The 17th game and the bad football in Championship games and Super Bowl

BADOLBILZ

11 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Oh, I agree on Brady. Enough already with that soulless ghoul!

Mahomes doesn't bother me, and if the Bills aren't in the SB I hope he wins every year that we're not there. 

1. I like Andy Reid

2. The more rings Mahomes gets (ONLY IF WE ARE OUT OF IT THAT SEASON) the more Brady will get to experience what it's like to be sitting on the couch while the "new GOAT" is crowned. 

You can be the GOAT with 4-5 rings if you ALSO retire with every single passing record, career and single season. So being a Brady hater, Mahomes doesn't bother me unless he's in our way. 

And continue the “2nd best” runner up type media QB narratives for the rest of what will probably be a legendary career for Josh? No thanks 🥴—even in the years we’re not in it, I’d rather see a variety of teams/QB’s bubble up for one hit wonders than constant Mahomes overkill, imho.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It was a close game, but not because both teams were trading blows. It was just sloppy play from both sides. Missed throws, weird play calls, a sudden onslaught of flags in the final 2 minutes. I don't think either team was really deserving of the win, LA just made one less mistake. No signature plays and the biggest play of the game only happened because of a missed face mask that everyone watching the game saw on replay. Overall meh.

The only signature play was the last one. Aaron Donald destroying Cincy's dream. If LA was going to win a Superbowl then Aaron Donald was the man who deserved to win it for them. And Cincinnati played Russian roulette with Burrow's health all year behind that line. 

I felt like while it was a meh game that last play kinda summed both teams up. 

20 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It would’ve been a good game for a week 6 Sunday night football or a week 16 flex - but as Super Bowls go it was pretty weak, neither team was very good compared to the teams that were sitting at home - Bucs, Cowboys, Bills, Chiefs, even the Titans and Ravens are probably better than either team that played last night.

Cowboys, Titans and Ravens??  Come on with those 3.  Titans maybe the worst #1 seed ever.  Ravens have no QB.  Cowboys are a joke, every year at this time

• Dislike 1

21 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Only the Rams survived..........and barely.

With help from the refs and a fresh set of downs on 3rd and goal. 

Help that wasn't afforded to the Bills against the Bucs on a more egregious act... That would have changed the venue of the divisional playoff game against the Chiefs. 

Yup... It was that close of a season where factors that certain teams weren't afford equal opportunities.

Error on the part of the League, glitches in the rules and system, or just bad luck... Anyway you slice,  inconsistent season mostly on the doings of powers beyond the control of the teams competing. 

Rams were afforded an opportunity in a big game that certain other teams weren't.

This season couldn't have ended any worse.

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree completely that mental and physical fatigue/wear and tear showed at the end.

I realize this will never happen, but I'm a proponent of shortening, not lengthening, the season.   Remember when the season was 14 games long?  I know you do.

Two reasons: 

1) I think it's a "bait and switch" for teams and ticketholders of teams with open air stadia to keep extending the season into the depths of seasonal winter

2) I think the wear-and-tear of a longer season degrades the quality of the playoff games and superbowl

Also not a fan of the extra playoff team and only 1 bye.  I think the initial round of playoffs was low-quality.

Like I said, I understand it will never happen because $$$$, but if we're throwing down what we'd like to see happen, that's where I am

Does it make that much of a difference, in reality? Say if the schedule was 16 games with three bye weeks how much would the dollars suffer? You would lose the gate revenue from a 17th game but isn't the real money from the TV contract that would in effect be 19 weeks? There can only be so many games on tv anyway and while there would be less games to choose from if there is a bad game you can just switch to other closer games. If the owners wanted to have more games available they could ramp up their desire to go overseas, which would also be easier for the players with more bye weeks.

I think the NFLPA really screwed the pooch agreeing to more games before getting more bye weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It was a close game, but not because both teams were trading blows. It was just sloppy play from both sides. Missed throws, weird play calls, a sudden onslaught of flags in the final 2 minutes. I don't think either team was really deserving of the win, LA just made one less mistake. No signature plays and the biggest play of the game only happened because of a missed face mask that everyone watching the game saw on replay. Overall meh.

The level of play was on par to a November regular season game between two "in the hunt" level teams, IMO.    Lot's of unforced errors and wasn't a desperate sense of urgency and they seemed to fall into a lull where they were comfortable punting back and forth to each other in the second half.

You aren't always going to get a good game or a close game in the SB.   But what I always hope to see in a SB is greatness on display that really shows you why at least one of these teams is there.   Last years SB was a blowout but Tampa absolutely played their best game.  

Maybe the way to put it is that if you were a college football coach who is too busy recruiting to see NFL games and only saw THIS game.........you wouldn't think you were missing much.    

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

With help from the refs and a fresh set of downs on 3rd and goal. 

