Cover 1 Salary Cap Spectacular!

TheyCallMeAndy

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Pretty much but every year you have the fans talking about this free agent or that free agent we’re not bringing any of those free agents

To be fair, over the last 2-3 years, the Bills have been rumored to be in the mix with a lot of top end free agents.  Now that Brady is retired and the Chiefs have no cap space, the vets seeking a ring might be looking at Buffalo even at a discount.  

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

They let him walk and test free agency i believe 

I would really like to see McKenzie re-signed.  Aside from the fact I believe he can be even better as a return man, his speed on the field is undeniable.  He brings a whole different element to the passing game when he is on the field, and as the season progressed, it was obvious Josh developed more confidence AND chemistry with him.  I think Beane should do what he has to do to retain him.  Would he really cost that much to re-sign?

15 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Trying to remember as much as I can but I might miss a few things...

-They left the big potential restructures alone (White, Dawkins, Poyer, Hyde) but available if necessary 

-Talked extension for Morse, Knox, Diggs, and possibly Edmunds to lower cap hit...but were ok leaving Edmunds alone and letting it play out...

-Keep Beasley, but try for a pay cut

-Either cut Klein, Matakevich, or get them to take pay cuts

-Hughes, Addison, Butler gone...

All in all, they ended up with about $28 million in cap space...👍

I think we keep Hughes or Addison whichever one elects to come in cheaper, I'd feel it be Addison and think he's the best of the three. As we still need a vet in the locker room. I'd also welcome looking for a depth UFA that be affordable, I haven't looked on the list but think there be some 27-32 year old DE with 5.0-9.0 sack potential we could bring in on the cheap.

34 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

I would really like to see McKenzie re-signed.  Aside from the fact I believe he can be even better as a return man, his speed on the field is undeniable.  He brings a whole different element to the passing game when he is on the field, and as the season progressed, it was obvious Josh developed more confidence AND chemistry with him.  I think Beane should do what he has to do to retain him.  Would he really cost that much to re-sign?

McKenzie is ideal in the role he is in yet if he wants a bigger one than he moves. I like him but we could be moving on based on some of the guys being sad that the team won't be the same which tells me some could be seeking greener or new pastures. 

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, no way. He'd see that offer as a sign of disrespect.

Here's what they said on Cover 1, at about the 2:16 mark. (They had Tompsett play Beane, as Tompsett is the cap experts - and he really does know his cap stuff inside and out - and the others presented to him what they should do with each guy.)

First, Romeo, and Pro-Ant recommended keeping Hughes and there was no real disagreement.

Tompsett:  There's a couple that we want to go through. I think they keep Ike Boettger and Justin Zimmer, but not on a tender, they just come back as a minimum contract, probably the same thing with Jake Kumerow, is the kind of guy who would come back on a minimum deal. They will have to tender Ryan Bates, and that will cost us $2.4, so that one does count some of the cap space. ... I do think they will need to be able to keep him. So that brings us down to $13.8 without anything for Jerry Hughes.

And if they keep Jerry Hughes it would be right around, to be conservative it's going to be right around that $3.8 million number.

I don't think they keep Jerry Hughes for $3.8M.  That would put him down into never-was older player territory like Benson Mayowa or Mario Edwards.

Hughes had a cap hit of $9.4M with a salary of $6M last season and a $1M roster bonus, so that would be quite the haircut.

Maybe $5M, which is Dawuane Smoot/William Gholston territory.    OTOH, Hughes is older, and was less productive than they last season.  I could be wrong, I just kind of feel that's gonna be a pride point for Hughes.  They could make part of it signing bonus, part of it bonus, and split it with a void year to get the cap impact down to $3 or so.

Anyway thanks very much for the transcription, much appreciated.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So you're probably talking, if we re-sign Harrison Phillips for about a three-year $15 to $18 million deal, we re-sign a starting cornerback for around $6M, we'll say it's Levi Wallace, we tender Ryan Bates, we keep Justin Zimmer, Ike Boettger, Terrell Dodson and we bring back Jerry Hughes on a very reasonable deal just to be there as the rotational guy. And we keep Siran Neal, I also had him as a guy we would keep at that same kind of slightly above minimum, we're probably walking in with $10M.

Siran Neal is an interesting question.  McKenzie says he's the fastest guy on the Bills, and he can play some.  As a boundary corner, Hard No, but he's listed as a safety and has played some in nickel and dime in addition to his gunner role on ST.  I think it's a good question how much interest would he bring around the league?  If you want to get faster as a team, you don't do it by letting fast guys who have shown some playing ability walk.

I'm not sure we get Boettger on vet minimum either.  He got $2.1M last season, which IIRC was a tender, and he started 10 games.  When we brought in Feliciano as a G who had shown he could start and who could play both sides (but, no demonstrated ability to play C at that point), we paid him $2.4-$2.6M salary but his cap hit was $4.x.  My guess would be that Bobby Johnson is going to look for someone to bring into NY Giants who can help teach his system, and Boettger (and Feliciano if we cut him, or flip him cheap) would be prime candidates - While Aaron Kromer probably has some similar players in mind he'd like to bring in to teach his.

Harry for $15-18 sounds good

11 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Beane already came out and said they’re going to look to add some guys. So they’ll probably pick up a few average starters and rotation players. What they really need is elite talent on defense and the OLine, though. 

I thought the OL played well at the end.   Just give the new coach those guys and a draft pick and see what happens.

