Happy Birthday, Galileo Galilei

SoTier

One of the giants of human history, born today 458 years ago.

A brief summary of his life and work from Wikipedia ...

Galileo di Vincenzo Bonaiuti de' Galilei, (15 February 1564 – 8 January 1642,)commonly referred to as Galileo, was an Italian astronomer, physicist and engineer, sometimes described as a polymath, from the city of Pisa, then part of the Duchy of Florence. Galileo has been called the "father" of observational astronomy, modern physics, the scientific method, and modern science.

Galileo studied speed and velocity, gravity and free fall, the principle of relativity, inertia, projectile motion and also worked in applied science and technology, describing the properties of pendulums and "hydrostatic balances". He invented the thermoscope and various military compasses, and used the telescope for scientific observations of celestial objects. His contributions to observational astronomy include telescopic confirmation of the phases of Venus, observation of the four largest satellites of Jupiter, observation of Saturn's rings, and analysis of lunar craters and sunspots.

Galileo's championing of Copernican heliocentrism (Earth rotating daily and revolving around the sun) was met with opposition from within the Catholic Church and from some astronomers. The matter was investigated by the Roman Inquisition in 1615, which concluded that heliocentrism was foolish, absurd, and heretical since it contradicted Holy Scripture.

Galileo later defended his views in Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems (1632), which appeared to attack Pope Urban VIII and thus alienated both the Pope and the Jesuits, who had both supported Galileo up until this point. He was tried by the Inquisition, found "vehemently suspect of heresy", and forced to recant. He spent the rest of his life under house arrest. During this time, he wrote Two New Sciences (1638), primarily concerning kinematics and the strength of materials, summarizing work he had done around forty years earlier.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Anyone that could piss off the Pope and the Jesuits is OK!

My Jesuit education has served me very well in life, but I 100% agree with you!

BTW: Read up on Pope Urban VIII, mentioned in the blurb up-thread...

This is from that glorious era when the Church had really hit dead rock bottom, and stayed there for quite a while.

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

One of the giants of human history, born today 458 years ago.

A unique piece of historical fiction here if anybody's interested.

Galileo's Dream

The big man shares a birthdate with a few other interesting people; Ernest Shackleton, Susan B Anthony, Matt Groening, and my Dad. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

My Jesuit education has served me very well in life, but I 100% agree with you!

BTW: Read up on Pope Urban VIII, mentioned in the blurb up-thread...

This is from that glorious era when the Church had really hit dead rock bottom, and stayed there for quite a while.

I think we're there again!    Urban VIII was very small time compared to now.  It's all about the $$$.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The Church is nowhere even close to being at rock bottom again with the science! Not even close!  Same culturally. 

Yet... When has anything been NOT about the dinero!

I agree with you about the Roman Catholic Church and science ... I taught biology, physics, and earth science in Catholic schools many, many years ago.   The RCC formally accepted the theory of evolution more than 70 years ago.   Most mainline Protestant denominations (Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc) have also made their peace with modern scientific theories.  The conservative Christian denominations that insist on literal interpretation of the Bible are the religious groups that don't accept modern science.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I agree with you about the Roman Catholic Church and science ... I taught biology, physics, and earth science in Catholic schools many, many years ago.   The RCC formally accepted the theory of evolution more than 70 years ago.   Most mainline Protestant denominations (Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc) have also made their peace with modern scientific theories.  The conservative Christian denominations that insist on literal interpretation of the Bible are the religious groups that don't accept modern science.

How dare they

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.