Should some of the gambling revenues help build/renovate stadiums and arenas?

Albany,n.y.

The state took in over $70 million the 1st 30 days of mobile sports betting.  Since without the sports leagues there are no games to bet on, should the state be taking some of the gambling revenues to help build the Bills new stadium and also support future stadium and arena renovations and upgrades to the state's major league sports teams.

One of the biggest complaints from the non sports fans is they don't want their tax dollars spent on stadiums they'll never go to.  The money from gambling comes almost exclusively from the fans most interested in the teams, blunting the non sports fans argument.

I say use some of the gambling profits to build our new stadium.  Yes, I'm aware this would require some political maneuvering.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yep.

The timing is absolutely perfect to demand the state cough up those brand new ill-gotten gains to fund a stadium.

And do it before the cost of dealing with all the addicted gamblers in-state becomes more obvious.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Taxpayers are so naïve.

Like donating money to my university, they try to encourage you to donate to the football team or the drama or whatever.  This is another example.

People dont realize that all the money is fungible, especially taxes.  Sure NYS can target the funds "to the stadium", but in reality, it is meaningless.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

17 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

This has nothing to do with where the state will come up with the money they have to kick in for a new stadium.  

26 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

This has nothing to do with where the state will come up with the money they have to kick in for a new stadium.  

Ya know what your correct but too late now, those funds would have had to be put in a restricted fund and that didn't happen.

I wonder how many posters here actually live in NYS

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Taxpayers are so naïve.

Like donating money to my university, they try to encourage you to donate to the football team or the drama or whatever.  This is another example.

People dont realize that all the money is fungible, especially taxes.  Sure NYS can target the funds "to the stadium", but in reality, it is meaningless.

Yup, Once tax money gets collected it all becomes parts of the general fund, there is no lock box.

As an example, look what our political parties did to all the money that was in the supposed Social Security fund, it was “borrowed “ and never paid back…, there are no politicians that won’t spend all tax revenue on whatever, regardless of what it may have been originally intended for. 

Now its time for a really dry martini and a cigarette, 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.