Derek Carr in line for $40 million per year extension

Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Carr much better than other two imo.  

Put Carr on a good team and he will eat.  

He's on a relatively good team now.  He has an elite tight end, a very good running back and Renfrow is one of the best slot guys in the league.

Derek Carr is what he is at this point, which is a slightly above average QB.  I don’t see him ever leading a team to the Super Bowl, but stranger things have happened.

This is one of those nightmarish scenarios where the QB is just good enough to keep a franchise from looking to upgrade when they absolutely should be.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Dislike 1

58 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Carr much better than other two imo.  

Put Carr on a good team and he will eat.  

Carr is a strange dude.  He can have games where he looks all-world and games where he looks pedestrian.  I think it's possible he could shine under the right coach and system.

It'll be interesting to see how much Josh McDaniel learned from his HC gig with the Broncos.  He's the one that shipped Cutler to Chicago after a pro-bowl season where he passed for 4500 yds, in favor of Kyle Orton then drafting Tim Tebow

And, as OC of the Lambs, he turned a QB who looked serviceable as a rookie under Pat Shurmur as OC, into an indecisive fright.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Better to set the market price now then pay market price later.  

Tre white was the same way - got it done before Humphrey and Ramsey.  Closer in AAV to Byron Jones and Darius Slay FA contracts.  If you waited there you might have a contract closer to Humphreys.  Not a crazy amount of cap space - 2.3M in AAV.  But over 4 years we're talking like 10M dollars.  

The Dawkins deal was a great move as well.  14.5 M for 4 years signed in 2020 (keeping him through 2025).  Brian O'neill 1 year later got 18.5, and that's largely due to the new ceiling set by Williams and Bakhtiari (to a lesser extent Tunsil because O'briens gonna O'brien). 

• Agree 2

Just now, Greg S said:

I am not so sure the Ravens want to start over at QB though. They probably think they can challenge the Bengals for the North. I think the decision to pay LJ is a tough one. If I am the Browns I don't pay Mayfield. Unless they draft someone I could see the Steelers trying to get Jimmy G from the 49ers. Lance is the future there anyway. I am sure Pitt will kick the tires on Wilson/Rodgers but if that doesn't happen I could see Jimmy G as a realistic option.

I'm hearing more & more reports that the 49's aren't convinced that Lance is the guy and they may not let Jimmy G go.  It's one thing to speculate on how good your shiny new toy is when Jimmy G throws an INT in a playoff game. It's quite another to walk away from the solid QB that helped get you to the NFC championship game for a 2nd year guy that hasn't exactly impressed.  The 49's are in a real bind IMO.

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm hearing more & more reports that the 49's aren't convinced that Lance is the guy and they may not let Jimmy G go.  It's one thing to speculate on how good your shiny new toy is when Jimmy G throws an INT in a playoff game. It's quite another to walk away from the solid QB that helped get you to the NFC championship game for a 2nd year guy that hasn't exactly impressed.  The 49's are in a real bind IMO.

I'd be stunned if Jimmy is a 49er next year. He will be a starting QB. No question. But I strongly suspect it isn't in San Fran.

• Agree 2

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

They traded so much to get that guy.  I didn't even realize he barely played in 2020 either.  So he was sort of in a rousseau situation, at QB though.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

But the market keeps going up. So yes for the first 2 years of the deal it makes building a really good team around him hard. Then after that the cap has gone up enough to give you leeway. It is no coincidence that the Raiders make the playoffs again at the backend of his last contract. Because he was a bargain this year and will be next year if he plays on yhe old deal. 

You pay Derek Carr. All day. Every day. 

There are certainly some teams that I could see him being worth paying that much to. The Raiders just aren't one of them. 

Due to the rather...odd choices of draft picks by Gruden and Mayock (and the poor choices some of those picks made off the field) it's left then with not much talent, not many solid players on rookie deals that can help absorb that amount for just "good" QB play. They just have too much to make up for where paying Carr that much is tough to justify.

Now, would he be worth that much to a team like the Colts? Absolutely. They are really just a good QB from deep playoff runs IMO.

In my opinion, the best value for Carr to the Raiders would be the draft picks he could yeild in return. However, McDaniels seems to like him so he'll get paid for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd be stunned if Jimmy is a 49er next year. He will be a starting QB. No question. But I strongly suspect it isn't in San Fran.

I don't disagree but on Cowherd the other day two different "experts" noted the bind the 49's are in.  Evidently Lance did not impress in games or in practice this season. Maybe he's just a Mahomes waiting to be unleashed.  But it wouldn't shock me if the 49's traded Lance. There are some desperate teams out there looking for their guy at QB.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

There are certainly some teams that I could see him being worth paying that much to. The Raiders just aren't one of them. 

Due to the rather...odd choices of draft picks by Gruden and Mayock (and the poor choices some of those picks made off the field) it's left then with not much talent, not many solid players on rookie deals that can help absorb that amount for just "good" QB play. They just have too much to make up for where paying Carr that much is tough to justify.

Now, would he be worth that much to a team like the Colts? Absolutely. They are really just a good QB from deep playoff runs IMO.

In my opinion, the best value for Carr to the Raiders would be the draft picks he could yeild in return. However, McDaniels seems to like him so he'll get paid for sure.

If Carr was 35 I would agree. But Carr has at least 6 or 7 years of good play left in him. That is enough time for Vegas to still rebuild around him. 

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I don't disagree but on Cowherd the other day two different "experts" noted the bind the 49's are in.  Evidently Lance did not impress in games or in practice this season. Maybe he's just a Mahomes waiting to be unleashed.  But it wouldn't shock me if the 49's traded Lance. There are some desperate teams out there looking for their guy at QB.

They knew Lance was raw when they drafted him. I think the 9ers would have been in more of a bind had they missed the playoffs this year. Cos then Kyle would be one playoff run in 5 years and potentially in a position where 2022 is a hotseat year. The run this year buys them time IMO. If they go 6-11 with Lance next year Kyle still gets 2023 now. 

• Agree 1

Just now, uticaclub said:

"The sense is that no proposals have been exchanged yet on an extension,"

no one is paying Derek Carr $40M/year

He re-set the market at $25m 5 years ago. Slotting him in as the 4th or 5th spot in the current market now is not as outrageous as the big number sounds given that the market is broken.

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The teams are all part owners of the league. The league being watchable absolutley matters. 

So hypothetically....the Bills should be ok with Tyrod for the rest of his career because it keeps the league competitive and makes them money.

Sorry man, i just dont agree with keeping a mid tier QB around. 

How many years did Dalton throw away for the Bengals? Tannehill? These arent superbowl winning QBs. These teams needed to move on from them years before they did.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.