Josh is the only QB on the roster... who's going to back him up?

transplantbillsfan

Just now, Greg S said:

The way his career is going I wouldn't be surprised if Darnold ends up a career backup. This could actually happen and they could probably sign him for cheap as well.

He'll be being his new career as a backup sometime during this coming season.  The Panthers picked-up his 5th year option and can't cut him so they'll be forced to keep him.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Then a Fitzpatrick reunion sounds more realistic

No thanks.   If we're going with a former Bill, I'd rather go Tyrod.  His winning percentage is better and he at least can take a team to the playoffs.

But neither is happening.

Kyle Allen is an interesting name. He has showed flashes and I think he was a participant in the dinner with Josh Allen and C Kirk?

Trouble is Kyle Allen is a RFA.

As much as I love Fitz he has the Fitztragic curse. Only the Madden curse has a better hit rate. I want no part of that around Josh Allen.

Also as good as Fitz can be he may be the least clutch QB I've ever seen.

Trubisky could end up here. If Daboll had gone to a QB hungry team, the Trubisky with Daboll plan made sense. I think the Giants believe Daboll is the QB whisperer and can get the most out of Jones, and he has shown some capability. The Giants need to get some OL help there. Trubisky to NY would create a QB controversy. With the off-season the G-men have already had, not sure Daboll wants that added year one as a HC.

I think Tampa or New Orleans may be interested in Mitch. Arians is probably as good an offensive mind as there is and he is arrogant enough to try to reclaim MT as a day 1 starter. New Orleans is a mess at QB and way over the cap. Trubisky could be a low cost high reward type player for them at QB.

If MT is left without a clear shot to compete as a starter, why would he leave Buffalo?

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

The way his career is going I wouldn't be surprised if Darnold ends up a career backup. This could actually happen and they could probably sign him for cheap as well.

Yeah I agree. Right now its all about keeping Josh happy at all costs. Sam Darnold is one of Josh’s bests friends and also was coached by Brady… could be a good QB room… While they are at it I wouldn’t mind signing Kyle Allen who is also a free agent and one of Josh’s good friends. All 3 of them have been training together in the offseasons. 

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

The way his career is going, Darnold will be OOF within the next couple years.  He's on an EJ Manuel trajectory.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Then a Fitzpatrick reunion sounds more realistic

Is he even healthy? Yeah we all

saw him shirtless at the playoff

game, but last I heard his hip wasn’t healing well. He’s nearing 40 and isn’t exactly a physical specimen. 

He also has made the point that he doesn’t like signing with a team he’s already played for. I think we have a better shot of Trubisky returning than Fitz

It could still be Trubisky. I'm not certain he is going to get the opportunity he really wants in this QB market. He could decide that one more year in Buffalo in this system could be the best thing for him. I could see Trubisky to the Steelers making a lot of sense but if that doesn't happen then I'm not sure where he would end up.

20 hours ago, Greg S said:

Problem is ; Darnold is a really terrible QB, we really can’t go lower than a bad QB as our back up…, 

On 2/21/2022 at 8:32 AM, Donuts and Doritos said:

Quite a few interesting free agent names available. Here's the list: 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

Brian Hoyer would be an interesting Veteran Minimum signing if new OC plans on keeping same offense system and terminology.

17 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Is he even healthy? Yeah we all

saw him shirtless at the playoff

game, but last I heard his hip wasn’t healing well. He’s nearing 40 and isn’t exactly a physical specimen. 

He also has made the point that he doesn’t like signing with a team he’s already played for. I think we have a better shot of Trubisky returning than Fitz

Frankly as one year stop gap Fitzpatrick seems perfect for Steelers.

21 hours ago, wppete said:

josh-allen-sam-darnold-bills.jpg

Why does Darnold's jersey look like it came DH Gate and should have grass stains on it having been worn before.

I don't understand the fans that keep bringing up Taylor and Fitzpatrick as viable backups.

From Taylor's standpoint, he already played for this regime and they moved on from him. And yes kudos for him being here during the drought breaking season but he's proven definitively he's not an NFL starting QB.

As for Fitzpatrick, as others have mentioned the main reason I would not want him back is the bad luck teams seem to have with him including the Bills in terms of starters getting hurt and he inevitably plays meaningful games. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if he just retires though even if the bills or other teams are interested.

19 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

From Taylor's standpoint, he already played for this regime and they moved on from him. And yes kudos for him being here during the drought breaking season but he's proven definitively he's not an NFL starting QB.

Correct… that’s why people keep bringing him up as a viable backup option 😂

You’re not even good at trolling anymore. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.