegula bucks.

The Pegulas owned the Bills since 2014 and Whaley was there until 2017.  

The salary cap raised $34 million dollars in total the time Whaley was here in 3 years

The Bills were active with spending with Whaley.

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Definitely true. The cap getting a huge increase will help dramatically. Hopefully Diggs will be wanting to stay in Buffalo & not pull a Tyreek, leaving behind a great QB & contending for SBs in favor of just money. 

Obviously making more money is important, but being a key member of a good organization that contends for SBs seems more enjoyable than wasting away on the Jets or Texans or something.

$25 million/yr on the Jags vs $19 million/yr on the Chiefs/Bills/Bucs/Rams/Bengals.... seems like a no-brainer to me. 

Whaley had 3 seasons with the Pegulas.  We were very active in free agency with Whaley.  I think we had the top free agency spending in 2015 I believe or near the top.

The salary cap rose $33 million from 2014-2017....

If I hadn't JUST heard Beane say "we want to see Diggs in Buffalo for years to come",  and if I hadn't JUST heard that they really like to give Josh Allen input and ownership of the offense and make him happy, and it's well known that he Diggs are very close, I might -- MIGHT -- believe this.

I do not believe this.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Beane needs to hit on 3 starters in the next 2 drafts and we have no issue keeping him. If not we need to think about trading him. 

is one of those 3 at QB?

in terms of cap framework

you have a high salaried QB, a high salary WR, a high salaried blind side tackle. On Defense the 3 high pairs are a CB, LB, and DL.

About 4-5 other players on each side of the ball you have mid salary vets.

the rest are draft picks/ not yet to free agency players, or players on prove it contracts.

Diggs is likely gone after 2022 season.  Their first target is the Alabama WR

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

If I hadn't JUST heard Beane say "we want to see Diggs in Buffalo for years to come",  and if I hadn't JUST heard that they really like to give Josh Allen input and ownership of the offense and make him happy, and it's well known that he Diggs are very close, I might -- MIGHT -- believe this.

I do not believe this.

He said something similar about Beasley a couple months ago. 🤷‍♂️

What he just said is pure GM speak. Of course he would want to see Diggs in Buffalo for years to come. What he didnt say is "at all costs, no matter what he asks for, even to the detriment of building the rest of the team".

I do think a new deal will get done next year. But trading him isnt completely impossible or unexpected. It is definitely one of the likely potential outcomes.

And as much as we ALL love Diggs, this team revolves around Josh. And will revolve around Josh for at least the next 6-8 years, which is a lot longer than Diggs will be playing in the NFL. So like it or not, there will be a day in the near future where the Josh Allen-lead Bills do not have Diggs.

We have our Franchise QB. Rotate/build talent around him in ways that are best for the team. No single WR breaks that approach.

17 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Definitely true. The cap getting a huge increase will help dramatically. Hopefully Diggs will be wanting to stay in Buffalo & not pull a Tyreek, leaving behind a great QB & contending for SBs in favor of just money. 

Obviously making more money is important, but being a key member of a good organization that contends for SBs seems more enjoyable than wasting away on the Jets or Texans or something.

$25 million/yr on the Jags vs $19 million/yr on the Chiefs/Bills/Bucs/Rams/Bengals.... seems like a no-brainer to me. 

I know a young pitcher in the MLB who won a WS early in his career.  After winning the ring, he stated the only thing left for him was to chase the money.  If Diggs gets a ring in 2022, he will follow the cash and I don't blame him.  I agree with Tyreeks move as what else does he need to accomplish? 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I do not believe this.

This is where I am.  

Logically, it makes sense to trade him.  We could get back a deal, likely close, to what Tyreek Hill brought back KC.. and I don't think Diggs - as good as he is - is the difference maker Hill is.  

With Josh Allen, at the level he is at now, as long as we keep stocking the cupboard with talented WR's like Gabriel Davis, Jamison Crowder, one day maybe he gets the miracle of a high draft pick WR, etc..  as long as we keep doing that, he's going to elevate these dudes to an elite level.  

Diggs obviously helps, but if I didn't hear how Beane talks about him, and how Josh loves the guy, I'd be inclined to think we might move him due to cap allocation concerns. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I might be in the minority here. I think a Diggs trade is a real possibility. Don't get me wrong I love Diggs and what he brings to the team. Last year, I thought he wasn't as dominate as the previous year. Many games he was a non factor probably due to double teams. He still is an elite number 1 receiver. However, a trade should be considered depending on what the Bills draft and how Davis and others develop. I believe Allen is good enough to win without Diggs. That money can be utilized to bolster the Oline, replace him, and running game. If the price is right I think Beane pulls the trigger. No one thought Adams or Hill would be traded so why not Diggs? Qbs make receivers. Wrs don't make QBs. 

Tend to agree.  I think he's safe this year unless behind the scenes he's already talking about wanting his deal redone now and is looking for Hill/Adams $$.  Then could see a trade in next couple of weeks.  If he's OK for now, likely play this year on current deal, but again if he's looking for top $4 he could be gone by around now next year.  Also will be telling where they draft WR this year to see what they think.  If they were to draft the kid from Bama, think the hand writing is one the wall.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.