Taiwan Jones on About The Game Pod (Squib related)

essential

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Could you imagine if the kick was a squib or a pop up and was miraculously returned to the Chief’s side of the field (or worst, a TD)? We all might be saying how dumb it was not to boot it through the EZ and play 13 seconds of defense. I see the argument for both sides and support whichever decision, but it was the 2 defensive play calls that I felt had no defense or counter-argument. Those vex me more than the kick.

If Hill was back there I'd go touchback. But Hardman can be contained or even baited to a return rather than a fair catch.  Forcing them to burn that 4 seconds is paramount.  But there's always that risk.  Sean showed conviction to his philosophy (process) and somehow Farwell and the message was never properly delivered. That's why for 3 1/2 quarters I have no problem with Sean being "process guy" and allowing his assistants to do their job. But when the game comes down to  a critical high leverage moment you need a Pete Carroll or Sean McVay type running down the sidelines. It might undermine your assistants to some degree but it could eliminate communication failures.  Belichick does this all the time. 

On 2/16/2022 at 12:59 PM, Gugny said:

I agree with Dr. D.  That was the single most important play of McDermott's career and the Bills' season.  Goddamn right he should have taken it upon himself - as the LEADER of the team - to ensure everyone was on the same page.

Yes - leaders need to rely on their directs to do their jobs.  But there is a thing called, "trust, but verify," which many leaders employ when something is incredibly important.  And McDermott should have employed it.

This is a failure on multiple parts. But the biggest fault lies at the feet of Sean McDermott.

Absolutely Gugs- especially when the season was in the balance, McD should have made 100% certain that, what he wanted, was being done...👍

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I don't know how many big "learn from my mistakes" coupons he's cashed.   Every team loses games, and at the end of the day a lot of the losses are due to mistakes the coaches made, either during the week or during the game.   And in games decided in the last two minutes, there are mistakes on both sides.   They're all learning, all the time. 

So, although I don't know how many coupons he's cashed (not many, I don't think), he's certainly not at the limit.   He's not losing games left and right with bad judgments on the field.   And his overall record is excellent. 

And, most importantly, he's young.   He's going to be a much, much smarter coach ten years from now.  His expertise will grow a lot.   And he's very self-directed about his growth.  He examines his failures, determines the causes, and puts a program in place to correct them.   That's part of the process, and he's committed to it.  

Reid had growing pains.  Belichick.  McVay has made big mistakes.  McDermott looks very much like a keeper, and until it's certifiable that he can't win big games, the Bills shouldn't let him go.  

I agree with you here.  The wound is still open and the pain is real for me. As a result, I still have some anger issues to get past with Coach McD giving that KC playoff game away. 

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I don't know if I'm right.  I'm just analyzing how you make the decision about the head coach of the Bills.   I think it's a no brainer. 

I often say that it's a mistake to give up on talent too early.   In McD's case, the downside of his staying too long is that he's Schottenheimer.   The upside is that he's Reid, or maybe even Belichick.   

The chances of getting a better head coach than McDermott are slim.   I wouldn't be willing to trade him head up for anyone.   Maybe McVay.  Not sure about the guy in SF.   Belichick and Reid are too old.   What are you gonna do, fire McD and hire Bienemy?   Who'd take that risk.  Are you ready to trade even up for the guy in Cincinnati?  I mean, really, I'm riding McD until he's proved conclusively he's Schottenheimer. 

Would you consider Sean Payton as a replacement? 

Edited by newcam2012

3 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Could you imagine if the kick was a squib or a pop up and was miraculously returned to the Chief’s side of the field (or worst, a TD)? We all might be saying how dumb it was not to boot it through the EZ and play 13 seconds of defense. I see the argument for both sides and support whichever decision, but it was the 2 defensive play calls that I felt had no defense or counter-argument. Those vex me more than the kick.

the Kick is 3rd place in the list of mess ups, but it’s a mess up 

The long return is less likely than a completion but takes more time… so even worst case is fine.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Has Bass been asked about the kickoff?  All throughout the season, he tried different types of KOs.  On arguably the most important KO of the season, I can't believe that he just took it upon himself to boot it out of the endzone without asking/being told.

I think the assumption would have to be he got an initial call, the call changed in the ST huddle and word wasn’t given to him.

not that he whimsically went out with no call and took a guess 

31 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I wouldn't fire him to hire Payton.  If McD quit, I'd be all in favor of Payton.  

This discussion is completely moot. You'd need to give up multiple first round picks to hire Payton - he's still under contract. Plus firing McD is a silly idea anyway.

31 minutes ago, Lothar said:

This discussion is completely moot. You'd need to give up multiple first round picks to hire Payton - he's still under contract. Plus firing McD is a silly idea anyway.

I know it was just a hypothetical. All things even I'd fire Coach McD and hire Payton. I think Payton would bring the fans a super bowl. I'm beginning to question whether McD can close the deal. As someone mentioned, he might be the next Marty S. He certainly choked away the win in KC. He shouldn't get a free pass for that. Next year will tell us more. 

9 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I know it was just a hypothetical. All things even I'd fire Coach McD and hire Payton. I think Payton would bring the fans a super bowl. I'm beginning to question whether McD can close the deal. As someone mentioned, he might be the next Marty S. He certainly choked away the win in KC. He shouldn't get a free pass for that. Next year will tell us more. 

If Buffalo fails to win the division or AFC title game I would consider it.  Payton and Allen would a match made in football heaven.  His recent criticism may be a seed planted.  Could be a Dungy v Gruden type thing.  Would Pegulas make such a bold move to a consistent positive force to the franchise?  Idk.  Another early exit make me have a conversation.