Help that wasn't afforded to the Bills against the Bucs on a more egregious act... That would have changed the venue of the divisional playoff game against the Chiefs. 

Yup... It was that close of a season where factors that certain teams weren't afford equal opportunities.

Error on the part of the League, glitches in the rules and system, or just bad luck... Anyway you slice,  inconsistent season mostly on the doings of powers beyond the control of the teams competing. 

Rams were afforded an opportunity in a big game that certain other teams weren't.

This season couldn't have ended any worse.

Yeah I felt that there was no way that the refs were going to let the Rams go 4 and out in a goal to go situation if Cinci was still clutching and grabbing.........as both teams had been allowed to play all game.

Two ways to look at it...........that is was just BS letting the refs influence the end of the game like that.

Or realizing this could happen and going for the jugular all game instead of playing/coaching yourself into a tight game.

It's my opinion that most close games are tentatively or poorly played and coached into existence.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Success said:

It was a great Super Bowl. I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say it was sub-par. It was a really hard-fought game that came down to the last minute.

Yeah, there have been a lot of really bad Super Bowls and that wasn’t one of them…there were about six seasons in a row in the 80s and again in the 90s where the Super Bowl was a complete blowout by halftime…

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The level of play was on par to a November regular season game between two "in the hunt" level teams, IMO.    Lot's of unforced errors and wasn't a desperate sense of urgency and they seemed to fall into a lull where they were comfortable punting back and forth to each other in the second half.

You aren't always going to get a good game or a close game in the SB.   But what I always hope to see in a SB is greatness on display that really shows you why at least one of these teams is there.   Last years SB was a blowout but Tampa absolutely played their best game.  

Maybe the way to put it is that if you were a college football coach who is too busy recruiting to see NFL games and only saw THIS game.........you wouldn't think you were missing much.    

Felt a little like a Thursday Night Football Jaguars-Texans classic.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I felt that there was no way that the refs were going to let the Rams go 4 and out in a goal to go situation if Cinci was still clutching and grabbing.........as both teams had been allowed to play all game.

Two ways to look at it...........that is was just BS letting the refs influence the end of the game like that.

Or realizing this could happen and going for the jugular all game instead of playing/coaching yourself into a tight game.

It's my opinion that most close games are tentatively or poorly played and coached into existence.

Cincy DID go for the jugular twice and hit those plays, and on that final play where Donald made the big pressure that forced the incompletion, Ramsey had fallen down and Chase was WIDE open--and I mean WIDE open--for a TD. I'm mot really speaking to your point here, but if a Bengals o-lineman did the unlikely and actually blocked Donald even a little, Ramsey might have gone down as one of the biggest goats in SB history--"trash," as it were. That would have been hilarious, and I would have loved it. It's also why I think Donald should have been the MVP, although I can't complain too much about Kupp getting it.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Cincy DID go for the jugular twice and hit those plays, and on that final play where Donald made the big pressure that forced the incompletion, Ramsey had fallen down and Chase was WIDE open--and I mean WIDE open--for a TD. I'm mot really speaking to your point here, but if a Bengals o-lineman did the unlikely and actually blocked Donald even a little, Ramsey might have gone down as one of the biggest goats in SB history--"trash," as it were. That would have been hilarious, and I would have loved it. It's also why I think Donald should have been the MVP, although I can't complain too much about Kupp getting it.

Sometimes going for the jugular means having the patience to methodically call and make plays that give you the best chance against a defense.

The Bengals offensive game plan......full of slow developing pass plays.......made little sense.

The Higgins TD versus Ramsey was just a broken play that would have been flagged and then overturned by the sky judge in every prior game this season so they really just caught a break on that.    Credit to them for taking advantage of the Rams inexplicable choice to blitz there.........but in reality Ramsey had that one well covered.

And as @Hapless Bills Fan mentioned earlier the pic of Chase running past Ramsey begs the question did Chase OPI him to get to that point as well.   4th and 1 and they didn't have a good short pass option?  

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sometimes going for the jugular means having the patience to methodically call and make plays that give you the best chance against a defense.

The Bengals offensive game plan......full of slow developing pass plays.......made little sense.

The Higgins TD versus Ramsey was just a broken play that would have been flagged and then overturned by the sky judge in every prior game this season so they really just caught a break on that.    Credit to them for taking advantage of the Rams inexplicable choice to blitz there.........but in reality Ramsey had that one well covered.

And as @Hapless Bills Fan mentioned earlier the pic of Chase running past Ramsey begs the question did Chase OPI him to get to that point as well.   4th and 1 and they didn't have a good short pass option?  

I like to think Ramsey simply choked--just liked he choked vs Tampa/Mike Evans (although he was saved by the bell in the form of TB going cover zero on LA's last possession).

They did have the short pass option to Burrow's right. It's just that the Bengal's joke of an o-lineman was beaten so quickly and so badly that Burrow had no chance. 

Edited by dave mcbride

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.