Are you losing interest in the NFL ?

Bogie_Klinkhammer

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

I still love it but giving up 4 hours per game I am having an increasingly difficult time justifying

For all non-Bills games, I propose recording them on the DVR and start watching about an hour after they start.

You can FF through all pre-game BS, all commercials, halftime delays, and even things like lengthy delays due to reviews/challenges, etc.

Ironically, you'll end up finishing the game around the same time as it ends in real time, if you start around the correct time.  I.E., it doesn't mean having to stay up even later for a night game.

I have no idea why anyone would watch a game other than in this manner.

For the BILLS---that's different.  I can't wait an extra hour!  I want to see it live and will put up with the BS for it, but usually only for Bills games.

• Like (+1) 1

Lost interest a long time ago. 

Over officiated, watered down product. More about the show/tv production than the actual game. And with twitter etc, it’s becoming a reality show instead of a sport.

And i feel like with the NFL hand in the pot with legal gambling it’s only gonna get worse.

I love the Bills because hometown habits die hard. They are all I really watch. Bills are more of a social event to me, to get together with friends and family.

If we didn’t have a team I likely wouldn’t watch at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I'm still a diehard Bills fan but not a diehard fan of the NFL anymore.

I more or less hate the NFL when it comes to almost any issue! 

But what does that have to do with sitting down and enjoying a football game?

It's not the league and its shenanigans that I care about, it's pro football games!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

I still love it but giving up 4 hours per game I am having an increasingly difficult time justifying

I watch only the Bills, conference championships and the superbowl.  And even the Bills games I record and have my system automatically skip commercials on playback to reduce the time spent watching significantly.  I have been steadily losing interest in the NFL for years.  I think a combination of having a family and therefore better things to do, and the over commercialization and over saturation of the NFL.  Sunday, sunday monday and thursday nights, really?   Maybe I'm actually finally growing up <gasp> ;) 

Edited by CodeMonkey

2 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

And i feel like with the NFL hand in the pot with legal gambling it’s only gonna get worse.

I love the Bills because hometown habits die hard. They are all I really watch. Bills are more of a social event to me, to get together with friends and family.

I am not a fan of the gambling connection.

I am all in favor of  full time referees.

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I more or less hate the NFL when it comes to almost any issue! 

But what does that have to do with sitting down and enjoying a football game?

It's not the league and its shenanigans that I care about, it's pro football games!

I used to watch any NFL game that was on tv.  I've become more selective lately.  If it's an appealing matchup I'll probably watch it.  If not, I'll likely find something else to do.

I feel much more optimistic and interested since the Bills have a genuine MVP player in Josh Allen.  And a good supporting cast at most positions.  Plus a GM and HC tandem, while not perfect, that is still pretty good.  So for the next 10 years or so we've got a real good shot at the Championship every season instead of the hope and pray for a miracle of the past couple decades.  Just get some damn pass rushers! 

What I don't like is the transformation of the game experience from a sporting event to some entertainment vehicle.  And as for the Super Bowl I never watch the pre-game fluff and the halftime shows never interested me regardless of who was performing.  For me its a good opportunity to hit the bathroom and take out the garbage for the Monday morning pick-up.  

I also stopped watching pre-game or weekday sports shows on the ESPN, NFL channel, and the other networks about 3 years ago because I just find them all to be monotonous and a waste of time.  I'll tune in the game about 1 minute before the starting time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mij yllek said:

Since they went far left, anti-American politically, I stopped watching altogether. I PVR Bills games and watch them in less than an hour and only if they win. So many better things to do with the 3+ hours I save.

giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e478zuykc5nxh13dnzsy

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

I get the "gist " of your concern. My only problem, like most , is the officiating.. wont go deep in the weeds, but the officiating in the  Tampa and Titan's game this year seemed to cost the Bills . Every team can say the same. Is the answer full-time officials? i am not sure. Wish there was a way to get a more perfect system.,,.

Serious question. Was there ever an era or year where you thought officiating by the NFL was good?

2 minutes ago, Mij yllek said:

Since they went far left, anti-American politically, I stopped watching altogether. I PVR Bills games and watch them in less than an hour and only if they win. So many better things to do with the 3+ hours I save.

Political opinions aside, that is really at the heart of the matter IMO.  A 4 hour TV broadcast for about 20 minutes of actual action.  Even with my solution of no commercials and skipping halftime, I still have all the dead time between plays, clock stoppages and so on which brings my time per game up to 90 - 120 minutes. 

The Buffalo Bill have been a foundational intrinsic part of my life from the age of  13..... Being out of area back in the 80's I had to wait by my TV for Bills scores to be shown before I rested on Sunday. Being able to attend a game a year while working, then raising a family, now retired the Bills are still an intrinsic part of my life. It's not just the game. For me its the WNY connection to my first home and the Bill mafia

I will never lose my interest in my team hence the NFL. ...But I will say screw the establishment cheaters and rat baastids wherever they may lie. I'm all about integrity. They lose me there mates. The NFL has some 'splainin' to do and some laundry to air in court.  I will feel sorry ZERO if they are proven as bad actors and negligent and corrupt. We will not surprised will we? SMH

GO BILLS 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, clayboy54 said:

Wouldn't it be so very Billzy to have everyone completely lose interest in the NFL just as the Bills are ready to win the Big One? Just our luck! (Right?)

lol its a testament to the current team that I have not read the word billzy written in a chatroom  in ages.  For me that word is a  blast from the past i'd just as soon leave there......since McBeane came to town its gone out of vogue thank goodness

billzy is not just pain,  its ridiculed ridiculous only happens to the Bills pain. blech

haha-m

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.