Taiwan Jones on About The Game Pod (Squib related)

essential

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I just rewatched the 13 second nightmare.  Simple routes, simple passes and no defense.

Which is why I don’t buy the “but the defense was gassed!” narrative explaining how the Chiefs got 44 yards in 10 seconds. The Jaguars’ 3rd string QB could’ve made those passes. There were no physical breakdowns, no one got beat due to fatigue. Just a shame that scenario had to happen in the playoffs and not a regular season game. McD is definitely learning some hard lessons.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The way I interpret the rules on a kickoff, if the receiving team fair catches the football, whether it be the 5,10,15 yard line, the ball is placed at the 25 with no time run off the clock. Am I correct in that assumption ?

If the kick is squibbed, a player falling on the ball ends the play with at most 1 second coming off the clock. I'm sure that Coach Andy would've drilled that into the heads of his receiving team. That play didn't cost us the game.

10 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

The way I interpret the rules on a kickoff, if the receiving team fair catches the football, whether it be the 5,10,15 yard line, the ball is placed at the 25 with no time run off the clock. Am I correct in that assumption ?

If the kick is squibbed, a player falling on the ball ends the play with at most 1 second coming off the clock. I'm sure that Coach Andy would've drilled that into the heads of his receiving team. That play didn't cost us the game.

No it is at the spot of the catch.  It is brought to the 25 yard line in College Football.

11 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Which is why I don’t buy the “but the defense was gassed!” narrative explaining how the Chiefs got 44 yards in 10 seconds. The Jaguars’ 3rd string QB could’ve made those passes. There were no physical breakdowns, no one got beat due to fatigue. Just a shame that scenario had to happen in the playoffs and not a regular season game. McD is definitely learning some hard lessons.

While I do believe they were gassed, the defense was so bad, it had nothing to do with Patrick Mahomes driving them 43 yards.  Buffalo gifted them those yards. 

On 2/16/2022 at 12:24 PM, Shaw66 said:

It's not his job.   

It is his job.

On 2/16/2022 at 12:24 PM, Shaw66 said:

McDermott can't be talking to individual players every time a big play is coming up.

Great coaches do this all the time.

Belichick routinely goes up to individual players and position groups in key situations.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It is his job.

Belichick routinely goes up to individual players and position groups in key situations.

Of course at the most crucial juncture it is his responsibility (i.e. The Buck Stops Here).

BTW again never answered, but don't special teams huddle before the kickoff.  Again I just don't it that if the play was called, Bass the most important person didn't know.

On 2/16/2022 at 11:20 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

How does McD not walk over to Bass, grab him by the facemask, and tell him exactly what he wants? There was sooooo much time to get the call right.

This could be a huge reason why the ST coach is gone maybe he reamed him so bad after Heath didn't like to be called out for his blunder !

McD delegates to those who he thinks should know to do their job & being a really good coach wouldn't throw that guy under the bus but claimed it as his fault by saying it starts with him .

Although i get your point 100% i believe McD will get more good coaches to come to B/Lo by falling on the sword rather than casting blame & that will be better for the Bills future ! 

2 hours ago, T master said:

This could be a huge reason why the ST coach is gone maybe he reamed him so bad after Heath didn't like to be called out for his blunder !

McD delegates to those who he thinks should know to do their job & being a really good coach wouldn't throw that guy under the bus but claimed it as his fault by saying it starts with him .

Although i get your point 100% i believe McD will get more good coaches to come to B/Lo by falling on the sword rather than casting blame & that will be better for the Bills future ! 

Again don't excuse McD.  Coaching decisions, begin and end with him.   I always love how his "fans" turn these things into positives.

Yes according to some he is not a micro-manager (though from what I see from McD, I expect that is not the case), but with 13 seconds left in the game, you have to be.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

Honestly, over the last few weeks I have managed to come to grips with how things went down.

It was pretty clear to anyone watching that both QBs were in the zone that game. The proverbial, "the team touching the ball last is going to win", was exactly what happened. Yes, the miscommunication on the kickoff was bad. Yes, the design (or lack thereof) of the defense on those final two plays was a mess. But, the way Mahomes was playing that day, I am not sure that anything would have mattered. If the Chiefs needed a TD there in those final 13 seconds  instead of a FG -- they probably find a way to get it done.

