Peter Schrager: Joe Burrow should now be viewed as the top QB in the AFC

YoloinOhio

42 minutes ago, Process said:

Looking at Kay's twitter... She's lucky she's pretty

Back in November she said Mac Jones was the best QB in the conference. When she said Burrow over Allen today, i immediately went back to that moment and then just chuckled.... it doesnt warrant any other reaction really.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Come on.  Burrow and Herbert are on another level from Derek Carr.  They are clearly on tier 2, just behind Allen.  

Dak I agree with.  He's got a cupboard full of toys to play with.  He should be dominant.  He's a tier 3 dude with Carr, Tannehill, Kyler Murray etc.

Here's how I see them:

Tier 1A:  Mahomes and Rodgers

Tier 1B: Josh Allen

Tier 2A: Herbert and Burrow

Tier 2B: Stafford and Jackson

Russell Wilson???

Tier 3: Tanny, Murray, Dak, Carr, Cousins

Tier 4: Matt Ryan, Mac Jones

Tier 5: Lawrence, Hurts

Tier 6: journeyman scrubs like Heinicke, Wentz, and raw 1st rounders like Fields and Lance

I mostly agree but would simplify with each tier having no particular order 

1. Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen

2. Herbert, Burrow, Wilson, Jackson

3. Dak, Murray, Watson

4. Carr, Ryan, Murray, Tannehill. Mayfield

5. Cousins, Jones, Garapaolo

6. Too soon to tell - Fields, Lawrence, Wilson, etc

7. Scrubs

• Like (+1) 1

None of these QBs play defense, so if you want to evaluate QBs as QBs, you have to look at what THEY do and not what their team does.  Both Mahomes and Allen can make great, innovative, dynamic plays on a regular basis.  They have both learned to make good decisions.  Both can dissect a defense.  Burrow and Herbert are great passers but I haven't seen the rest of the skill set from them yet.

37 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

3. Dak, Murray, Watson

7. Scrubs

Good ranking.  I can't argue with any of these placements.

Edited by Utah John

52 minutes ago, RunninRebel37 said:

1. Mahomes (till Allen gets that ring) 

2. Allen 

3. Watson ( forgotten man -for understandable reasons) 

4. Burrow

5. Jackson/Herbert (take a pick) 

6. Jackson 

Imo, Burrow and Herbert should be swapped in your list

45 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

3. Dak, Murray, Watson

7. Scrubs

I was a Rodgers fan until this year's playoffs - the second post season where he came up small . All the stats in the world and all the drama but just one ring to show for it. (yea yea I know it's one more than a Bills QB has but for all the accolades he gets and all the gaudy in-season stats, the dude hasn't been able to get to the SB after that one)

49 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

3. Dak, Murray, Watson

7. Scrubs

Good list.  My only nitpick would be the placement of Cousins.  He's quietly played good football only to be let down by Zimmer's defense.   He's not great, but he is above Ryan and Mayfield in my book.  

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

Bills fans will say Allen. Chiefs fans will say Mahomes. Bengals fans will say Burrow. The 4 Chargers fans will say Herbert. These 4 are the top QB's in the AFC. I would say Mahomes and Allen are the top 2 and you can rank them anyway you want. These 4 will probably dominate the AFC for the next few seasons.

Mahomes & Allen are 1a/1b. If the braindead coaches didn't butcher that last 13 seconds,  Allen would have beaten KC twice. Burrow got some breaks in the playoffs and help from his defense. All I know is Cincy will now have to navigate a top strength of schedule. And there's a daunting list of quality QBs in the AFC.  Maybe a bunch of joe cool commercials and bling goes to his head?

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

It's just a talking point.  Show fodder. And then i see Greg Cosell on Cowherd's show say he didn't think Burrow played great football in the SB or the AFC Championship game.  His protection sucked in the SB.

Still makes me ill that Allen played outstanding and we lost because of the overrated #1 D.  

The thing about Greg Cosell is, if he says that he will actually has some basis for it, he's watched the film; he would be able to defend that opinion play by play breaking it down.  Schrager and the GMFB crew, OTOH, are just entertainers.

I'm not a fan of Cowherd but now I'll have to go find it and see what he says.

This it?

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

3. Dak, Murray, Watson

7. Scrubs

That's actually a pretty accurate tier ranking. I might switch Lamar and Watson but good list.

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Good list.  My only nitpick would be the placement of Cousins.  He's quietly played good football only to be let down by Zimmer's defense.   He's not great, but he is above Ryan and Mayfield in my book.  

Good take. I can see what you are saying. Mayfield battled same shoulder issue that Allen had for a few games last year.  Mayfield's was most of the year though. I think both Ryan and Mayfield's ceilings are higher than Cousins but their floors are probably lower than Cousins. So I can see how you would rank Cousins ahead.

55 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Imo, Burrow and Herbert should be swapped in your list

I was a Rodgers fan until this year's playoffs - the second post season where he came up small . All the stats in the world and all the drama but just one ring to show for it. (yea yea I know it's one more than a Bills QB has but for all the accolades he gets and all the gaudy in-season stats, the dude hasn't been able to get to the SB after that one)

I understand what you are saying.  Rodgers playoff losses are hard to explain.  Some terrie coaching cost him some wins too. Does that sound eerily familiar.  Marino only made one, Manning only made one with the Colts and won his second trophy as the worst player on the Denver offense. Rivers never made the SB. Romo never did. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Greg S said:

Bills fans will say Allen. Chiefs fans will say Mahomes. Bengals fans will say Burrow. The 4 Chargers fans will say Herbert. These 4 are the top QB's in the AFC. I would say Mahomes and Allen are the top 2 and you can rank them anyway you want. These 4 will probably dominate the AFC for the next few seasons.

And Miami fans say “....er....I wish Flores would have taken the money.”

Burrow was drafted #1 in the 2020 draft, so that pretty much means the Bengals were trash in 2020.  He didn't even get a full season in before missing the rest with a knee injury. Burrow won the AFC in his 2nd year. Burrow, their HC and their GM have done a helluva job, I've got nothing but props for them.

Mahomes has won the AFC twice and the Super Bowl once, no way do I put Burrow above him.

Josh Allen would be my pick to be Quarterback over any QB in the league.

3 things are for certain on GMF:

Schrager will always go with whosever hot at the moment as being the best coach, QB and/or team.

Kyle will be so hyped off of sugar booger and/or caffeine that he’ll do something cringe worthy and have you reaching for your remote.

Kay will always “yea but” when it comes to Allen and the Bills…..she will give the Ravens, Patriots, Mac Jones or L. Jackson the benefit of the doubt before Allen and/or the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

3 things are for certain on GMF:

Schrager will always go with whosever hot at the moment as being the best coach, QB and/or team.

Kyle will be so hyped off of sugar booger and/or caffeine that he’ll do something cringe worthy and have you reaching for your remote.

Kay will always “yea but” when it comes to Allen and the Bills…..she will give the Ravens, Patriots, Mac Jones or L. Jackson the benefit of the doubt before Allen and/or the Bills.

the other stuff is hit or miss but you NAILED the bolded. She seemed to actively go out of her way to criticize buffalo allllll season. It was odd.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.