Why the hate for The Ringer and Bill Simmons - comments on the Bills and Josh Allen

Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

ummm, has there been a big movement against bill simmons around here that i'm missing?

speaking of Bills haters. Nick Wrong came out and said the same thing earlier in the week. Basically said if he was a bills fan watching the superbowl he'd be sick to his stomach knowing we would have rolled both the teams playing.

Then stop losing to crap teams like Jacksonville. Problem solved. 

12 minutes ago, Pasaluki said:

He's no fan he just knows Allen is going to roll the Patriots from now on and wants to be a little bandwagon boy

Watching Mac Jones turn into Chad Pennington will be entertaining. 

31 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Simmons is a clown and his flunkies are even worse. But if want to pollute your eyes and ears with his garbage go ahead.

This is classic Buffalo little brother syndrome.  Simmons is very good and has a vast knowledge base when it comes to sports & pop culture.  His Basketball book is one of the best there is.

https://www.amazon.ca/Book-Basketball-NBA-According-Sports/dp/0345520106/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=CjwKCAiAgbiQBhAHEiwAuQ6Bks5VCcQ-Xstp6YkUTM4WvAV_G6JkyG2fTTymD3zLv4voGDDUJs2XDBoCxdYQAvD_BwE&hvadid=229974942435&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9000918&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12508176298884055782&hvtargid=kwd-309558707701&hydadcr=1997_10289626&keywords=big+book+of+basketball&qid=1645117542&sr=8-1#customerReviews

Many of his podcasts are irreverent and fun listens.  The Rewatchables, Prestige TV, Discussion about MCU, Game of Thrones, David Chang, Wrestling.....

The Ringer has great writers and articles on more than just sports.

So JoPoy88, what do you have against him?  Just curious as I did start this thread to get some insight on as said, some peoples dislike of him.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So what he's a Boston fan, and will talk himself into backing the Patriots, Bruins, Celtics and Red Sox, but he is a great listen, knows his stuff and The Ringer has great podcasts and articles.  Love pop culture too.

So he's talking about the SB and in two separate podcasts said about the game just 'how bad Josh Allen and Bills fans must have felt watching the game in disgust, knowing how much better they were'.

He also lamented seeing, Allen, Burrow, Mahomes, Herbert, Jackson(not on the same level) in the conference, and the Pats have Jones.

He talks like someone here on TBD who's a fan.  Great cast of characters and contributors too.

He's not wrong. With a better head coach, it was there for the taking for us. Could have been the easiest road we'll have ever had. 

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So what he's a Boston fan, and will talk himself into backing the Patriots, Bruins, Celtics and Red Sox, but he is a great listen, knows his stuff and The Ringer has great podcasts and articles.  Love pop culture too.

So he's talking about the SB and in two separate podcasts said about the game just 'how bad Josh Allen and Bills fans must have felt watching the game in disgust, knowing how much better they were'.

He also lamented seeing, Allen, Burrow, Mahomes, Herbert, Jackson(not on the same level) in the conference, and the Pats have Jones.

He talks like someone here on TBD who's a fan.  Great cast of characters and contributors too.

I love Bill Simmons but he absolutely does not know his stuff on anything outside of basketball, movies and pop culture. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You lost me pretty early on 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

This is classic Buffalo little brother syndrome.  Simmons is very good and has a vast knowledge base when it comes to sports & pop culture.  His Basketball book is one of the best there is.

https://www.amazon.ca/Book-Basketball-NBA-According-Sports/dp/0345520106/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=CjwKCAiAgbiQBhAHEiwAuQ6Bks5VCcQ-Xstp6YkUTM4WvAV_G6JkyG2fTTymD3zLv4voGDDUJs2XDBoCxdYQAvD_BwE&hvadid=229974942435&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9000918&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12508176298884055782&hvtargid=kwd-309558707701&hydadcr=1997_10289626&keywords=big+book+of+basketball&qid=1645117542&sr=8-1#customerReviews

Many of his podcasts are irreverent and fun listens.  The Rewatchables, Prestige TV, Discussion about MCU, Game of Thrones, David Chang, Wrestling.....

The Ringer has great writers and articles on more than just sports.

So JoPoy88, what do you have against him?  Just curious as I did start this thread to get some insight on as said, some peoples dislike of him.  

and now you’re linking his book to buy?

1. no one here was “hating” on Simmons. You crafted that tidy strawman as an excuse to post about him here. You’re not fooling anyone.

2. But since you asked, I just personally think he’s buffoonish and obnoxious. I couldn’t care less about his opinions on The Wire. I watched the show myself, I know it’s good.

Simmons was a talented blogger-writer who could churn out 5,000 words worth of humorous takes on sports and pop culture. I didn't read him religiously, but when he was on he was fun to read.

His Grantland was an attempt to bring back longform sports writing for the internet age. A noble project that largely succeeded on a journalistic basis, but wasn't sufficiently profitable on an economic basis.

