What would it take to get Chase Young?

Weatherman

13 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes. Thanks for the reminder. 

Please keep teaching me about football; I have so much to learn from you. Do bring up some more trade scenarios in which we give up years of draft picks for a defender but next time, make it a trade for a defensive back, OK? 👍👌👍 

Trading draft picks for a stud DE has never helped any team win a championship…oh wait.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I put him on ignore long ago.  Do yourself a favor.  Do the same.

I forgot he existed until this insightful thread made its way into my life.  

You put me on ignore because I called you out for being a D to other posters.  Keep it real bud!

5 hours ago, Weatherman said:

How’d he do the previous year?  Who said anything about the HOF?  He had a solid rookie campaign 7.5 sacks, 4FF, 3 FR, and crowned DROY.  We don’t have a single DE on this team that can effectively rush the passer.  Rousseau is still an unknown and everyone else most likely wouldn’t be starters on any team in the league.  

Which QB is Washington trading up for? 

26 minutes ago, cle23 said:

They can't be looking to trade Young and/or any other player for a chance to move up in this year's draft.  There are no franchise QBs (until proven otherwise).  It has to be for a veteran franchise QB.  My guess is Watson.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Weatherman said:

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player-news/10601761

Supposedly, the Commanders want to start over and May need ammo to trade for or draft a QB.  A Chase Young quality DE on this team and we are instant Super Bowl favorites.  What would fair market value be?  Do we have the ammo?  Khalil Mack cost was 2 #1’s a #3 and #6 for KM and a #2.  

Mack wasn’t worth it to Chicago. Not his fault, the team wasn’t ready and nowhere near ‘an impact player away from the Super Bowl’. Although the Bills are in a different boat than Chicago was back then, Young isn’t exactly as proven a commodity as KM, and paying the Mack isn’t going to happen around the NFL lol

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, cle23 said:

No idea if they would favor a QB in the draft or they are targeting DW or another vet.  

2 hours ago, Doc said:

They can't be looking to trade Young and/or any other player for a chance to move up in this year's draft.  There are no franchise QBs (until proven otherwise).  It has to be for a veteran franchise QB.  My guess is Watson.

This is what I’m thinking as well.  But then again, most draft analysts had Allen as a bust and the other QBs in the draft as can’t miss franchise QB’s.  

42 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

This is what I’m thinking as well.  But then again, most draft analysts had Allen as a bust and the other QBs in the draft as can’t miss franchise QB’s.  

I left it open with the "until proven otherwise."  But if you were the Redskins' GM, which QB in this draft would you stake your career on, much less with a trade up?

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I left it open with the "until proven otherwise."  But if you were the Redskins' GM, which QB in this draft would you stake your career on, much less with a trade up?

None, but then again I’m not paid to asses QB’s so my opinion means squat.  If Watson is cleared of the charges I’d imagine he’d be the priority.  

11 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

They would have to have a trade partner with a QB they wanted lined up and that partner would have to prefer our picks over Young or Sweat.  That scenario is unlikely to say the least. 

They’re already at 11 plus they have 42 and 73. For reference Buffalo obtained the 7th and 255th overall picks from Tampa Bay for the 12th, 53rd, and 56th overall picks. The Jaguars at 1 and Jets at 4 both have their QBs and Houston at 3 and Atlanta at 8 may not be seeking QBs, so all are potential trade partners. Heck even the Giants at 5 if they roll with Jones or 7 if they take a QB at 5. I won’t say it’s likely because what trade up is, but it’s definitely possible. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
“the” to “they”
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

They’re already at 11 plus they have 42 and 73. For reference Buffalo obtained the 7th and 255th overall picks from Tampa Bay for the 12th, 53rd, and 56th overall picks. The Jaguars at 1 and Jets at 4 both have their QBs and Houston at 3 and Atlanta at 8 may not be seeking QBs, so all are potential trade partners. Heck even the Giants at 5 if the roll with Jones or 7 if they take a QB at 5. I won’t say it’s likely because what trade up is, but it’s definitely possible. 

You are missing or ignoring my point.  

• Disagree 1

10 hours ago, Weatherman said:

None, but then again I’m not paid to asses QB’s so my opinion means squat.  If Watson is cleared of the charges I’d imagine he’d be the priority.  

Even paid guys don't have any idea.  I'd hate to have to look for a QB in the draft this year.  Much less have to trade up to get him.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Even paid guys don't have any idea.  I'd hate to have to look for a QB in the draft this year.  Much less have to trade up to get him.

Sometimes what a team needs just isn’t there in a draft.  Bad and/or desperate GMs will fool themselves into believing otherwise.  

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Sometimes what a team needs just isn’t there in a draft.  Bad and/or desperate GMs will fool themselves into believing otherwise.  

I feel that’s what happened to the Bills in last years draft- they wanted an edge rusher so bad, they reached and ended up with poor value...

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I feel that’s what happened to the Bills in last years draft- they wanted an edge rusher so bad, they reached and ended up with poor value...

That’s certainly what I thought happened.  Rousseau has been better than I thought tho.  He’s never going to be a bend the edge guy, which is what I thought we really needed.  And I worried about his work ethic since he didn’t seem to train at all for the combine.  But he had a solid rookie season doing what he does best - standing up OTs and using his length to shed their blocks to make tackles as the play came by him.  I would still argue that it was too high for that kind of DE and that better options at other positions were on the board.  He feels a lot like Shaq Lawson to me in that he’s going to be a very tough second contract.  Maybe Beane and McDermott think that 4 or 5 cost controlled years at such a high dollar position are worth a late first.  Still, I don’t think that you draft a guy in the first unless you think there’s a decent chance you keep him past 5 seasons. 

It'd be easier to get almost anyone else at the position. You're talking a guy who's one of the top players at his position, has room to grow, hasn't got much tread on the tires at 22 years old, and still has two years on his Rookie deal (plus the 1 year option). He's not being moved unless it's part of a deal for a  Superstar Franchise QB like Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson. 

On 2/19/2022 at 11:34 AM, BuffaloRebound said:

Answer to original question is not enough.  Only thing Bills have that they’d trade Young for is Allen and that ain’t happening in a million years. The 25th pick and late 1st rounders for the foreseeable future ain’t gonna help Washington land a franchise QB.  

Maybe not draft one but maybe ammo to land Rogers or Wilson…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.