Josh is the only QB on the roster... who's going to back him up?

transplantbillsfan

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I guess when I look at roster needs I don't have this on it.  not like Beane doesn't know he needs at least 3 QBS

Backup QB kinda matters... especially for Josh's style of play.

I don't think he gets injured, but most would say his style of play makes him more likely to get injured.

So among all the positions the Bills absolutely have to fill with multiple players, I see only 2:

QB & CB

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

We could maybe give them a 7th rounder for him if they pick up say at least 15 to 17 million of his salary.  

That would likely require them to extene him first because under the terms of the option the team he plays on is liable for all of it. So Carolina would have to extend him to redistribute the money in the deal. That requires his agreement. Re-negotiate your deal so that you can be traded is not unheard of. But it is not all that common either. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

That would likely require them to extene him first because under the terms of the option the team he plays on is liable for all of it. So Carolina would have to extend him to redistribute the money in the deal. That requires his agreement. Re-negotiate your deal so that you can be traded is not unheard of. But it is not all that common either. 

Interesting.  Didn't know that 5th year option clause and Darnold has no reason to re-negotiate his deal.  I just thought of the Bridgewater trade last year to the Broncos with the Panthers paying 7 million and the Broncos paying 3 million.  Panthers are basically stuck with Darnold.

36 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Interesting.  Didn't know that 5th year option clause and Darnold has no reason to re-negotiate his deal.  I just thought of the Bridgewater trade last year to the Broncos with the Panthers paying 7 million and the Broncos paying 3 million.  Panthers are basically stuck with Darnold.

Yep. 

If a team doesn't sign Mitch to be a bridge gap or there isn't a team that wants him with a shaky QB at 1 - he'll be back. 

If there is and he's gone - it'll be either Jameis Winston, Jacoby Brissett, Teddy Bridgewater, Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Tyrod Taylor. Off chance of Cam Newton if there's history with McBeane and they (for some unknown reason) think he could still be good in a pinch under them.

5 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Let the dust settle after free agency starts and get one of the guys who doesn’t get an opportunity at one of the starting openings.  

That was basically Beane's approach a few years ago when we signed McCarron. Ended up flipping him for a pick, too.

I'm fairly certain we will draft one on day 3 and mix in a guy like Brandon Allen as a low price backup that has starting experience. 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm fairly certain we will draft one on day 3 and mix in a guy like Brandon Allen as a low price backup that has starting experience. 

>>>  "Here, kid... I bought you an Allen jersey!"

<<<  "Yeah, Brandon..." 😒

Do you realize all the work that will make for jersey nameplate manufacturers and 'sewer onners'?! 🤨

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Great point. Perhaps we add Kyle Allen, instead.

NFL rules history lesson for today:

2020:  All teams must have at least one 'Williams' on the roster.

2022:  All teams must have at least one 'Allen' on the roster.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Keep typing!
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Whoever loses free agency musical chairs among the available backup QBs. I'm hoping for Mariota.

yep.  just keep rotating in the low cost FA losers each year. 

Let's face it, if Josh goes down say like Russell Wilson did last season, we'll get a similar result to what the Seahawks got.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

yep.  just keep rotating in the low cost FA losers each year. 

Let's face it, if Josh goes down say like Russell Wilson did last season, we'll get a similar result to what the Seahawks got.  

I dont think so. Bills roster is better than Seattle. Trubisky and Marriota are better than Geno Smith. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Lost in the offseason discussion seems to be that we now only have 1 QB on our roster:

Josh Allen

Beane's approach last offseason to bring Trubisky in makes me doubt we'll let a 5th round drafted rookie QB be 1 snap away from getting under center, which means one of our FA acquisitions this offseason is going to be a vet FA QB... which costs money.

PLUS one of our draft picks is likely going to be a QB because... well... we only have Josh...

and unlike the Matrix... there CANNOT be only one...

QB...

on an NFL roster :flirt:

Tell that to Bill Belichick: https://www.patspulpit.com/2021/8/31/22648576/new-england-patriots-initial-53-man-roster-after-cutdown-day

Assuming he gets cut, Carson Wentz?  Aaron Donald?  Maybe their backup plan is to go after reclamation projects.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.