His Ringer is a dumbed down Grantland. It skewed younger. It skewed more toward the attention-challenged, and more toward pointless things like serious analysis of the deep themes developed in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. (I'll save him some time: we kick around concepts and focus group them based on what will sell the most tickets.) And he's basically given up writing in favor of podcasting. Why write anymore? It takes more time, you have to actually, you know, compose sentences and paragraphs and pay attention to grammar and all of that. And then no one has the patience to read all that anymore. So you just turn on a microphone and shoot the breeze with the latest version of a young Bill Simmons. And you know what? People are willing to pay a crapload of money for doing that, at least for now. 

No Simmons hate from me ... just boredom with his stream of consciousness overgrown frat boy act, and a little tinge of disappointment that he wasn't able to make serious sports writing a thing again. Somewhere Frank Deford sheds a tear ...

• Agree 1

I'm still torn on his take re: the Super Bowl, which I think is accurate in terms of how Bills fans felt, but who knows if it's reality.

Looking at the game, it does seem like we could have won it, and probably won it easily. But football is all about match-ups, and part of me still thinks we just didn't match up well w/ that Rams team.

I mean, we'll never know, of course.  I've really gotta move on from that.

1 minute ago, Success said:

I'm still torn on his take re: the Super Bowl, which I think is accurate in terms of how Bills fans felt, but who knows if it's reality.

Looking at the game, it does seem like we could have won it, and probably won it easily. But football is all about match-ups, and part of me still thinks we just didn't match up well w/ that Rams team.

I mean, we'll never know, of course.  I've really gotta move on from that.

What was his take on the Bills and the Super Bowl? - link ??  Is that why I'm not suppose to like him?

2 minutes ago, CSBill said:

What was his take on the Bills and the Super Bowl? - link ??  Is that why I'm not suppose to like him?

Basically, that it must have been hard for Bills fans watching the game knowing that their team was better than either the Rams or Bengals.

We were playing great football at the end, but I'm just not sure on that w/ the Rams.  The Bills were better at QB, but the Rams had great skill position guys, and their D was significantly better (imo).

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I sure felt that way.  And I don't even know who Bill Simmons is.  I do know Gene Simmons and think he is a heavy metal god.  And I do know Richard Simmons-and don't quite think of him quite as highly.  But he was funny back in the day.  LOL

It's funny, during the regular season everyone says it's a week to week league and teams that lose can still be better than teams that win.  But when we get to the playoffs, there is this idea that the BEST two teams make it to the Super Bowl each year.  While that may be the case MOST years, I dont believe the best teams make or even win.  It's honestly the beauty and the curse of the playoffs.  Bills play the Chiefs for 5 games, maybe they win 3.  Bills play the Bengals for 5 - maybe they win all 5.  But since its a one and done, single poorly executed moments cause a team to go from "Favorites to win the Super Bowl" to "Not a top two team in the league".

I dont mind Simmons saying the Bills were the best team in the NFL - when they are at their best.  Bengals had some luck go their way, and they executed when it mattered during the divisional and conference games.  Does that make them the best team in the AFC?  To me there is room for debate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Simmons was a talented blogger-writer who could churn out 5,000 words worth of humorous takes on sports and pop culture. I didn't read him religiously, but when he was on he was fun to read.

His Grantland was an attempt to bring back longform sports writing for the internet age. A noble project that largely succeeded on a journalistic basis, but wasn't sufficiently profitable on an economic basis.

His Ringer is a dumbed down Grantland. It skewed younger. It skewed more toward the attention-challenged, and more toward pointless things like serious analysis of the deep themes developed in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. (I'll save him some time: we kick around concepts and focus group them based on what will sell the most tickets.) And he's basically given up writing in favor of podcasting. Why write anymore? It takes more time, you have to actually, you know, compose sentences and paragraphs and pay attention to grammar and all of that. And then no one has the patience to read all that anymore. So you just turn on a microphone and shoot the breeze with the latest version of a young Bill Simmons. And you know what? People are willing to pay a crapload of money for doing that, at least for now. 

No Simmons hate from me ... just boredom with his stream of consciousness overgrown frat boy act, and a little tinge of disappointment that he wasn't able to make serious sports writing a thing again. Somewhere Frank Deford sheds a tear ...

And Joe Rogan wakes $'millions do a podcast.  Yes a lot easier then writing.  His Book of Basketball (now 10 years old as said an incredible read and I posted the link as reviewers too for the vast majority agreed).

I thought Grantland was too highbrow at times (just the name showed you had to understand the history of sports journalism to get it).  I watch the MCU, was hooked on GOT and understanding the stories in such detail is great listening. 

Yes he shoots the breeze, includes his friends and for the most part they are knowledgeable and yes I like to skew younger and hear their (Ringer Staff) takes on shows like Yellowjackets, Ozark, Euphoria and others.  To me a 2 hour podcast breaking down movies I love and do watch when on TV is great.

So I'll shill and say I enjoyed articles on the Bills & Josh Allen during the year, as they are national in scope and not local homers.  I have a subscription to the Athletic and yes there are plenty of Bills articles, but they are local in nature, so means less to me (though for most here they carry more weight).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.