Taiwan Jones on About The Game Pod (Squib related)

essential

Good interview, some real good stuff about Josh and the Chiefs game.  They ask him directly why we didn't squib it (18:10) and he say's he doesn't want to get into it but it was because of "communication issues" which I think confirms it was a called Squib and Bass didn't know.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m really confused as to how Heath has a job. The most important play call of his career….and his kicker doesn’t know the play call.  This whole thing is nuts 

How does McD not walk over to Bass, grab him by the facemask, and tell him exactly what he wants? There was sooooo much time to get the call right.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Dislike 6

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

How does McD not walk over to Bass, grab him by the facemask, and tell him exactly what he wants? There was sooooo much time to get the call right.

It's not his job.   He made the call; it's the special teams coordinator's job to execute.   McDermott can't be talking to individual players every time a big play is coming up.

McDermott's job was to make the call, and presumably he did.  Then his job was to talk to Frazier about what they were going to do on defense.   So, while someone wasn't doing his job, talking to Bass, McDermott was doing his.   It was squarely on Farwell, and it cost him his job. 

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 7
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's not his job.   He made the call; it's the special teams coordinator's job to execute.   McDermott can't be talking to individual players every time a big play is coming up.

McDermott's job was to make the call, and presumably he did.  Then his job was to talk to Frazier about what they were going to do on defense.   So, while someone wasn't doing his job, talking to Bass, McDermott was doing his.   It was squarely on Farwell, and it cost him his job. 

You got that right Shaw.  Heath as ST coordinator should already know that the squib "should" be the call and he as STC needs

to confirm that with McDermott and then make sure the kickoff team knows exactly what to do.

It's Heath's job to make sure that gets done not the other way around!

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m really confused as to how Heath has a job. The most important play call of his career….and his kicker doesn’t know the play call.  This whole thing is nuts 

I'm still wondering why a Kicker doesn't wonder if they might want him to squib it in that scenario.  It's not like the Kicker has to have a lot of plays in his head....

• Sad 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Because he has a ST to do that.  

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He doesn't with the Bills anymore.

Oh nice….Not sure how I didn’t notice that.  Later on Heath.  Have fun in Jacksonville.

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

One mistake should cost him his entire career?

He got fired and had to go to a significantly worse organization. I'd say that's punishment enough for one mistake after a great ST season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Biggest problem was the defensive plan got caught flat-footed. Seems like they were working under the assumption the squib would take time off the clock, so the prevent D would’ve worked in that scenario. It’s like they didn’t have a backup plan for if no time came off the clock and doubled down by calling the same defensive alignment after both timeouts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

And a bit of his reputation as a STC, 

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm still wondering why a Kicker doesn't wonder if they might want him to squib it in that scenario.  It's not like the Kicker has to have a lot of plays in his head....

Yeah, I think most of the blame should fall on the coaches, however Bass seems to often get a free pass.

If he's trotting out on the field not knowing the call, knowing no one told him anything...he could have easily asked. Double checked in and said "Coach, still kicking deep or...?"

Hopefully he has learned a lesson as well.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yeah, I think most of the blame should fall on the coaches, however Bass seems to often get a free pass.

If he's trotting out on the field not knowing the call, knowing no one told him anything...he could have easily asked. Double checked in and said "Coach, still kicking deep or...?"

Hopefully he has learned a lesson as well.

yeah---the most (only?) consequential kickoff of his career and he's over on the sidelines practicing kicking a ball off a tee....

Situational awareness, bro...

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

One mistake should cost him his entire career?

He got fired and had to go to a significantly worse organization. I'd say that's punishment enough for one mistake after a great ST season.

i didn’t realize that he was no longer on the team.  

no, it shouldn’t cost him his career.  It should cost him his job on our team.  Which it did apparently 

44 minutes ago, essential said:

confirms it was a called Squib and Bass didn't know

If true, this has got to one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.  Especially for an organization that is quite good at attention to details, it does not seem possible.  But the ST coach is now gone too which might also be telling.

36 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

32 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree with Dr. D.  That was the single most important play of McDermott's career and the Bills' season.  Goddamn right he should have taken it upon himself - as the LEADER of the team - to ensure everyone was on the same page.

Yes - leaders need to rely on their directs to do their jobs.  But there is a thing called, "trust, but verify," which many leaders employ when something is incredibly important.  And McDermott should have employed it.

This is a failure on multiple parts. But the biggest fault lies at the feet of Sean McDermott.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 5
  • Dislike 3

8 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Biggest problem was the defensive plan got caught flat-footed. Seems like they were working under the assumption the squib would take time off the clock, so the prevent D would’ve worked in that scenario. It’s like they didn’t have a backup plan for if no time came off the clock and doubled down by calling the same defensive alignment after both timeouts.

Well, I don't know if anyone knows what happened, anyone outside the organization.  But what you say sounds plausible.   While Farwell was organizing the kickoff team (or not), McD and Frazier were talking about the defense.  Maybe they were caught flat-footed and didn't react.  Or maybe they DID react, and they just called bad plays for the situation.  

I've never understood how the clock works on kickoffs.    The clock doesn't start when the kicker strikes the ball, and if it's a touchback, it never starts.  If the return man catches the ball in the air on the field of play, the clock starts.  If he catches it in the end zone, I assume it starts only when he runs out of the end zone. 

Does it start when the ball hits the ground in the field of play, so that on a squib quick it starts with the first bounce?   It's a live ball then, so I suppose that's when it would have started.   Unless the Chief's had a Touchdown Throwback or something similar called, I assume what the return man is told to do is cover the ball and fall on the ground immediately, giving himself up to stop the clock.  So, on almost any squib quick you should be able to run at least three seconds off - a couple of bounces, the guy catches it and goes down.   And if you get a good bounce, it could be five or six seconds.   And if the guy misplays it, maybe even more.    

Does someone know if that analysis is correct?   So, a decent squib kick would have run three seconds, and if everything else would have gone exactly the same, the clock would have been at zero by the time Kelce caught the ball, went down and called time out.  Is that right?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.