Are you losing interest in the NFL ?

Bogie_Klinkhammer

The game is fun to watch, and as a fan it’s fun to second guess/ critique the coaches & players, and root for my team.

But…, the NFL as an organization?  its just another greedy corporation. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Possibly!   Didn't watch the game till yesterday, was "busy" Sunday.  Did not watch the half time show at all!  Was envious of the defensive lines of both teams.  The commercials mostly were average.  Loved the GM ad with the Sopranos, and the Austin Powers ad was good too. This is the first time I have ever felt this way about the SB.  No doubt, seeing the BILLS there would have changed everything for me!

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

If you’re losing interest in the NFL yet still have an interest in this message board then something is just weird. 

Not weird, just a product of boredom creating the need to create a LAMP thread to gain attention.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I've been a Bills fan for over 50 years. I've invested too much of my heart and soul in this team to quit now. Yes the NFL is a corrupt league and there's very little we can do about it. Games can get steered in any direction. There were 5.5 billion reasons why the Rams were gently assisted at the end of the game. It's been a fun yet exhausting ride rooting for this team. Gotta see it thru. Gotta keep believing even if it seems daunting. God can't be that cruel.

They didn't get enough help.  Didn't cover.  Neither did the over.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I've been a Bills fan for over 50 years. I've invested too much of my heart and soul in this team to quit now. Yes the NFL is a corrupt league and there's very little we can do about it. Games can get steered in any direction. There were 5.5 billion reasons why the Rams were gently assisted at the end of the game. It's been a fun yet exhausting ride rooting for this team. Gotta see it thru. Gotta keep believing even if it seems daunting. God can't be that cruel.

The worst non-call was on what should have been offensive PI on the Bengals that gave them the TD to start the 2nd half.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

57 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It's a very valid questions and I would have been curious what those 30 reasons were.

For me it's a double edged sword. I love the game of football. I love the history of the NFL. I have suffered through for so long for Buffalo to field a great team with a centerpiece like Josh Allen that there is no chance I can stop watching now. 

However, yes...it's getting harder to watch a game owned by billionaires that seem above the law. Seeing the game being priced out of a traditional middle class family budget. In no other sport is the Championship game aimed at people who don't really even follow the sport. And I won't even discuss the officiating.

Even shows about the NFL have less and less to do with football and seem more like the nightly news. Domestic Violence, COVID, fatal DWI/manslaughter...list goes on and on. Remeber when football was an escape for a few hours from the real world issues? 

I watch the Bills now. I pay attention to the other games but no longer "need" to see the late Sunday, Monday or Thursday games that don't involve Buffalo. Maybe it's the above mentioned stuff or maybe it may age my own priority list has changed...but football isn't as important as it used to be.

When I was younger, I was an avid sports fan, particularly football, hockey, and baseball. From the time I was old enough to understand sports, I was a fan of the Bills, the Sabres (starting the second they were formed), and the Yankees (because my father listened to their games on the radio). I couldn't get enough of those teams or those sports.

My fandom for sports was really shaped in the late 60s through the 70s. I suppose like all developmental aspects of our lives, that created the framework within which I developed how I viewed athletes, the games, the role sports played in my life, and how it fit into life in a greater context.  Each subsequent era brought more changes to the games I loved, some for the better, some not. I am not one of those that longs for the "good old days" when everything was better. I tend to be one that has always embraced change. Hell, I am headed into my mid 60's and just started a venture in developing software for a specific profession - when I never even touched a computer until I was almost 40.

However, I have found, as I have gotten older, my passion for the sports I loved has continually diminished. I still have my passion for my Bills, Sabres, and Yankees, but I can't remember the last time I sat down and watched a football game, hockey game, or baseball game that didn't involve my teams. I'm not sure I can even narrow it down to a handful of reasons, or if it has more to do with how the game has changed or how I have changed. Like all human behavior, I suspect it is complex.

I still follow football, hockey, and baseball, outside of my teams, in a general way - but really only so far as it is relevant to my teams. The moment the season is over for any of my teams, any interest in the respective sport ends.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I guess I concur with most here...I count 2021 season as my 49th season of Bills fanatcism...it started when I was 7.  I've missed one Bills game since 1983.  I've seen more bad football than good, but my love for the Bills hasn't diminished.  My love for the league has, however... I normally watch as much football as I possibly can.  I will at least tune in for part of every nationally televised game, and watch two games on Sunday afternoon...we are talking about 5 games a week.  I have to confess though, as great as so many of the games are now, it just doesn't get me going like it used to.  I still feel that adrenaline rush during Bills games, but sometimes I almost just have the other games on as background chatter.   I am not giving them my full attention like I used to.  We are in this era of almost un-paralleled QB play...more game than ever go down to the wire, down to the last play...but I am sort of numb to it.  Maybe just the old guy in me, but I can't just accept the fact that after decades, all of the sudden, the QB's are so much better...I realize they are more athletic than ever...but to me it seems almost that the rules have just changed so much, defense is barely a factor in the games anymore.  It's almost like the games aren't inherently great, their greatness has been sort of manufactured. 

I've mentioned it in other posts, but one of my best friends is a huge Bears fan.  We normally get together to watch whenever either of our teams are in prime-time, or playoff games. All this past season, I kept mentioning the Bills #1 defense...when we watched the Chiefs playoff game a graphic came up showing how dominant the Bills defense had been all season....he said to me, something like "all year, you kept saying the Bills had one of the top defenses, I thought you were just exaggerating...every time I see them play, I am always amazed by how many big plays they give up".  He is right...being the #1 defense in the NFL in 2021 is a far cry from what it meant in 1985, or even 2000.  Like everything, the game has changed so much.

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Only a Bills fan would lose interest in the NFL right when the team has finally become good!  So Billsy!  😃

Because they are getting screwed. 

Like losing a close one, or getting blown out.  I can handle a blow out better.

Until I am proven wrong, Bills are right on script.

Keep the rabid fans on a leash. No reason the League needs them to win, the Bills fans aren't going anywhere!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

No,  it's the opposite.  I have lost much of my interest in NHL, MLB, NCAA Hoops....zero interest in NBA.   

So basically my interest in the NFL is at an all time high and I'm bummed out that we basically have 6 months of nothing.

This is me exactly.

Mets in the World Series? I'll watch a couple games.

Sabres in the finals? Maybe the last game.

What is the NBA?

NFL? I'll skip my grandmother's funeral to watch the Bills!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

The older I get the more and more I feel what Sonny told Calogero in A Bronx Tale.

I'm not nearly as emotionally invested as I used to be and that's a good thing.  Bills losses don't affect me.  I just enjoy watching games now.

*I'll forever be a fan, but these days I'm more interested in how much money my Draft Kings lineups are making me.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

I only watch/follow the NFL and the NHL because there are teams that have Buffalo in their name.

You take that away and my interest would be pretty close to ZERO

I don't even watch the superbowl.....waste of my time if no team from Buffalo is representing

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.