15 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

No I can't....  Expected that comment eventually.  I too explained in a thread after the game that all year there were 4 Kick return TDs (out of almost 1300).  These were all line drive kicks returned 98-100 yards (no 90 yard TD returns, which is what the directional kick would have required).  Longest return Buffalo allowed all year was 31 yards.

Again that wouldn't have been a coaching blunder, it would have been a breakdown on the return team. 

The odds and based on there being only 13 seconds & vs. Mahomes, forcing a return was the correct call.

Then add a complete meltdown on the final two plays (i.e. no defence whatsoever) and simple, easy passes that even a below average NFL QB could have made all falls at the feet of McD. 

Edited by Billsfan1972

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

If Buffalo fails to win the division or AFC title game I would consider it.  Payton and Allen would a match made in football heaven.  His recent criticism may be a seed planted.  Could be a Dungy v Gruden type thing.  Would Pegulas make such a bold move to a consistent positive force to the franchise?  Idk.  Another early exit make me have a conversation.

It's interesting to think about.   I'll say this about Payton - even though he's an offensive genius, I've always liked the way his teams play defense.   His defenses attack more than McDermott's, and that attacking nature puts pressure on the opponent.   His offense and defense complement each other in ways that I've said the Bills don't.

Still, I think McDermott's method, his commitment to process, will make him and his teams better, year after year.  Payton won it all in his second year as a head coach and failed every season thereafter.  One might argue that his Super Bowl was a lot of things coming together just right, and that he was unable to pull it together after that.   (Nobody would make that argument about Belichick.)  McDermott has the potential to be Belichick, and I'm not going to be in a hurry to replace him, at least not until he proves he's Schottenheimer.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

It's interesting to think about.   I'll say this about Payton - even though he's an offensive genius, I've always liked the way his teams play defense.   His defenses attack more than McDermott's, and that attacking nature puts pressure on the opponent.   His offense and defense complement each other in ways that I've said the Bills don't.

Still, I think McDermott's method, his commitment to process, will make him and his teams better, year after year.  Payton won it all in his second year as a head coach and failed every season thereafter.  One might argue that his Super Bowl was a lot of things coming together just right, and that he was unable to pull it together after that.   (Nobody would make that argument about Belichick.)  McDermott has the potential to be Belichick, and I'm not going to be in a hurry to replace him, at least not until he proves he's Schottenheimer.  

Let's not get carried away with the Belicheat comparasion. I do think McD is a very good coach, has the players respect, and they play hard for him. At times, last year he looked less then very good. A few games the team was flat out not ready to play. For example, Pitt, Jags, and the Colts. Additionally, I felt several times he lacked halftime adjustments and got out coached. Previous years, I felt like the Bills halftime adjustments were very very good. Currently, I believe Coach McD gives the Bills the best chance to hoist the Lombardi Trophy. With that said, I have lost a little confidence in him. 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Let's not get carried away with the Belicheat comparasion. I do think McD is a very good coach, has the players respect, and they play hard for him. At times, last year he looked less then very good. A few games the team was flat out not ready to play. For example, Pitt, Jags, and the Colts. Additionally, I felt several times he lacked halftime adjustments and got out coached. Previous years, I felt like the Bills halftime adjustments were very very good. Currently, I believe Coach McD gives the Bills the best chance to hoist the Lombardi Trophy. With that said, I have lost a little confidence in him. 

I didn't say he was Belichick; I said he had the potential.   Careers are long.   Five seasons in, Belichick was 36-44.  McDermott is 49-32.   McDermott is going to get a lot better at his job, as did Belichick.  There's a good chance that 15 years from now, people will be talking about Brady and Bill and Josh and Sean as being the two QB-coach combos that left everyone else in the dust.  

I just rewatched the 13 second nightmare.  Simple routes, simple passes and no defense.

Shaw66, please stop with the Belichek comparisons.  McD is a good to very good coach, but to me the last two years has been more about talent then coaching.

I know it may be unfair but show me a game in 2020 or 2021 where it was all about the coaching that won it.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't say he was Belichick; I said he had the potential.   Careers are long.   Five seasons in, Belichick was 36-44.  McDermott is 49-32.   McDermott is going to get a lot better at his job, as did Belichick.  There's a good chance that 15 years from now, people will be talking about Brady and Bill and Josh and Sean as being the two QB-coach combos that left everyone else in the dust.  

That would be a dream come true. 

I can’t believe this somehow got botched. It likely cost us a trip to the Super Bowl that we had a decent shot at winning 

56 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I just rewatched the 13 second nightmare.  Simple routes, simple passes and no defense.

Shaw66, please stop with the Belichek comparisons.  McD is a good to very good coach, but to me the last two years has been more about talent then coaching.

I know it may be unfair but show me a game in 2020 or 2021 where it was all about the coaching that won it.

I’m never going to watch it again- too painful

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Sadly, I agree. The opening game vs Pitt really told me a lot about the Bills coaching staff. The players were flat, not ready to play, man handled, and unprepared. Coming out the second half of was more of the same. Little halftime adjustments. Same goes for the Jags and the Colts. Finally, I saw halftime adjustments in the Tampa game. The coaches were not good in the first game vs NE. I'd say the coaches lost more games than they won last year. 

Edited by newcam2012

9 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

I can’t believe this somehow got botched. It likely cost us a trip to the Super Bowl that we had a decent shot at winning 

I’m never going to watch it again- too painful

At some point we will probably watch it with disdain. That game was one of the best games the NFL has seen. It will be replayed often for years to come. For me, a super bowl win will ease the pain. 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

At some point we will probably watch it with disdain. That game was one of the best games the NFL has seen. It will be replayed often for years to come. For me, a super bowl win will ease the pain. 

A great 59:47, no need to warch more.  There were mistakes on both sides, but a very cleanly played game.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.