I would prefer to see a run at an elite Dlineman.  The earlier draft picks aren't wasted because they still replace high priced prior pieces such as Butler/Addison/Hughes.  But adding a proven top level guy would really help.  Either being highest bidder or a draft+pay combo, getting an elite in here would be huge!

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I thought the OL played well at the end.   Just give the new coach those guys and a draft pick and see what happens.

I would prefer to see a run at an elite Dlineman.  The earlier draft picks aren't wasted because they still replace high priced prior pieces such as Butler/Addison/Hughes.  But adding a proven top level guy would really help.  Either being highest bidder or a draft+pay combo, getting an elite in here would be huge!

Agreed.  We are young enough on the DL with Oliver, Groot, Basham, Epenesa still all on their rookie deals.  Campbell on a 1 year deal is a no brainer.  Then, I’d go after Von Miller.  A line of Groot, Oliver, Campbell and Miller with the young guys as backups is Super Bowl quality.  And you won’t have to commit long term money to Campbell or Miller.  They will actually help the young guys develop.  

I suspect the Bills will approach the 2022 off-season similar to 2021. I think the bigger moves will be to simply keeping the teams talent (Levi, Phillips, Mac, Bates, Hughes, and Zimmer all come to mind as likely resignings) and then make a mid level acquisition to bolster a spot on the team (similar to Sanders last off-season). 

The Bills will then supplement the roster further via the draft.

29 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed.  We are young enough on the DL with Oliver, Groot, Basham, Epenesa still all on their rookie deals.  Campbell on a 1 year deal is a no brainer.  Then, I’d go after Von Miller.  A line of Groot, Oliver, Campbell and Miller with the young guys as backups is Super Bowl quality.  And you won’t have to commit long term money to Campbell or Miller.  They will actually help the young guys develop.  

Cap wise I don’t think they will have the money for both Miller and Campbell but bringing in Campbell seems promising maybe a one year 7ish million dollar deal?

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

they also said Wallace could make a nice transition to safety someday when poyer/hyde decline

Huh.  That is not something I had considered.

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I suspect the Bills will approach the 2022 off-season similar to 2021. I think the bigger moves will be to simply keeping the teams talent (Levi, Phillips, Mac, Bates, Hughes, and Zimmer all come to mind as likely resignings) and then make a mid level acquisition to bolster a spot on the team (similar to Sanders last off-season). 

It didn't sound as though that were the case from the Beane-meister's post-season.  He sounded like they would have more FA money and would be looking outside this season vs. last season when he clearly stated it was a priority to re-sign our own.

Now that said he did say "don't expect a splash" in FA

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Cap wise I don’t think they will have the money for both Miller and Campbell but bringing in Campbell seems promising maybe a one year 7ish million dollar deal?

Curious what about last season's performance makes you feel Calais Campbell is worth $7M?

I think he was a great player but I also think he's toast.  And I think over-paying for declining FA talent on DL has led us to where we are, which is a huge investment in draft picks and FA signings for poor overall ROI on DL

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Huh.  That is not something I had considered.

It didn't sound as though that were the case from the Beane-meister's post-season.  He sounded like they would have more FA money and would be looking outside this season vs. last season when he clearly stated it was a priority to re-sign our own.

Now that said he did say "don't expect a splash" in FA

Curious what about last season's performance makes you feel Calais Campbell is worth $7M?

I think he was a great player but I also think he's toast.  And I think over-paying for declining FA talent on DL has led us to where we are, which is a huge investment in draft picks and FA signings for poor overall ROI on DL

Campbell graded out well in various advanced metrics and in the games I watched the Ravens play he was pretty good. That’s my assessment and where it comes from. I think he could still have one more good season in him.

16 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. 

Saw it a couple of days ago. Great stuff!!

Strong disagree on Hughes. He was easily their best pass rusher. Did a fine job. I'm with the Cover 1 folks, I'd fully expect them to try to tempt him back one more year for another shot at a championship somewhere in the $4M range.

And I hope they get him. He would probably be a major positive factor in the pass rush as he was this year.

Mario Addison was significantly better than Jerry Hughes in just about every category. If anyone is brought back, it needs to be Addison. 

Diggs they have ‘in their pocket’ - could be reading/extending his comtract this offseason if a FA player we really covet comes avaiand we need extra cash. No on Knox but FO may consider extension later this offseason. 

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Any talk of a new contract/extension for Diggs or Knox?  Those would be my first two priorities.  Knox value could explode after next season while Diggs deserves a pay raise.  Maybe tie some financial incentives based on team production into both their contracts.

• Like (+1) 1

Man, I'll tell you what. Building a Super Bowl worthy defense, It is not going to be easy....there are no free agents that we could sign that could turn this defense around I don't think.... I could see a CB helping a lot but our story is on the line..... I think the odds of players on our team getting that much better are slim and I don't Billieve Leslie will change his defense and get a two-gapper DT....

13 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Man, I'll tell you what. Building a Super Bowl worthy defense, It is not going to be easy....there are no free agents that we could sign that could turn this defense around I don't think.... I could see a CB helping a lot but our story is on the line..... I think the odds of players on our team getting that much better are slim and I don't Billieve Leslie will change his defense and get a two-gapper DT....

I think McDermitt recognizes that his D needs a solid d line.   His Biggest and first notable signing was a DT who could anchor the middle in Star L.   Sadly Star has obviously underwhelmed.    My choice for first rounder this year is a powerful DT.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.