The same was true of Josh. For example, on the series immediately after Hill scored the go-ahead TD with only about a minute to go, on the first play from scrimmage, Josh fired a 28-yard completion to Davis down the middle of the field. Earlier he hit Davis on a 75-yard TD on the first play of that series too.

When this game is safely in the distant past, as much as it hurts, I think we will be able to look back on it with some degree of reverence. Instead of blaming the coaches, kicker, defense, etc. we will be able to credit some of the superlative playing we witnessed and say that this was one of the greatest playoff games in NFL history.

Was flipping through the channels and caught replay of TB game.  Opening kickoff.  Bass pooches to right corner.  TB returner caught it at 8 or 9 yard line and returns to the 24.  Bass did this successfully all year.  I was shocked we couldn't execute this at end of KC game.  This exact kickoff puts KC in terrible dilemma.  KC returner can (1) let it bounce and hope it rolls into the end zone (ball on 25) or out of bounds (ball on 40).  If neither happens, game is probably over. (2) fair catch at the 8 or 9 yard line.  The extra 15 yards make FG that much more difficult.  Of course, you still need to play defense so maybe it goes into overtime in any event. (3) return the ball and break a long return.  Absent a long return, game over except for a long Hail Mary.  Again, who knows but I'd like our chances defending a Hail Mary.

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

It is his job.

Have you never seen McDermott talking to players during the game?  I have.   Of course, coaches talk to their players.   How many times have players made mistakes on important plays when their coach did NOT talk to them before the play?   All the time.   All the time.   

I'll repeat.   There's no way, no way at all, for a coach to know which play is pivotal in a game and to know which player to talk to avoid a mistake.   No way.  

McDermott called a routine play, and he has a coach who's responsible to deliver the play call to the 11 guys who will execute it.  How was McDermott supposed to figure out that Bass might not be getting the message?   I'll repeat:  On the immediately preceding touchdown, Allen to Davis, the absolute most important play of the game to that point, did McDermott call timeout and remind Davis what his route was?   Of course not.  If Davis had run the wrong route, the Bills wouldn't have scored the go-ahead touchdown.   Would you be criticizing McDermott for not reminding Davis?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Have you never seen McDermott talking to players during the game?  I have.   Of course, coaches talk to their players.   How many times have players made mistakes on important plays when their coach did NOT talk to them before the play?   All the time.   All the time.   

I'll repeat.   There's no way, no way at all, for a coach to know which play is pivotal in a game and to know which player to talk to avoid a mistake.   No way.  

McDermott called a routine play, and he has a coach who's responsible to deliver the play call to the 11 guys who will execute it.  How was McDermott supposed to figure out that Bass might not be getting the message?   I'll repeat:  On the immediately preceding touchdown, Allen to Davis, the absolute most important play of the game to that point, did McDermott call timeout and remind Davis what his route was?   Of course not.  If Davis had run the wrong route, the Bills wouldn't have scored the go-ahead touchdown.   Would you be criticizing McDermott for not reminding Davis?

Do you not huddle before the kick?  Did 10 players know the call & Bass did not?  Wouldn't that have come out? 

Shaw I don't care about the other 59:47.  It was a well played & coached game, but there were bad (or wrong) calls throughout the game, like there are every game.

Get the last 13 seconds right (heck just one play) and the Bills win.  The Coaching decisions & calls were screwed up three straight plays.  Mahomes, Kelce and Hill did not make plays, the Bills coaches handed them 43 yards.

Stop defending McD!!!!!  He blew it.  

Edited by Billsfan1972

There was a story a couple of years ago about how McDermott had gotten in Matt Fairburn's face about his reporting on the pregame messages he'd seen posted around the Bills facility and about the Bills practicing a fake punt.  The story was presented in a way that made McDermott look like a jerk.  It did not come from Fairburn as he probably did not want to make it a big deal which would make it even worse.  At the time, I thought that is the way McDermott is.  He is the anti-Rex in that way and that's what I think a team needs from their head coach.  Someone obsessed over details because you can never know which detail will get you beat.  The whole "for want of a nail the kingdom was lost" thinking.  People obsessed with details can come off looking like jerks to the rest of the unobsessed world.

Given that, Sean has to be sick about some of the losses the Bills took this last season starting with the blocked punt vs, the Steelers and ending with the 13 second meltdown.  He has to see it as a stain to his record and the way he sees as his way of leading the team.  I bet he will make some changes to the way he does his business as a result.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.