Stefon Diggs extension thoughts

Estro

36 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Bump

https://sports.yahoo.com/brandon-beane-don-t-see-163135511.html

Brandon Beane: I don’t see Stefon Diggs’ contract being an issue

Bills General Manager Brandon Beane doesn’t believe there’s any concern that Diggs is unhappy.

“We’ve got Stefon for two years so we know that. At the right time we’ll work with his reps and see if there’s something to be done that works for him,” Beane said. “He’s a winner.

He’s all in on winning and, sure, everybody wants to be paid but he wants to be on a winning team. I think he’s been the best version of himself. So I don’t see that being an issue.”

Florio is so slimy.  Those Beane quotes are from a week ago - before the Hill trade and new deal.  They play a little differently if people think they were on the heels of that.  He’s just trying to stir the pot. 

Bills are in the window with an elite QB where you can live in the day 2 of the draft and grab difference makers that all get elevated because of our godlike QB.  I love having a top elite WR but paying one isn't the smartest thing to do given the talent we have at QB.

Also I recognize diggs is a great WR, but he's the Tre White of WRs.  All technique, nothing about him physically that causes unsolvable problems for an opposing defense.  He can be schemed out.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Bills are in the window with an elite QB where you can live in the day 2 of the draft and grab difference makers that all get elevated because of our godlike QB.  I love having a top elite WR but paying one isn't the smartest thing to do given the talent we have at QB.

Also I recognize diggs is a great WR, but he's the Tre White of WRs.  All technique, nothing about him physically that causes unsolvable problems for an opposing defense.  He can be schemed out.  

Reggie Wayne says hi

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

“Contracts get done when they’re supposed to get done.”

It’s the 2nd time Beane has said something like this when asked about Diggs. 

It sounds a lot like “when not if” when it comes to Diggs. 

Exactly the way he sounded about Allen and we all know how terrible that turned out. <_<

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Exactly the way he sounded about Allen and we all know how terrible that turned out. <_<

They probably wanted to do it next year.  Bates signs and an offer sheet, still need a cb.  Best way to create cap space is extending Diggs.  I think it happens.  Allen wants him here.  If you are Beane it solves alot of issues.  

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

“Contracts get done when they’re supposed to get done.”

It’s the 2nd time Beane has said something like this when asked about Diggs. 

It sounds a lot like “when not if” when it comes to Diggs. 

I don't understand why people conceptualize Diggs as stamping his feet and insisting that the Bills give him a new contract RIGHT NOW. 

Beane has said multiple times that he likes to work on extensions after FA and the draft.

This timeline works to Diggs benefit, as he and his agents get to watch all the trades and FA signings re-set the market.

Players get paid by the week during the season so it's not like he's collecting low-ball salary checks at the moment.

22 hours ago, Warcodered said:

JA's impact on this team's fortunes is orders of magnitude larger than Diggs's.  Your franchise QB's second contract gets done.  Your WR1 comes and goes--ask the Vikings.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

JA's impact on this team's fortunes is orders of magnitude larger than Diggs's.  Your franchise QB's second contract gets done.  Your WR1 comes and goes--ask the Vikings.

Of course. But you don't need it to be one or the other. You can have both.

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You think Gabe gets all those 1v1 looks against a safety if Diggs isn't out there?

Diggs was a boost to this offense. 2800 yards in 2-seasons. 

However, there were games last year where I thought the Bills needed to add another #1 level WR to the team. 

I don't know that Diggs is worth $28M a year like Adams or Hill.  

In the end, I don't want to be Green Bay right now, so I agree, pay him. But Diggs and Davis and McKenzie are not good enough to lead the league in scoring in my opinion. Another top level WR talent needs to be added (trade or draft) to overcome the loss of Daboll, and McDermott's input on offense.

I think the Bills will go WR early in the Draft, and I agree with that approach. 

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Of course. But you don't need it to be one or the other. You can have both.

true but the other poster wasn't making that distinction, but drawing an equivalence in the importance (and risk?) of their new contracts and the expedience in which they get done.  There really isn't a significant equivalence.    

3 of the top 5 WR last season have only played 2, 1 and 3 seasons, respectively.  They can wait on Diggs...

43 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Diggs was a boost to this offense. 2800 yards in 2-seasons. 

However, there were games last year where I thought the Bills needed to add another #1 level WR to the team. 

I don't know that Diggs is worth $28M a year like Adams or Hill.  

In the end, I don't want to be Green Bay right now, so I agree, pay him. But Diggs and Davis and McKenzie are not good enough to lead the league in scoring in my opinion. Another top level WR talent needs to be added (trade or draft) to overcome the loss of Daboll, and McDermott's input on offense.

I think the Bills will go WR early in the Draft, and I agree with that approach. 

I disagree on your assessment of Diggs. I do agree we need to keep adding WR talent though.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

true but the other poster wasn't making that distinction, but drawing an equivalence in the importance (and risk?) of their new contracts and the expedience in which they get done.  There really isn't a significant equivalence.    

3 of the top 5 WR last season have only played 2, 1 and 3 seasons, respectively.  They can wait on Diggs...

Don't really remember saying any of that.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Don't really remember saying any of that.

"it turned out" the way we all knew it was going to because JA is the franchise and that contract absolutely was a priority.  Beane's comments re: Digg's contract status don't have the same weight or inevitability because it's not the same or similar priority.

On 3/27/2022 at 9:39 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Reggie Wayne says hi

thanks for assisting my point?  Reggie Wayne was a good receiver like Diggs is.  Diggs is actually better individually than Wayne.  Look at Wayne's stats decline post being teamed up with Harrison and in his 30s.  He's not and never has been an elite WR that couldn't be schemed out of games.  With a top QB like Allen, I don't see the desire to spend 20m+ on a WR into his 30s.  We should be living in the day 2 of the draft looking for WR talent to allow Allen to elevate

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.