Stefon Diggs extension thoughts

Estro

Just now, Back2Buff said:

3.)  You should be spending the money on players where the QB can't help overcome a lesser talent.  For instance, you should be able to get away with lesser WRs, because you have a franchise QB.  If your paying top dollar for QB and WR, other area will severely be hampered. 

I disagree strategically. You still play to your strengths. You keep giving your Quarterback weapons. 

31 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Welcome to Seattle (no oline or defense).

The reason they have no oline or defense is that they have drafted terribly (and made atrocious trades). Simple as that. The last first rounder who made a second contract on that team was Earl Thomas (2010 draft). If you miss that many times with your prime assets you end up with a talent deficient team. Their drafting in the last half decade is just about the worst in the NFL. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

1.)  What has Diggs said or done since being in Buffalo where you make it sound like he is all about money.  Quite frankly, his latest interview he did for some podcast made it sound the exact opposite.  He more focused on winning.  Diggs has been plenty rewarded.  He got paid handsomely to do his job.  Buffalo needs to get over the little dog mentality where they need to bend over backwards for every player that produces to his contract, like they did with Shady to come here.  If Diggs doesn't want to play for 13.65 million in his last year of deal after being in NFL for 8 years and about to turn 30, then good luck sitting out a year and coming back to find top dollar.

2.)  95% of players decline in their 30s, it's becoming a norm for players to not even play into their 30s.  He is already experiencing nagging issues that is preventing him from practicing.  He had his worst catch % of his career this year.  We seen a lot more drops than normal, and he was pretty much invisible in the playoffs.  

3.)  You should be spending the money on players where the QB can't help overcome a lesser talent.  For instance, you should be able to get away with lesser WRs, because you have a franchise QB.  If your paying top dollar for QB and WR, other area will severely be hampered. 

1) There’s nothing wrong with a player wanting to be fairly compensated for his value.  The numbers might be large, but his MV is well above what he’s making now.  Paying a player close to his value is not “bending over backwards” for them.  In this instance it would just be smart business. 

2) Again, the age to which players can maintain their level of performance continues to increase.

3) LOL!  That isn’t even worth responding to.  But please enlighten us.  Where should the Bills ise their cap space when they go with lesser, cheap WRs?

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

1.)  What has Diggs said or done since being in Buffalo where you make it sound like he is all about money.  Quite frankly, his latest interview he did for some podcast made it sound the exact opposite.  He more focused on winning.  Diggs has been plenty rewarded.  He got paid handsomely to do his job.  Buffalo needs to get over the little dog mentality where they need to bend over backwards for every player that produces to his contract, like they did with Shady to come here.  If Diggs doesn't want to play for 13.65 million in his last year of deal after being in NFL for 8 years and about to turn 30, then good luck sitting out a year and coming back to find top dollar.

2.)  95% of players decline in their 30s, it's becoming a norm for players to not even play into their 30s.  He is already experiencing nagging issues that is preventing him from practicing.  He had his worst catch % of his career this year.  We seen a lot more drops than normal, and he was pretty much invisible in the playoffs.  

About to turn 30?  He just turned 28 a few months ago and now you're fast forwarding his aging to try to strengthen your argument?  

Ahhh...so you like the 2019 Patriots model giving Brady zero help with WR's and seeing if they can win with just him.  how did that turn out?

What did Brady do the next year when he had Evans, Godwin, Brown and Gronk?  

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I seriously applaud your use of paragraphs! Thank you!   😋

Beyond that? Yes, he needs to be extended and paid for the WR he truly is. But I’ll trust Beane to do that wisely, which often means to do it before you have to, and before the price goes up. (See Allen, Josh.) 

Yes, extending him before it's needed is one way to keep his salary low so that you can extend him again before it's needed. -)

11 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I don't understand the whole narrative that he is underpaid.  People overvalue Diggs because they don't follow the NFL enough.

Diggs is in a mix of WR in the 5-10 range, depending on the game.  He is paid right in that range.

The Bills have already gave him more cash this past year.  Let him play out his deal and replace him.

What would we without you, sensei? 

