Josh is the only QB on the roster... who's going to back him up?

transplantbillsfan

20 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I’ve thought about this. Allen and Darnold are best friends and it would be a good move for Darnold to come here and take a step back while backing up his buddy. If we could make the numbers work this would be my hope. 

Those guys aren’t available in FA. 

No need to repeat yourself.

On 2/19/2022 at 1:38 AM, BillsFanForever19 said:

If a team doesn't sign Mitch to be a bridge gap or there isn't a team that wants him with a shaky QB at 1 - he'll be back. 

If there is and he's gone - it'll be either Jameis Winston, Jacoby Brissett, Teddy Bridgewater, Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Tyrod Taylor. Off chance of Cam Newton if there's history with McBeane and they (for some unknown reason) think he could still be good in a pinch under them.

I thought he was going to go to the Giants with Daboll?

19 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Does it matter? We aren't doing anything if he goes down.

It matters if Allen misses significant time but is able to return.  Say Allen goes 8-3 in the games he plays in.  If a poor backup we’re to go 1-5 or 2-4 we either would not make the playoffs or sneak in as a low WC with no hope of a home game.  Someone that could go 3-3 or 4-2 would put us at 11-6 or 12-5.  That’s a big difference.  That’s why it’s worth having a capable backup.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I’m not sure why everyone just assumes Mitch won’t be back. It’s not like he had a bunch of games where he showed teams he should be starting. He was a great feeling to have here as a backup but I think we are highly overstating his value across the league. He’s absolutely not getting a starting job somewhere next year. I don’t know why he wouldn’t want to come back here. If he wants to go somewhere to complete for a starting job, off hand there are probably less then 5 teams where that could even be a thought. Most teams have qb situations where they are either sewn up, or are looking to see what their young guys can do. I think the market for him is smaller then perceived. I expect Mitch back. 

20 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't hate this but I think he still is under his 5th year option for 2022 no?

I wouldn't hate Tyrod solid game manager with plus ability to make plays with his legs. Might want to rehab his value after not getting a decent shot to start the past few seasons due to injury. You could do worse for a backup. 

I’ve said it 100 times…..Tyrod Taylor is the prototypical backup QB. He won’t win you alot of games with his arm, but he won’t lose you many games either. He doesn’t turn the ball over and has good scrambling ability. Tyrod is a good QB to fill in for 4-5 games and keep a team like ours above water.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

It matters if Allen misses significant time but is able to return.  Say Allen goes 8-3 in the games he plays in.  If a poor backup we’re to go 1-5 or 2-4 we either would not make the playoffs or sneak in as a low WC with no hope of a home game.  Someone that could go 3-3 or 4-2 would put us at 11-6 or 12-5.  That’s a big difference.  That’s why it’s worth having a capable backup.

Since home games don't really seem to matter that much in the playoffs anymore, I don't really think it matters too much where we play..

Cincy made the Super Bowl with only one home game and TB won it as a wildcard last year with no home games.

Edited by Big Turk

11 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I’ve said it 100 times…..Tyrod Taylor is the prototypical backup QB. He won’t win you alot of games with his arm, but he won’t lose you many games either. He doesn’t turn the ball over and has good scrambling ability. Tyrod is a good QB to fill in for 4-5 games and keep a team like ours above water.

He's about a .500 QB, which isn't terrible.  But he wouldn't return to Buffalo, much less for league minimum, or even close to it.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I think your point is correct but we need a cheap backup and I bet Tyrod still gets 8-10 million a year offer

• Agree 1

Count me in on the Kyle Allen train. 

Would love me some Fitzmagic too

14 minutes ago, eball said:

The Bills are going to be trendsetters…first team to only carry one QB on the roster because Josh is indestructible.  That leaves room for an elite holder AND a competent punter!

Allen also takes over holder and punter duties. 

Think about that, teams literally would have no idea how to play that. 

40 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Since home games don't really seem to matter that much in the playoffs anymore, I don't really think it matters too much where we play..

Cincy made the Super Bowl as a wildcard with no home games and TB won it last year the same way.

While you can certainly find anecdotal evidence to the contrary, statistically having home field in games is an advantage.  

20 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

While you can certainly find anecdotal evidence to the contrary, statistically having home field in games is an advantage.  

You’d have to be completely oblivious to think that playing in Orchard Park wouldn’t be a giant advantage relative to playing in that Kansas City madhouse.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Cincy made the Super Bowl as a wildcard with no home games and TB won it last year the same way.

The Bengals won the AFC North Division and their first playoff win this year was at home against the Raiders

Care to revise your statement?  

22 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

You’d have to be completely oblivious to think that playing in Orchard Park wouldn’t be a giant advantage relative to playing in that Kansas City madhouse.

Agree.

The Jaguars game would have made all the difference.  I think a Championship caliber team wins those games....  even if they don't have it that day so to speak.  

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

If Tyrod makes 8 mil as a backup, something is very very wrong with that organization 

I would take Tyrod to start in Detroit, Chicago, Steelers, Giants, and Carolina as constituted right now. You pick him to steady the team while trying to find better. Don't forget we were paying him 18 a year a few years ago. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.