Matt “frat” Stafford.

Riverboat Ritchie

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Actually, in video, he can be seen looking shocked for a second, says "oh God", then turns around. That was his reaction. You probably still think it's not a good look, but he didn't immediately just turn around without showing concern. Even if it was only an iota. 

Maybe, but I saw it more as a "Oh *****, I don't want to be involved and let me just look away".

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

I hate to "jump" in here because this conversation seems to be heating up.  My first thought was that his reaction was pretty cold and I think it's hard to argue that it's not.  After reading some comments, I was comtemplating why he might react like that.  I wondered if he's been conditioned to move away from situations (because of his celebrity) where he could somehow be blamed for something going wrong...you know, just distance himself form the whole thing.  

Bar room fight yes... A crowd of unruly people... yes....  But this one was a very strange reaction IMO.....   

If Matt was conditioned for self preservation in this particular situation then it is still sad.... 

Just think of how many people would be singing his praises if his initial reaction was more drop  everything and make sure she was ok.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Magox said:

Maybe, but I saw it more as a "Oh *****, I don't want to be involved and let me just look away".

Yeah that's kinda how it came off to me also. In any case I'm not going to speculate because I don't know what went on after the video stopped. Maybe he came back? Or maybe he went on doing what he was doing. I'd like to think he came back considering his wife was helping.?

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, muppy said:

who Nelly lol talk about a tempest in a teapot. The fact Mr Stafford looked elsewhere after seeing something in what many peoples eyes was a bad fall....virtue signaling we who see things differently are more virtuous? My reply to that is we are clearly less DRUNK than  he was at the time..or if not damn he really DGAF about human beings possibly injuring themselves right there in front of him. To me that is not a judgment on our virtue any more than the propensity to rubber neck a bad freeway accident makes us virtuous or unvirtuous. To not seemingly give a single **** if he was in his right mind is NOT a usual human response virtuous or not. If he'd have laughed I'd have understood that as he taking it as somewhat  slapstick not realizing the potential harm possibly involved. I'd like to hear his reaction today while sober and leave it at That. His reacton really mans squat as far as the woman who fells well being. It was just a Odd reaction on his part for most I think.

His reaction to the situation looks strange at best and cold at worst but I think its silly to read anything more into it.  Had Stafford "rubber necked" and gawked at the injured woman, it would probably be seen as a sign of compassion and I doubt a thread ever starts. Morbid curiosity like gawking could easily be mistaken as empathy.  Similarly, a reflex triggering disgust in that situation could look like a cold response. I've witnessed plenty of people turn away from compound fractures.  

This thread exists purely as a judgement based on a 5 second clip where people assume to know what he was thinking and his level of care.  I find humor in the idea that morality could be defined as taking 2 steps forward instead of 5 steps back and the number of seconds waited before sipping water.  Obviously, that is an absurd way to judge a person's character but that is all the information we have to go on so that is what is truly being debated here.  I find even more humor in this argument since both actions, stare and express concern facially or walk away, are equally meaningless to the outcome.  We could start a whole new chapter of etiquette "How to Properly do Absolutely Nothing in an Emergency Situation".

The "frat" descriptor in the title and some of the reactions make it obvious that some people have a vested personal interest in painting Stafford as a bad guy and that interests me.  Schadenfreude aimed at a person who has no controversial past that I'm aware of is always fascinating.  Some people just like to see the privileged fall, or in this case, walk away from a fall.  Playing devils advocate and parody about virtue signaling and the other stuff is just me having fun with this thread.  

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Magox said:

Lord knows that I have done plenty of things in my past when I have been inebriated that I've been embarrassed about.   Personally, I'm just going to chalk this up to him being hammered and Stafford just having a bad moment.

So exactly what I said in my original post. Welcome aboard.

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Here's my take.  His wife, who has experience as a nurse is right there.  Why would any of you get involved when a professional is right next to you & you have no qualifications to help the person?  Here's another thing, if Stafford, completely unqualified (and possibly drunk) so much as touches her & something goes wrong in the future, she'll sue him for millions.  I've seen stories where someone stops to help out in an accident, moves the victim the wrong way and the good samaritan gets sued.  Now imagine if you're a millionaire like Stafford.  are you going to risk a future lawsuit when there are much more qualified people around to aid & assist the victim?  