19 hours ago, Estro said:

I was actually surprised to see how old these guys were before they hit their wall. I would've guessed their stats dived around 32 years old, so seeing productive seasons until 34-35 makes an extension much more palatable.

The Bills once had a receiver over 30 years old that only caught 42 balls one year (but for 10 TDs and 1100+ yards, 27+YPC, wow!!) They called him "Golden Wheels".

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Folks, nobody can be that stupid. This is utter proof he's completely trolling. You can't change the past. But you can (and anyone with a tenth of a brain absolutely will) count the entire amount paid over the course divided by the number of years as the key figure, assuming of course that he plays the whole contract, as Diggs will.

By your logic, a guy worth $1M a year would be perfectly happy if he'd gotten $50K in 2018, $50K in 2019, $50K in 2020, but $2M this year. That would thrill him by your logic. He wouldn't say, "Um, hey, I've got a four year contract worth $2.2M, I'm underpaid." No, he'd say, "Wow, I'm making twice my value this year. Psyched.l"

Nobody is that stupid. You can see that he's not just misguided.

Don't feed the trolls. 

You may disagree with the poster, but he's making plausible arguments and attempting to use logic to support them.  He's certainly not trolling and calling him a troll because you disagree is out of line. 

Frankly, I would be inclined to let Diggs play another year under his current deal before I extended him.  I don't necessarily agree that he's underpaid and I don't like the idea of giving a huge extension to a WR who's going to be 30 at the end of his current deal.      

13 hours ago, mannc said:

You may disagree with the poster, but he's making plausible arguments and attempting to use logic to support them.  He's certainly not trolling and calling him a troll because you disagree is out of line. 

Frankly, I would be inclined to let Diggs play another year under his current deal before I extended him.  I don't necessarily agree that he's underpaid and I don't like the idea of giving a huge extension to a WR who's going to be 30 at the end of his current deal.      

I agree - while I disagree with @Back2Buff I don't think he is trolling. I think he is wrong but I don't doubt his sincerity. The point I struggle with that you repeat above is feeling he is not underpaid. I think the fact he is underpaid is beyond question personally. 

13 hours ago, mannc said:

I agree with the person didn't need to be name called, he was presenting a different view.  And like GunnerBill, I disagree with his view, I think Diggs is slightly underpaid.  Although this is almost always the case when you are an older contract.

I disagree with you on letting Diggs contract go.  It is a good strategy by the FO to find talent and lock it up a year or two early.  Josh/Diggs/Dion/Tre and soon to be Knox and then Davis, then Bass and then Brown.  These mostly draftees (aside from Diggs) should be shown early contracts to entice them to sign and stay.  They are the core.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree - while I disagree with @Back2Buff I don't think he is trolling. I think he is wrong but I don't doubt his sincerity. The point I struggle with that you repeat above is feeling he is not underpaid. I think the fact he is underpaid is beyond question personally. 

Everyone in the NFL who’s performed well and whose contract was signed more than a season ago is “underpaid” in that they could get more on the open market today than their contract is worth.  By that definition, Josh Allen is underpaid. Hell, anyone who’s played well on their rookie contract is underpaid.  I just don’t think it’s a particularly meaningful concept. 

Edited by mannc
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

So I had a little play with Estro's proposed numbers to try and come up with a contract structure for Diggs. So Estro posited a 3 year extension at about $67.5m, that takes the total value of Diggs's deal to 5 years, $95m. That would put him 6th in AAV among receivers. So I've sweetened the pot to the tune of another $1.25m over the length of the deal meaning a 3 year $68.75m extension and a total value of $96.25m. That would take Diggs into the top 5 in AAV and I suspect that would be a feather in the agent's cap. 

Of that new $68.75m, I would guarantee $41m of it at signing. That is in addition to the $8.6m restructure bonus he has already been paid as part of his existing deal but which the Bills still need to account for (so the total value of the table below is actually $104.85m).

