Is McDermott going to scare players away?

wagne591

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If this was the case, then 98% of players wouldn't sign extensions with the team that drafted them.  They would all hit the open free agent market where you can get more money.

Ethan being Ethan, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

Maybe a paragraph or two woul help

I used to review real estate appraisals from around the country, many from Mississippi and Alabama. They not only rejected paragraphs, THEY WOULD DO PAGES AT A TIME IN ALL CAPS!

I’d ask “What are you doing? You’re killing me!”. They told me “I was taught to work for speed.” I suggested they throw a little quality in with their quantity. If you are going to make my life hard because you are lazy and barely literate, I’m not going to make YOUR life any easier than I have to. WE pay YOU, keep that in mind. 

9 hours ago, Mark80 said:

How many ellipsis can one poster use in one very long paragraph?

One thing I know is you are not supposed to look directly into them. 😋

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Same as the U.S. version:

Resigning = "I quit!"

Re-signing = "Play it again, Beane!"

Resigning should sound like it has a 'zee' (zed) in it.

Re-signing should sound as sibilant as a snake.

😁

Considering how many words in the English language have multiple meanings, I wonder why was it decided that one of these had to be hyphenated.

9 hours ago, wagne591 said:

Looking at how McDermott handles his players during season and in game is sometimes questionable...don't you think?  McKenzie fumbled the punt against Indy...yes it was bad...but everyone on the team seemed to be having a bad day during that one.  Did that mean that McKenzie needed to be benched for that game and then on the IA list the following week.  I don't think so, that is why McKenzie may be leaving us.  Z. Moss fumbled the ball in 2020 against SF early in the game...yes it was on the goal line...but I don't think coach had to benched him for the rest of the game.  D. Singletary had fumble problems in 2020 and early this year he seems to under utilize him until the end of the year...that is probably a bad example...but you get the point.  Not to mention his in game management as a coach...he always preaches Super Bowl caliber to his players well maybe he needs to look in the mirror too.  He is the head coach which means he is responsible for everything that goes on, on the field.  Bad play calls by the Offence or Defense...on him.  Weather or not to go for it on 4th down...on him.  Communication on the side lines...on him. Questionable use of TO's during the game...on him.  This one baffles me as a spectator and watching how other coaches use their time outs.  He never uses his time outs to manage situations...(i.e. after we scored a go ahead TD with 13 seconds left.  We still had one TO to burn, why not use it to calm the team down after the big play lets catch our breath and make sure everyone is on the same page on how to close out the game.  Make sure Bass knows its a squib kick (trust but verify...leadership 101).  Make sure everyone knows the situation K.C. has 10 seconds basically (less then 10 seconds with a squib kick/3 seconds or less for FG try) to get in FG range with 3 TO's at their disposal so cover the whole field.  Instead he uses his TO on the second play on Defense to see what the Chiefs will do giving them more time to come up with a play.  Not a Super Bowl Caliber moment for our coaching staff and it falls on McD.  He is a great coach but not a great game manager. 

This might keep our own guys from resigning or it might scare potential FA's from coming here.    

I don't want our players to resign. I do hope that they re-sign when they're contracts are up.

7 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

At the risk of interrupting your never ending crusade against McDermott, if you don't think he owns up to his mistakes, or doesn't hold himself accountable regarding things for which he is responsible, then you haven't paid any attention over the last five years to those things that define the character of McDermott.

Or, you just have no ability to evaluate human behavior.

There's alot to love about Sean McDermott. He turned a post-Rex dysfunctional team into one of character,  culture and process. He holds players accountable for their mistakes by short term benching which is the same strategy Belichick used. He could very well turn out to be the best coach this organization has ever had. 

But.....yes here comes the but....my biggest concern for Sean is his capacity to make the right decisions late in high leverage situations.  No one can deny his in game situational mistakes. I don't want the guy fired, that's crazy town. But if you hold your players to a high standard,  you can't blame the last 13 seconds to "execution" and "communication" issues.  Free agents will come to Buffalo more because of Josh than anything else. My so called crusade will always center around Sean's ability or lack thereof to learn from these mistakes. And hopefully not make new ones.

I’m afraid of religious cults so I’d say yes. Not sure how mainstream that is in the NFL but I certainly didn’t like scheduled prayer sessions and other random weirdness in the workplace when I lived in Greenville, SC. Others may enjoy it quite a bit.

If you look at the players that left when McD first arrived, you see a slightly disturbing trend. Players not “buying in” to the process meant something a little different than I first realized at the time.

McD stole the whole benching after a fumble thing from Hoodie. I don’t hate the idea but it can be a bit stubborn at times.

Edited by Governor
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's alot to love about Sean McDermott. He turned a post-Rex dysfunctional team into one of character,  culture and process. He holds players accountable for their mistakes by short term benching which is the same strategy Belichick used. He could very well turn out to be the best coach this organization has ever had. 

But.....yes here comes the but....my biggest concern for Sean is his capacity to make the right decisions late in high leverage situations.  No one can deny his in game situational mistakes. I don't want the guy fired, that's crazy town. But if you hold your players to a high standard,  you can't blame the last 13 seconds to "execution" and "communication" issues.  Free agents will come to Buffalo more because of Josh than anything else. My so called crusade will always center around Sean's ability or lack thereof to learn from these mistakes. And hopefully not make new ones.

How does that in any way translate into McDermott not owning up to his mistakes, or not holding himself accountable?

2 hours ago, Governor said:

I’m afraid of religious cults so I’d say yes. Not sure how mainstream that is in the NFL but I certainly didn’t like scheduled prayer sessions and other random weirdness in the workplace when I lived in Greenville, SC. Others may enjoy it quite a bit.

If you look at the players that left when McD first arrived, you see a slightly disturbing trend. Players not “buying in” to the process meant something a little different than I first realized at the time.

McD stole the whole benching after a fumble thing from Hoodie. I don’t hate the idea but it can be a bit stubborn at times.

Just when I thought your posts couldn't get any worse...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

How does that in any way translate into McDermott not owning up to his mistakes, or not holding himself accountable?

Just when I thought your posts couldn't get any worse...

I actually enjoy takes by neurotic posters.  Keeps it interesting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.