He's probably been told before this that if something happens near him and there are more qualified people to assist someone, get as far away as you can & avoid any possible lawsuit.  People like us just don't think about getting sued for being a good samaritan because we have nothing to lose.  A rich and famous person is a lawsuit waiting to happen every day.  

wtf, is this for real??  "get as far away as you can"??  no--no one has needed to say such a ridiculous thing to him.   No one expects him to provide any kind of first aid so I have no idea what you are talking about as far as "a lawsuit waiting to happen".  He can't be sued for jumping down and saying, "hey are you ok?  someone call 911".  He has zero exposure. 

.Also, his wife is not much "more qualified" than a lay person to tend to a fall victim.  She would do what any normal person would do: ask if the person was ok and call for first responders.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

wtf, is this for real??  "get as far away as you can"??  no--no one has needed to say such a ridiculous thing to him.   No one expects him to provide any kind of first aid so I have no idea what you are talking about as far as "a lawsuit waiting to happen".  He can't be sued for jumping down and saying, "hey are you ok?  someone call 911".  He has zero exposure. 

.Also, his wife is not much "more qualified" than a lay person to tend to a fall victim.  She would do what any normal person would do: ask if the person was ok and call for first responders.

His wife is an experienced nurse, of course she is more qualified than most of the other people on the scene.  You obviously don't know that otherwise your statement makes no sense. 

Is your response for real?  Have you never heard of lawsuits against just about anyone with money?  If you have you wouldn't have no idea what I'm talking about.  Go and look up how many times a celebrity has been sued just for being somewhere where something happened.  Go and look up the times a person came upon a scene, tried to help a victim & got sued.   

9 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

His wife is an experienced nurse, of course she is more qualified than most of the other people on the scene.  You obviously don't know that otherwise your statement makes no sense. 

Is your response for real?  Have you never heard of lawsuits against just about anyone with money?  If you have you wouldn't have no idea what I'm talking about.  Go and look up how many times a celebrity has been sued just for being somewhere where something happened.  Go and look up the times a person came upon a scene, tried to help a victim & got sued.   

Yeah that's true, pretty much can sue anyone for anything unfortunately...with that said though, it's really hard for me to see him being sued for simply asking her if she's okay.

I mean he didn't make her fall and in this scenario he would not even lay a finger on her. Just simply hopping down there and ask her if she's hurt or not.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

8 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah that's true, pretty much can sue anyone for anything unfortunately...with that said though, it's really hard for me to see him being sued for simply asking her if she's okay.

I mean he didn't make her fall and in this scenario he would not even lay a finger on her. Just simply hopping down there and ask her if she's hurt or not.

We don't know what he did or said afterwards.  All we've seen is a clip when she 1st fell.  I was just trying to give a reason why a rich celebrity might not want to get physically involved.  Maybe his wife, a health care professional, did go down.  We just don't know.  If he was drunk, he might have been afraid of falling & got away from the edge of the stage to what would be considered a safer place.  Unless we get the whole story, we are just speculating.   The only thing we know for sure is his wife is much more qualified than him to do something after the woman fell.  

I also know that if I'm impaired, for whatever reason, & someone near me falls off the edge of something, I'm getting away from that edge before I become the next one to fall.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

5 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

We don't know what he did or said afterwards.  All we've seen is a clip when she 1st fell.  I was just trying to give a reason why a rich celebrity might not want to get physically involved.  Maybe his wife, a health care professional, did go down.  We just don't know.  If he was drunk, he might have been afraid of falling & got away from the edge of the stage to what would be considered a safer place.  Unless we get the whole story, we are just speculating.   The only thing we know for sure is his wife is much more qualified than him to do something after the woman fell.  

I also know that if I'm impaired, for whatever reason, & someone near me falls off the edge of something, I'm getting away from that edge before I become the next one to fall.  

That's for sure, we don't know nothing at that point, although that's a different cup of worms but I get it and agree. However, I was only talking about in a scenario where "if he did only hop down and ask if she was okay" and nothing more.

Sorry for the confusion...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.