150 draft prospects threaten to boycott Combine

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Do we really even need the combine outside of the medicals? Just have pro days for the rest.

Seems like the medicals are what the NFLPA are opposed to, right? I think the interviews are valuable. Getting to sit each player down and run through plays and ask other questions.

• Like (+1) 3

Just so hypocritical that the NFL shuts down all testing right before the playoffs and now they reboot some very unnecessary protocols.  Time to turn this pandemic into endemic phase please. And yes the teams want the medicals and interviews as top priority.  The rest (40's, etc) are just gravy. Most of these guys will do pro days anyway. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Any idea what the "bubble" restrictions they're opposed to might be?

LOL at the NFLPA

27 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just so hypocritical that the NFL shuts down all testing right before the playoffs and now they reboot some very unnecessary protocols.  Time to turn this pandemic into endemic phase please. And yes the teams want the medicals and interviews as top priority.  The rest (40's, etc) are just gravy. Most of these guys will do pro days anyway. 

Leaving aside the general comments about the pandemic (which are out of bounds here) - again, what are these "unnecessary protocols"?  Hopefully since you have a strong opinion as to whether or not they're reasonable, you can tell us exactly what the protocols and requirements for draft prospects and support personnel might be, and how they differ from previous years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Sad 1

Good for these athletes. I wouldn't want to get hurt either cramming all the evaluation into one day.

If this is for the "safety" of the athletes, they are making it safer just not having it.

Remember, the Combine was only created as a way for billionaires to save some money on scouting. There is no benefit at all to the player.

• Dislike 1

So wait, it’s a very physical sport but these athletes don’t want physicians in a common setting to be able to test whether they are healthy enough for the sport that will pay them millions of dollars? Oh those poor athletes.

Every other profession has people jump through hoops to get a job but these people again can’t be bothered. Imagine if I told a prospective employer to come to my house, when I felt like it, to interview me. Then I will give them my prepared answers with my prepared advisors and drills to prove my worthiness. What a joke. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

The interviews and medicals are the most important thing in my opinion. These guys have so much tape on these guys. Just let them do their pro days and use the combine for medicals and interviews. The problem again is the NFL has made it into a huge money maker over a week-long event in the offseason and wants to capitalize on the monetary gains. Here's an idea pay the prospects for their time. They are technically professionals now interviewing for a job. It's a compromise that might work.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

LOL at the NFLPA

Leaving aside the general comments about the pandemic (which are out of bounds here) - again, what are these "unnecessary protocols"?  Hopefully since you have a strong opinion as to whether or not they're reasonable, you can tell us exactly what the protocols and requirements for draft prospects and support personnel might be, and how they differ from previous years.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Any word on what the objections are? 

Is it the bubble per se,

or the limited access to support personnel,

or lumping everything (measurements, lifting, and drills) into one day?

The bubble environment in general but specifically  allowing players access to their full team of coaches, trainers, ATCs et al.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

LOL at the NFLPA

You really don't find it odd the NFL would completely relax protocols (testing) for the revenue generated by the playoffs, and then announce a combine bubble.  Last year those protocols were completely necessary based on the numbers. This year as numbers and mask mandates fall accross the nation, I think its appropriate that some of these protocols need to be relaxed too. Just like they were for the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The bubble environment in general but specifically  allowing players access to their full team of coaches, trainers, ATCs et al.

So the biggest objection is to allowing only 1 “support person” who has only limited access?

I woulda thought the all-1-day measure/lift/drills would been a big objection 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Combine is kind of pointless honestly. 

Pretty sure McBeane's interview process is a huge part of how they draft. So now this would be limited to the 20 or so visits they get to the facility? Not sure, but I'd say it's far from pointless.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1