I break it down like this:

Amortised signing bonus of $25m

Guaranteed Salary Non-Guaranteed Salary Amortised Bonus Roster Bonus Cash Cap Hit Dead Cap
2022 $3m - $9.3m - $28m $12.3m $47.6m
2023 $11m - $9.3m - $11m $20.3m

$37.3m

2024 $2m $12.5m $5m $2.75m $17.25m $22.25m $17m
2025 - $15.75m $5m $2.75m $18.5m $23.5m $10m
2026 - $18.75m $5m

$2.75m

$21.5m $26.5m $5m

Reasons why this contract works for the Bills:

1. It would reduce Diggs's cap hit in 2022 when the Bills are tight on space and provide them with an additional $6m of cap room;

2. It only increases his 2023 hit by about $2m and while the Bills on the face of it look like they have a chunk of space in 2023 (circa $55m) they also only have 27 players under contract and four of those are guys who have never progressed beyond the practice squad;

3. It only actually ties them to Diggs one more year: his age 30 season in 2024 (he will turn 31 towards the end of that season). If the Bills want to get out after that a $10m cap hit that can be spread over two years would not hamstring them. The more likely scenario is it in reality extends him for two years and he moves on aged 32 after 2025 for a minimal cap hit. 

4. It keeps Josh Allen his favourite target as he starts to go in to his big number cap years. 

Reasons why this contract works for Stefon Diggs:

1. It puts him in the top 5 of wide receivers by AAV. That is justified by his performance.

2. It takes him from only $8.6m guaranteed money to $49.6m in guaranteed money.

3. It pays him $12m more in the next two years in new money than his current deal. 

4. It keeps him in a spot where he is happy, in a pass heavy offense with an elite Quarterback and a chance to win a championship. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I had a little play with Estro's proposed numbers to try and come up with a contract structure for Diggs. So Estro posited a 3 year extension at about $67.5m, that takes the total value of Diggs's deal to 5 years, $95m. That would put him 6th in AAV among receivers. So I've sweetened the pot to the tune of another $1.25m over the length of the deal meaning a 3 year $68.75m extension and a total value of $96.25m. That would take Diggs into the top 5 in AAV and I suspect that would be a feather in the agent's cap. 

Of that new $68.75m, I would guarantee $41m of it at signing. That is in addition to the $8.6m restructure bonus he has already been paid as part of his existing deal but which the Bills still need to account for (so the total value of the table below is actually $104.85m).

I break it down like this:

Amortised signing bonus of $25m

Guaranteed Salary Non-Guaranteed Salary Amortised Bonus Roster Bonus Cash Cap Hit Dead Cap
2022 $3m - $9.3m - $28m $12.3m $47.6m
2023 $11m - $9.3m - $11m $20.3m

$37.3m

2024 $2m $12.5m $5m $2.75m $17.25m $22.25m $17m
2025 - $15.75m $5m $2.75m $18.5m $23.5m $10m
2026 - $18.75m $5m

$2.75m

$21.5m $26.5m $5m

Reasons why this contract works for the Bills:

1. It would reduce Diggs's cap hit in 2022 when the Bills are tight on space and provide them with an additional $6m of cap room;

2. It only increases his 2023 hit by about $2m and while the Bills on the face of it look like they have a chunk of space in 2023 (circa $55m) they also only have 27 players under contract and four of those are guys who have never progressed beyond the practice squad;

3. It only actually ties them to Diggs one more year: his age 30 season in 2024 (he will turn 31 towards the end of that season). If the Bills want to get out after that a $10m cap hit that can be spread over two years would not hamstring them. The more likely scenario is it in reality extends him for two years and he moves on aged 32 after 2025 for a minimal cap hit. 

4. It keeps Josh Allen his favourite target as he starts to go in to his big number cap years. 

Reasons why this contract works for Stefon Diggs:

1. It puts him in the top 5 of wide receivers by AAV. That is justified by his performance.

2. It takes him from only $8.6m guaranteed money to $49.6m in guaranteed money.

3. It pays him $12m more in the next two years in new money than his current deal. 

4. It keeps him in a spot where he is happy, in a pass heavy offense with an elite Quarterback and a chance to win a championship. 

Where's the Valentine's Day bonus?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/21/2022 at 2:59 AM, HOUSE said:

The guy has 2 girlfriends in ONE hotel, has to be expensive

Don’t be jealous, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.