Stefon Diggs extension thoughts

Estro

2 hours ago, transient said:

He went on to explain how he thought the best course of action would be to take the picks aquired in this trade, trade up to #4 and take the 3rd or 4th best WR in a WR loaded draft.

I’m going to assume this is in reference to Sammy. I don’t remember Whaley creating a hole by trading a high profile WR only to draft another. He was doubling down on the EJ Manuel pick to get him weapons. It was a stupid trade, no doubt, you don’t give up that many assets to move up for a WR. Word at the time was that he also liked Odell Beckham, but if they had stayed put likely would’ve drafted TE Eric Ebron.

Edited by JayBaller10

Not sure if this is the right thread and not sure if mentioned somewhere else already. If either, my apologies.

That said, and trying not to read too much into it, but did anybody else find it strange that during Emmanuel Sanders interview on GMFB he talks about all of Josh’s great receiving targets, listed by name, as well as all the great receivers he (Emmanuel) has played with (again listed by name) and not a single mention of Diggs? Anything he knows that we don’t?

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/why-emmanuel-sanders-has-high-hopes-for-gabriel-davis-and-josh-allen-in-2022

Nevermind. He says Diggs in the actual interview. He’s just getting talked over and it mustn’t have made the transcript. Nothing to see here. 

Edited by Bongo

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont see the upside in trading the guy right now.  His last two years have been the best of his career, he is incredibly close with your franchise QB, and he probably has 3-4 really good years left in the tank.    Sure you cut salary, but who replaces him?  Gabe Davis?  An unproven rookie?  Any veteran you bring in thats worth his weight will cost you what Diggs costs anyways.   Unless Diggs doesnt want to be here, which doesnt seem likely, why is this even a question right now?  They'll have the money to pay him next year, to me its a non-issue, and a product of the boring offseason.

I'd love to know this stat - have there been any top wr's in this league over the age 30?

Diggs is going to be 30 before the end of next season.  He's right now, maybe a top5, but definitely a top 10 WR - but he also has great chemistry with Allen.  

I'm just not sure about paying top dollar to an aging WR.

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’m going to assume this is in reference to Sammy. I don’t remember Whaley creating a hole by trading a high profile WR only to draft another. He was doubling down on the EJ Manuel pick to get him weapons. It was a stupid trade, no doubt, you don’t give up that many assets to move up for a WR. Word at the time was that he also liked Odell Beckham, but if they had stayed put likely would’ve drafted TE Eric Ebron.

You forget we traded SJ13 for what turned into RB Bryce Brown and traded for bust WR Mike Williams? 

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

You forget we traded SJ13 for what turned into RB Bryce Brown and traded for bust WR Mike Williams? 

Stevie was good, but I don’t think he was ever considered one of the top 5 or 10 WRs in the NFL. And the Bills traded up for Watkins when Stevie was still on the squad. Mike Williams? Don’t even remember him taking a snap for the Bills. Point is, Whaley never traded a WR the caliber of Diggs, only to use those picks to select another WR at the top of the draft. Don’t think he did this with any position actually, but someone correct me if I’m wrong…

27 minutes ago, KennyL said:

I'd love to know this stat - have there been any top wr's in this league over the age 30?

Diggs is going to be 30 before the end of next season.  He's right now, maybe a top5, but definitely a top 10 WR - but he also has great chemistry with Allen.  

WR’s have a tendency to hit the wall after 30….hard.  The only way Buffalo moves on from Diggs is if they don’t want to give him a giant deal.  Still, I think they wait until after the season like KC did with Tyreek

1 hour ago, KennyL said:

In the last five years there have been four guys to be in the top 15 in receptions when 30 years and older,  Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas, Larry Fitzgerald, and Antonio Brown. 

Not sure if that speaks to the narrowness of the category, 15 is a small sample size for 32 teams who start at least two wideouts per team, or the lack of wideouts starting after 29 years old.    That said, Diggs has had his two best years in the NFL at 27 and 28 years old.  

1 hour ago, KennyL said:

I think a lot of fans are going to be disappointed with how the Diggs situation plays out especially if he 'turns heel' so to speak and holds out or becomes a lockerroom distraction.

But you make a valid point about that dreaded 30 mark and even though there are many WR's that can be dominant well into their mid 30's if the same logic applies to Beasely (who some fans couldn't wait to see leave) it's going to apply here as well and why you can't give him a big money extension.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.