Derek Carr in line for $40 million per year extension

Inigo Montoya

6 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

lose...gamble on a top 5 pick qb.

Hes not a superbowl winning quarterback.

You think the raiders can pull off the rams strategy and swinging for the fences?

People said the same about Stafford. Put Carr on the Rams and they still win it.

However if you need to surround a QB with a "Dream Team" to win the Super Bowl then that QB isn't likely a $40M/year top tier guy IMO. But with the way QBs get paid he'll get $38M-$40M a season without a problem. 

4 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Plywood is $80 per sheet

Carr is more like cheap pressboard. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

lose...gamble on a top 5 pick qb.

Hes not a superbowl winning quarterback.

You think the raiders can pull off the rams strategy and swinging for the fences?

I agree he probably isn't a Superbowl Quarterback. But the reality is top 12 - Derek Carr level - Quarterback play is not easy. You could spin the wheel and end up worse. 

I think this "you have a top 5 guy or should just throw everything in the bin and spin the wheel" approach is utter nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree he probably isn't a Superbowl Quarterback. But the reality is top 12 - Derek Carr level - Quarterback play is not easy. You could spin the wheel and end up worse. 

I think this "you have a top 5 guy or should just throw everything in the bin and spin the wheel" approach is utter nonsense. 

I think its better than being in wildcard limbo for the next 10 years.

• Disagree 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

People said the same about Stafford. Put Carr on the Rams and they still win it.

However if you need to surround a QB with a "Dream Team" to win the Super Bowl then that QB isn't likely a $40M/year top tier guy IMO. But with the way QBs get paid he'll get $38M-$40M a season without a problem. 

The market is bonkers. I agree with that. It doesn't distinguish enough between elite and good. But the difference between good and not good is so stark that I don't think dumping good because you want great is wise. 

Just now, Ramza86 said:

I think its better than being in wildcard limbo for the next 10 years.

It really, really isn't. Do people foget what 17 years of suck felt like?

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The market is bonkers. I agree with that. It doesn't distinguish enough between elite and good. But the difference between good and not good is so stark that I don't think dumping good because you want great is wise. 

how many of those years did we end up with a top 5 pick? 3?

If you can be horrible and get a top 3 pick 2-3 years in a row...you can turn it around a lot quicker.

5 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

how many of those years did we end up with a top 5 pick? 3?

If you can be horrible and get a top 3 pick 2-3 years in a row...you can turn it around a lot quicker.

But what if you don't? What if you draft a bust? Or draft a game manager guy who is less than Carr... like say a Baker or a Garoppolo? It seems to me that your argument is you are either a top 5 or 6 Superbowl team or you should try to lose.

The league would be utterly unwatchable if that was the case.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

That or trade him to a QB desperate team like Washington or Detroit. 

What do the Ravens do at QB? LJ has had some really good seasons with them so its a tough call. I think its a tougher call then the Browns have. I wouldn't pay Mayfield. For a #1 pick he has mostly been a disappointment. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. However, Carr is in that catagory where he is just good enough that he will have you drafting middle of 1st round every year. If you could get away with paying him $25-30M a year and surround him with talent you can make the playoffs. Maybe go on a run.

However when you pay the good like the great there isn't enough left over to to build a team that can be good consistently.

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

What do the Ravens do at QB? LJ has had some really good seasons with them so its a tough call. I think its a tougher call then the Browns have. I wouldn't pay Mayfield. For a #1 pick he has mostly been a disappointment. 

That backup QB they used when Lamar got hurt did pretty well passing the ball or they draft someone. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

But what if you don't? What if you draft a bust? Or a game manager guy who is less than Carr... say Baker or Garoppolo? It seems to me that your argument is you are either a top 5 or 6 Superbowl team or you should try to lose.

The league would be utterly unwatchable if that was the case.

For an NFL team being watchable doesnt mean jack. Winning a superbowl is the goal.

There are two ways to win a superbowl nowadays. Get an elite qb or get an elite team. Most likely having both wins it.

Raiders have neither and will not even be a contender with carr unless they build a great team around him. 40 million for a guy who isnt the main piece of a superbowl team is not worth it.

• Disagree 1

If surrounded by a good football team, you can go deep in the playoffs with David Carr.   He's easily worth $35 M - $40M a year based off of some of the recent contracts.

With that said, Josh Allen's contract was an outright steal for the Bills organization.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree. However, Carr is in that catagory where he is just good enough that he will have you drafting middle of 1st round every year. If you could get away with paying him $25-30M a year and surround him with talent you can make the playoffs. Maybe go on a run.

However when you pay the good like the great there isn't enough left over to to build a team that can be good consistently.

But the market keeps going up. So yes for the first 2 years of the deal it makes building a really good team around him hard. Then after that the cap has gone up enough to give you leeway. It is no coincidence that the Raiders make the playoffs again at the backend of his last contract. Because he was a bargain this year and will be next year if he plays on yhe old deal. 

You pay Derek Carr. All day. Every day. 

Just now, The Jokeman said:

That backup QB they used when Lamar got hurt did pretty well passing the ball or they draft someone. 

I am not so sure the Ravens want to start over at QB though. They probably think they can challenge the Bengals for the North. I think the decision to pay LJ is a tough one. If I am the Browns I don't pay Mayfield. Unless they draft someone I could see the Steelers trying to get Jimmy G from the 49ers. Lance is the future there anyway. I am sure Pitt will kick the tires on Wilson/Rodgers but if that doesn't happen I could see Jimmy G as a realistic option.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.