Peter Schrager: Joe Burrow should now be viewed as the top QB in the AFC

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This reminded me of the wildest take I've seen in a long time:

The sad thing is Peter Schrager just said it to create drama, whereas Dan Orlovsky actually believes this. 

Burrow over Murray is his benchmark? I mean yeah, I'd take the kid that started the Super Bowl over the one who lost his last 5 games and limped into the playoffs

Hot take Dan

On 2/16/2022 at 5:59 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

It's all subjective, and a case can certainly be made.

Mahomes and Allen

Burrow and Herbert

It's a fun discussion, and I'm thrilled our guy is part of the short list. No more Manning/Brady boring crap.

How exactly can a case be made that Burrow is the best QB in the AFC?  I don't even think that's a reasonable argument in any way.

Mahomes and Allen are really the only 2 QBs you can make an argument for with Herbert a bit behind them. 

I'm SO glad the Bengals didn't win the Super Bowl!!!  This "Is Joe Burrow the best QB in the NFL" narrative would have been so annoying.  Dude had a defense that played lights out in the playoffs and one of the NFL's best RBs while he throws 5 TDs, 2 INTs and is sacked 19 times.

Ridiculous.

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This reminded me of the wildest take I've seen in a long time:

The sad thing is Peter Schrager just said it to create drama, whereas Dan Orlovsky actually believes this. 

Who cares?  It's Dan Orlovsky.  His career wasn't even as good as Josh's 2nd season.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

How exactly can a case be made that Burrow is the best QB in the AFC?  I don't even think that's a reasonable argument in any way.

Mahomes and Allen are really the only 2 QBs you can make an argument for with Herbert a bit behind them. 

I'm SO glad the Bengals didn't win the Super Bowl!!!  This "Is Joe Burrow the best QB in the NFL" narrative would have been so annoying.  Dude had a defense that played lights out in the playoffs and one of the NFL's best RBs while he throws 5 TDs, 2 INTs and is sacked 19 times.

Ridiculous.

The Bengals won in the playoffs with-

-The "Raider Whistle" controversy

-Tannehill meltdown

-Mahomes Meltdown

-Rookie Kicker that went BONKERS in post season (Maybe a better question...is he the best kicker in the NFL?)

-When in doubt (which was often) throw the ball to Chase.

Sorry, I'm not convinced that is a sustainable way to win. The Bengals caught a lot of teams off guard this year and will not get that same luxury next year. They will be the hunted and get every teams hardest shot. Burrow is right in that window where teams start to adjust. Let's see how he does then before we crown him.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The Bengals won in the playoffs with-

-The "Raider Whistle" controversy

-Tannehill meltdown

-Mahomes Meltdown

-Rookie Kicker that went BONKERS in post season (Maybe a better question...is he the best kicker in the NFL?)

-When in doubt (which was often) throw the ball to Chase.

Sorry, I'm not convinced that is a sustainable way to win. The Bengals caught a lot of teams off guard this year and will not get that same luxury next year. They will be the hunted and get every teams hardest shot. Burrow is right in that window where teams start to adjust. Let's see how he does then before we crown him.

The AFC North will have its down year.. Steelers without a starting QB....Lamar is injury prone...Baker is Baker.....I can definitely see the Bengals win their division next year thanks to their franchise QB

Such horse crap. I usually love the GMFB crew, but that’s ridiculous. I can’t stand when they say things like “He (Burrow) beat Mahomes 2 times.”

No he didn’t. His team did. 

The same way they say “Allen lost to Mahomes in the divisional game.”  No he didn’t. Allen’s defense crapped the bed and Allen never got the ball back. But if the D holds out for 13 seconds, is Allen a better QB than Mahomes??

Garbage. 

Nothing against Burrow (or Stafford for that matter), but the super bowl reminded me how much of a dual threat and freak athlete Josh is. He’s a guy you truly have to fear and game plan for.  I hope Allen and Bills own the league next year… step on throats and put the last of the doubters to shame. 

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The AFC North will have its down year.. Steelers without a starting QB....Lamar is injury prone...Baker is Baker.....I can definitely see the Bengals win their division next year thanks to their franchise QB

I give it a solid "maybe". Let's see how the Ravens fare with healthy players, a 3rd place schedule and some possible improvements.

Browns...they need help on offense but they have won with Baker before. A healthy Mayfield is an upgrade. Good defense and great o-line.

Considering the level of play off Ben at times last year...a guy like Trubisky could be a plus as well. 

I think that while division is a lot closer than anyone believes. 

9 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Hot take: Joe burrow is a more talented version of baker Mayfield and will have a similar hype train this off season, he will also not come close to living up to those expectations

I wish that were the case but Burrow is the superior player in almost every single category compared to Baker (pocket awareness, reading the field, poise, accuracy, leadership skills, mechanics, anticipation, height).  The only major problem I see with him is he'll hold the ball too long. 

I put him below Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert as he doesn't have the arm strength or athleticism they have.  However, he's definitely a top tier quarterback who will only get better assuming they improve their o-line.

12 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Hot take: Joe burrow is a more talented version of baker Mayfield and will have a similar hype train this off season, he will also not come close to living up to those expectations

If the Bengals don't fix their OL he will be Andrew Luck part 2.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I could see that. The Bengals big play offense is dependent on chase. Without an O line, they could really struggle.

They had no business being in that Tenn game. If Tannehil doesnt completely suck, they win easily 

15 hours ago, ganesh said:

I could also see them finishing out of the playoffs.  Steelers are legit never bad.  The Ravens probably won't lose 3 RBs, LT, CB1 and CB2, DE, WR1/2/3 all missed time, TE2 missed half the year, Rest of oline was a mash unit, and then jackson missed time.  They're a playoff team when they're healthy.  And the Browns have a better defense than the bengals, and if baker can play better without being hurt they're right back in it.  

I got them at like 8-9 or 9-8.  I put them at 3-3 in division and 2-2 vs the AFCE.  The NFC south will be weaker without brady so they probably get 3 wins there- but they get KC, Tenn, and Dallas as 1st place opponents in 2022.  They beat 2 of them in the playoffs but I can't put them as a big favorite in any of those 3 games.  

Burrow has two first round picks to throw to. Chase is probably one of the best receivers in the game. Give him some average receivers and lets see if he is considered a top QB. Mahomes and Allen are best followed by Herbert and then there is a drop off.  

Edited by Mopreme

3 hours ago, Mopreme said:

Burrow has two first round picks to throw to. Chase is probably one of the best receivers in the game. Give him some average receivers and lets see if he is considered a top QB. Mahomes and Allen are best followed by Herbert and then there is a drop off.  

Are you saying Diggs is average???

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.