Derek Carr in line for $40 million per year extension

Inigo Montoya

2 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

So hypothetically....the Bills should be ok with Tyrod for the rest of his career because it keeps the league competitive and makes them money.

Sorry man, i just dont agree with keeping a mid tier QB around. 

How many years did Dalton throw away for the Bengals? Tannehill? These arent superbowl winning QBs. These teams needed to move on from them years before they did.

Carr is way, way better than Tyrod. It isn't even close. He is a tier above Dalton too. Carr is a borderline top 10 guy. I have him 10th or 11th in the league. 

32 minutes ago, wjag said:

The salary price escalation in pro sports is insane.  

Meh. It is more than salary, and they are more than employees. They are the product. 

Sometimes I think that guys get paid too much to throw, catch, tackle, not get tackled etc. Which I guess is true to an extent. But then I remember I am wrong and it is overly simplistic. They aren't the same as the people who build the Lenovo I am typing on. They are the ThinkPad. 

In terms of total revenue to the NFL I would get behind the players asking for an even bigger piece of the pie and a bigger salary cap. That said, I could also be convinced to also have max contracts in that world, and use the increased salary cap on larger rosters, higher vet minimums, and health care/pensions for anybody who played in the NFL. 

32 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Thank God we have Josh Allen.  When you have Allen, Mahones, Rogers, Burrow or Herbert, you pay them, plain and simple.  When you have Mayfield, you don't.  It's the tweeners that drive you crazy - Prescott, Carr.  Can't live with them, can't live without them.  Thank goodness we're not in that boat.

I’m not putting Burrow or Hurbert in the group yet… I just watched Allen match Burrow’s 5 Playoff TDs in 4 games… Allen did it in one… not sure what people are seeing in Burrow other than he was supposed to be great at #1 overall

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He re-set the market at $25m 5 years ago. Slotting him in as the 4th or 5th spot in the current market now is not as outrageous as the big number sounds given that the market is broken.

He had a lot more upside 5 years ago

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Carr is way, way better than Tyrod. It isn't even close. He is a tier above Dalton too. Carr is a borderline top 10 guy. I have him 10th or 11th in the league. 

I think hes in the same Tier as Dalton when Dalton was at his best. A little better than average.

Daltons better years were just as good as Carr's. I think its safe to say we are about as near as Carr's ceiling as we are gonna get.

QB 11 doesnt cut it with that roster. If you pay him 40 million he wont get the team he needs around him.

• Disagree 1

FilthyBeast has to be sick to his stomach that Carr is about to make $40M/year considering he feels that Josh’s contract was a bad contract. 

This exercise very clearly proves that Josh getting $43M/year was a steal.

Although anyone with a brain knew lesser QBs were going to get inflated deals.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

The Ravens are probably sick to their stomach seeing this. If Carr can get a 40 million per extension then I can only imagine what they will have to pay LJ.

He's going to get the Dak and Cousins treatment for at least a year I think. I don't see an extension this off-season. If he has a year closer to his MVP performance again and more importantly can stay healthy I could see them giving him whatever he wants after next season. Otherwise they will probably franchise him.

1 hour ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

Josh will get another at bat...

Yeah. I really wish we signed him to a 10 year deal. His second contract is going to be massive.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I think hes in the same Tier as Dalton when Dalton was at his best. A little better than average.

Daltons better years were just as good as Carr's. I think its safe to say we are about as near as Carr's ceiling as we are gonna get.

QB 11 doesnt cut it with that roster. If you pay him 40 million he wont get the team he needs around him.

Yea if all you are doing is numbers scouting. Andy Dalton was throwing to AJ Green, Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu. Who are the best receivers Carr has thrown to? 

As for building a team around him, yea the first couple of years of a new contract for a 2nd tier guy like Carr it becomes tricky. But by year 3 with the QB inflation he will be good value against an ever increasing cap. 

I live a mile or so down the road from where both Carr's played high school football. Good for Derek. He's a stand up guy too. That said I am not 100% certain what happens with his future. If Indy is really looking for a new QB maybe Carr would be a good fit. Not sure they can financially make a trad and deal work though. Carr does seem like a McDaniels kind of QB I think.

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/10958/derek-carr

Josh's six year extension is looking better everyday.   We really got lucky with the timing of Josh's contract and the state of the salary cap.  He'd be worth $50+ if his contract was extended next year.

Really tough spot for the Raiders. Carr is good enough that you can't let him go, but NOT worth that money.

Same can be said for the extensions Mayfield and Jackson will likely get.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea if all you are doing is numbers scouting. Andy Dalton was throwing to AJ Green, Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu. Who are the best receivers Carr has thrown to? 

As for building a team around him, yea the first couple of years of a new contract for a 2nd tier guy like Carr it becomes tricky. But by year 3 with the QB inflation he will be good value against an ever increasing cap. 

Lets just say...they pay Carr 40 million bucks...

They need to add some real talent to make this team competitive.

The best move for the franchise would be to say...sign Davante Adams. Which will end up being another 30 million plus.

70 million in the hole and thats the best move they can make for the team to maybe actually win a playoff game.

Does Carr and Adams make them a real contender at a combined 80mil a year? Thats what 40% of their salary cap?

Maybe they try and make a run for one year and go all in. They have to copy the rams strategy or else they wont win with Carr. Simple as that my friend. 

2 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Lets just say...they pay Carr 40 million bucks...

They need to add some real talent to make this team competitive.

The best move for the franchise would be to say...sign Davante Adams. Which will end up being another 30 million plus.

70 million in the hole and thats the best move they can make for the team to maybe actually win a playoff game.

Does Carr and Adams make them a real contender at a combined 80mil a year? Thats what 40% of their salary cap?

Maybe they try and make a run for one year and go all in. They have to copy the rams strategy or else they wont win with Carr. Simple as that my friend. 

I don't disagree with the bolded, at all. I disagree with the idea that it is that or rebuild. If they pay Carr $40m AAV then the first couple of years it is hard to put the team around him of sufficient strength. You win with these guys towards the end of their contracts. Stafford is in the penultimate year or his deal. Carr took the Raiders to the playoffs in the penultimate year of his deal. But the idea that it is better to just try and lose.... I mean eventually you have to be trying to win and Carr is a guy who it easy to try and move on from and end up in a worse spot. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't disagree with the bolded, at all. I disagree with the idea that it is that or rebuild. If they pay Carr $40m AAV then the first couple of years it is hard to put the team around him of sufficient strength. You win with these guys towards the end of their contracts. Stafford is in the penultimate year or his deal. Carr took the Raiders to the playoffs in the penultimate year of his deal. But the idea that it is better to just try and lose.... I mean eventually you have to be trying to win and Carr is a guy who it easy to try and move on from and end up in a worse spot. 

Well see how the Raiders approach it.

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/10958/derek-carr

Josh's six year extension is looking better everyday.   We really got lucky with the timing of Josh's contract and the state of the salary cap.  He'd be worth $50+ if his contract was extended next year.

or the year after or the year after that. Most contracts will increase every year. NFL about to sign more TV deals...Sunday ticket up for bid...of course Allen's deal will look better than ones signed in future years

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The market is bonkers. I agree with that. It doesn't distinguish enough between elite and good. But the difference between good and not good is so stark that I don't think dumping good because you want great is wise. 

It really, really isn't. Do people foget what 17 years of suck felt like?

I think there’s a pretty successful book out that talks about good being the enemy of great. Not sure what it’s titled though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.