150 draft prospects threaten to boycott Combine

YoloinOhio

The Market District, where the combine is, is a big party location.   Multiple bars that are very popular.  NFL does not want  the young men to go out and meet the local heathens?  Let them have a good time.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Any word on what the objections are? 

Is it the bubble per se,

or the limited access to support personnel,

or lumping everything (measurements, lifting, and drills) into one day?

The combine is located in the Market District.  Plenty of popular bars and they want these young men away from them.   IMO

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You really don't find it odd the NFL would completely relax protocols (testing) for the revenue generated by the playoffs, and then announce a combine bubble.  Last year those protocols were completely necessary based on the numbers. This year as numbers and mask mandates fall accross the nation, I think its appropriate that some of these protocols need to be relaxed too. Just like they were for the playoffs. 

I asked what the bubble restrictions actually are.  I can’t tell if they’re odd or not unless I know that.

I guess you don’t need to have actual information in order to make up your mind 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Bferra13 said:

Pretty sure McBeane's interview process is a huge part of how they draft. So now this would be limited to the 20 or so visits they get to the facility? Not sure, but I'd say it's far from pointless.

Can the teams interview players at school pro days?

I know they can have short interviews at the Senior Bowl but I think the number is limited?

36 minutes ago, Nitro said:

The Market District, where the combine is, is a big party location.   Multiple bars that are very popular.  NFL does not want  the young men to go out and meet the local heathens?  Let them have a good time.  

The combine is located in the Market District.  Plenty of popular bars and they want these young men away from them.   IMO

The night before my major job interviews I would eat a healthy meal, review some information about the company I was interviewing and the people who would be interviewing me, and practice my presentation, then do a light workout and get to bed.  I would not go out to the bar and kick the “T” out of whatever town it was.

Are elite athletes trying to get drafted into the NFL really gonna go out and hit the bars in the middle of the combine, so they show up for interviews in “prime” shape or the night before they lift or do drills so it might decrease their performance?

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The night before my major job interviews I would eat a healthy meal, review some information about the company I was interviewing and the people who would be interviewing me, and practice my presentation, then do a light workout and get to bed.  I would not go out to the bar and kick the “T” out of whatever town it was.

Are elite athletes trying to get drafted into the NFL really gonna go out and hit the bars in the middle of the combine, so they show up for interviews in “prime” shape or the night before they lift or do drills so it might decrease their performance?

Yes they do.  I have met a several a few years back when I worked that district.  Young guys do sneak out and try to enjoy themselves.  Not much drinking but trying to find a young ladies. 

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I asked what the bubble restrictions actually are.  I can’t tell if they’re odd or not unless I know that.

I guess you don’t need to have actual information in order to make up your mind 🤷‍♂️

Can the teams interview players at school pro days?

I know they can have short interviews at the Senior Bowl but I think the number is limited?

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/02/nfl-combine-heavily-increasing-covid-protocols

There ya go Hap

Happy

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

So what part of that are the 150 boycotting players objecting to?

Scheduled medical exams (vs waiting in a line) seems like something that should have happened years ago

A communication/scheduling app seems reasonable

According to what you posted, they’re not being required to be vaccinated or wear a mask or be tested daily - only if they self-report symptoms

People who examine or treat them are being required to be vaccinated and wear a mask

This seems very like what the NFL did during the end of the season and playoffs where they stopped testing, and where players were not required to be vaccinated but coaches and trainers were required to be vaccinated (and to wear masks while treating players.

Is it putting multiple physical events into one day that’s the beef?

Or excluding all but one of the players trainers/support staff?

Or just “for 3 days you gotta stay in”?

Again, I could be wrong but I think NFL teams required the players to stay in the hotel etc at the end of the season/playoffs and not go out to eat…

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what part of that are the 150 boycotting players objecting to?

Scheduled medical exams (vs waiting in a line) seems like something that should have happened years ago

A communication/scheduling app seems reasonable

According to what you posted, they’re not being required to be vaccinated or wear a mask or be tested daily - only if they self-report symptoms

People who examine or treat them are being required to be vaccinated and wear a mask

This seems very like what the NFL did during the end of the season and playoffs where they stopped testing, and where players were not required to be vaccinated but coaches and trainers were required to be vaccinated (and to wear masks while treating players.

Is it putting multiple physical events into one day that’s the beef?

Or excluding all but one of the players trainers/support staff?

Or just “for 3 days you gotta stay in”?

Again, I could be wrong but I think NFL teams required the players to stay in the hotel etc at the end of the season/playoffs and not go out to eat…

Gee Hap let me go out tonight and interview all the players and I'll get back to you. 

4 hours ago, dpberr said:

Good for these athletes. I wouldn't want to get hurt either cramming all the evaluation into one day.

If this is for the "safety" of the athletes, they are making it safer just not having it.

Remember, the Combine was only created as a way for billionaires to save some money on scouting. There is no benefit at all to the player.

That's not true at all. Players' draft stocks have risen significantly after good combine performances. We all like to act like it doesn't happen, but it does. Some years more than others.

Any chance these guys have to put more of themselves in front of NFL decision makers, the better for them. Obviously, this does not apply to guys with high first round grades, but every other player benefits from it.

2 hours ago, Nitro said:

Wow. Good on the NFL to save these immature players from their own stupidity, then. Going out drinking and partying before the biggest job interview of their life and perhaps missing out on millions of dollars?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nitro said:

Yes they do.  I have met a several a few years back when I worked that district.  Young guys do sneak out and try to enjoy themselves.  Not much drinking but trying to find a young ladies. 

Just like a player who was under restriction before game brought a rent-a-girl to hotel and then got let go.

Will teams have option to pass players whose agent is recommend them skip combine but will there NFLPA insist on an idiotic rule that teams cannot take that into consideration like they have other things?

A player doesn't have to go to the combine of they don't want to. Its not like the combine is going to be short 150 players if they don't go. There's a line of thousands of prospects behind them who will happily step right in. I understand why it's being reported but its really a complete non story

• Like (+1) 2

I think this is more about an objection to the scouting combine in general under the guise of what appears to be pretty innocuous Covid protocols.  Anything that gives more power to the players I'm in favor of so I hope they follow through on the threat.

Edited by Doc Brown

9 hours ago, dpberr said:

Good for these athletes. I wouldn't want to get hurt either cramming all the evaluation into one day.

If this is for the "safety" of the athletes, they are making it safer just not having it.

Remember, the Combine was only created as a way for billionaires to save some money on scouting. There is no benefit at all to the player.

Not 100% true, not beneficial to known athletes. Small school athletes could benefit greatly. 

Though I do agree with the players, all the testing should be optional. Interviews and medical should be all that matters at this point for prospects.