Who was the best player on the Bills roster during the Super Bowl years?

JohnNord

Bruce is an All Time legend, but Thurman Thomas was the player that made the early 90s Bills so dangerous. He was the NFL mvp in 91 for good reason. Thurman could do it all, run from backfield, play receive, run perfect screens, block…. He was the perfect running back in a time that running backs were important. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bruce and OJ are really the only two players in Bills history who are really in "best ever at their position" discussions so that's a pretty easy one.

OJ is in the best ever discussion?  With who?  OJ?

He's not even close to the best ever.

• Disagree 2

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

On just about every good team in the NFL team, the quarterback in the best player on the roster.  That has been the case on the Bills for the past two seasons.  

But who would you say the best player on the Bills roster was during the Super Bowl years?  I’d actually tough to do given the quality of the roster. 

As great as Jim Kelly was, I think he was probably #3 behind Bruce (1) and Thurman (2).  The one exception might be 1991 when Kelly threw for a (then) franchise record 33 TD’s and 3,800 yards passing.  But even then Thurman won MVP that season.  

If I were to rank the best players I’d probably go on this order overall:

1. Bruce Smith

2. Thurman Thomas

3. Jim Kelly

4. Cornelius Bennett

5. Andre Reed

I would reverse order for Bennett and Reed, but your list is otherwise pretty inarguable.

Bruce Smith and it's not even close. Bruce is in the discussion for top 10 player of all time and the greatest ever at his position.  

Thurman was a devastating runner and pass catcher  My favorite player of all time but no where near the skill level of Bruce.   

Kelly was very good but he was barely in the top 5 of QBs in his era.  Marino, Montana, Elway, Young, were all better. I'd take Kelly over Aikman though some may not. And I'm leaving Favre out of the equation because their careers barely overlapped.  

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bruce Smith and it's not even close. Bruce is in the discussion for top 10 player of all time and the greatest ever at his position.  

Thurman was a devastating runner and pass catcher  My favorite player of all time but no where near the skill level of Bruce.   

Kelly was very good but he was barely in the top 5 of QBs in his era.  Marino, Montana, Elway, Young, were all better. I'd take Kelly over Aikman though some may not. And I'm leaving Favre out of the equation because their careers barely overlapped.  

MarWHINEo was top 5?  All he could do was throw - he was less mobile than Bledsoe, a monument, and he was TERRIBLE at run fakes for they fooled no one (but fools).  I think you are giving him credit too much for his commercials mostly short when he was on IR and he was reported playing golf when he was.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

OJ is in the best ever discussion?  With who?  OJ?

He's not even close to the best ever.

OJ doesn't have the most yards of any RB ever (even on the Bills -- Thurman had more yards) but he was the most dominant RB in the game for a four year stretch.  No other RB, after 14 games of their team's season, has over 2000 yards. 

I would still take his speed, power, size, elusiveness, and grace over any other RB.  His crimes have overshadowed his on-field greatness, but if we're just talking about football, he's among the very best, possibly second only to Jim Brown.  

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Having lived through that era there is one guy that stand out to me that was basically indispensable...besides the QB. The Bills won one of their greatest games with Kelly on the sidelines as Frank Reich who went 21 of 34 for 289 yards, 4 TDs in that wild, Wildcard game against the Houston Oilers, 41-38.

Reich was indispensable! He also was 16 for 23 and 2 TD's the next week in the divisionals at Pittsburgh, which the Bills won 24-3.

8 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Thurman Thomas..without him would have been no Superbowl appearance. 

Always on, relentless, stone cold killer... if we had him today, we would have just had our second SB parade

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Locomark said:

No one even close to Bruce. If we had him today we would still all be hungover from the parade. 

Parades!  With Bruce on a team with Allen as qb I don't see them losing often and I'd say it was likely they'd have a new unbeaten season in the record books to better the Shula undefeated season.