The 17th game and the bad football in Championship games and Super Bowl

BADOLBILZ

This is the first time in my life I've turned off a SB.  After that long half time show, which I didn't like (no issues with the music, just was lame), I called it quits.  Just felt like an in-season game to me, not a SB, and I wasn't really that interested in either team.

Outside of BUF/KC the divisional round was also full of poorly played slop-ball that ended in close scores (and I'm sure there are some purists out there that didn't like our game b/c nobody played DEF).

The Rams were the only team that generally played well in that round, but they lost FOUR fumbles to leave the game open for TB. 

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I may be the only one, but I prefer when you have 1 or 2 dominant teams who are just a whole lot better than everyone else… true champions when they win it all.

So I’m guessing you didn’t watch any of the playoffs then? There were ZERO dominant teams in the NFL this year. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Success said:

It was a great Super Bowl. I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say it was sub-par. It was a really hard-fought game that came down to the last minute.

It was a lousy game that lacked any flow whatsoever...saved by the fact that yes, it came down to a fairly exciting conclusion and the outcome of the game was never really known throughout.

I'd give it like a 6 out of 10 in terms of being a fun game to watch by a neutral fan who doesn't care who wins or loses.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I may be the only one, but I prefer when you have 1 or 2 dominant teams who are just a whole lot better than everyone else… true champions when they win it all.

That's how football used to be before the cap and free agency.

Back then, organizations that really knew what they were doing could totally stockpile talent and dominate.

The Bills, 49ers, and Cowboys were among the best at that back when we went to our Super Bowls.

Yes, there were more blowouts during the regular season in those days, but when the heavyweights finally met up in the playoffs, the games seemed more memorable.

I've been harping on this point for 30 years.

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Outside of BUF/KC the divisional round was also full of poorly played slop-ball that ended in close scores (and I'm sure there are some purists out there that didn't like our game b/c nobody played DEF).

The Rams were the only team that generally played well in that round, but they lost FOUR fumbles to leave the game open for TB. 

I would argue many of the games this post-season were really exciting, but b/c of parity.

A lot of people considered the Bills/Chiefs game like the best playoff game ever played.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rico said:

You must have loved those Bears/NE and SF-Broncos Super Bowls in the 1980s (the blowout era). The Bears/NE game even had Up With People doing the halftime show! 

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You must have loved those Bears/NE and SF-Broncos Super Bowls in the 1980s (the blowout era). The Bears/NE game even had Up With People doing the halftime show! 

I respect those winning teams a HELL of a lot more than the mediocre teams of later years who just happened to get hot at the end.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought it was a pretty good game. In my opinion it's the best SB since the Atlanta/NE game. The Philly/NE game had zero defense, and the SF/KC game was more "blah" than this one. Last year's SB and the NE/Rams one were bad. The stars all showed up last night and played well, and in my view a 23-20 score is pretty much the perfect number--it indicates that both offenses and defenses made plays. I worry less about a SB team being not as dominant as one might like; the game should be judged on its own terms. At the end of the day, it was a see-saw, hard fought battle with a lot of important individual plays. The fact that the teams are flawed is meaningless to me.  The Bills are flawed too. 

It was a close game, but not because both teams were trading blows. It was just sloppy play from both sides. Missed throws, weird play calls, a sudden onslaught of flags in the final 2 minutes. I don't think either team was really deserving of the win, LA just made one less mistake. No signature plays and the biggest play of the game only happened because of a missed face mask that everyone watching the game saw on replay. Overall meh.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

As someone who was on the other side of the 17 game argument, but agree with you 18 and 2 byes is inevitable at the next CBA, I completely agree. Divisional weekend was the high watermark. The Championship games and the Superbowl looked like tired football. 

It may be inevitable... but 18 games with 2 byes and watered down players. Is exactly how you ruin the sport.  

A longer season will only bring more TV revenue, but will only diminish the play on the field. 

This is why I am perfectly comfortable with my personal level of knowledge about football.

I know enough about football to understand and enjoy it ... but not too much, where all I can do is point out why it sucks.

I thought the playoffs were great.  I thought the Super Bowl was very good ... especially the 2nd half.

I never want to know so much about something that I forget how to enjoy it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, phypon said:

This is the first time in my life I've turned off a SB.  After that long half time show, which I didn't like (no issues with the music, just was lame), I called it quits.  Just felt like an in-season game to me, not a SB, and I wasn't really that interested in either team.

We had a fairly large group watching the game together and a couple of our younger Bills fans were cracking us up...........they thought Mary J Blige might be Dolly Parton and that 50 Cent had a 50 on his chain cuz he was 50 years old.   Jennifer Lopez had that commercial with the open dress and they were like who this old lady and why she got her t!tties out?    They also made some awesome steaks using techniques they learned on TikTok.    We had a lot of fun watching the game and even got some laughs out of the poor quality of football.    If I was just watching it alone I might have set a 30 minute alarm and nodded off in the 3rd quarter though.   You could almost see the bad football coming.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The pinnacle was the Bills at Chiefs. That was the best game I think I’ve ever seen, despite the horrific ending. Life goes on. 

I agree that last night was a close game, but not a very interesting game. I don’t know if that was me and my disappointment, or if it was real. It sure felt real. 

The game was good not great, that being said the extra game needs to be accompanied by an extra bye week. Also gut the Thursday games or only have Thursday games played when both teams had a bye week. Just some suggestions while we are trying to fix football/the NFL.

Edited by billsfan89

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The game was good not great, that being said the extra game needs to be accompanied by an extra bye week. Also gut the Thursday games or only have Thursday games played when both teams had a bye week. Just some suggestions while we are trying to fix football/the NFL.

I think a lot of those playoff games would have been better if not for guys saving themselves for the Pro Bowl.    😋

An extra bye gives us a longer season, and is only fair to the players. Even if it comes with one extra game (and the related additional money). 

• Haha (+1) 1

More often than not, the Super Bowl is not a good game, often not competitive and often sloppy. This year’s game started great but injuries during the game made a negative impact. If a Super Bowl is close and goes down to the wire, that’s the best you can hope for given the off-the-charts hype leading up to it. The game was pretty slow in the middle but I enjoyed the whole thing a lot, especially knowing football is over for quite a while. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

More often than not, the Super Bowl is not a good game, often not competitive and often sloppy. This year’s game started great but injuries during the game made a negative impact. If a Super Bowl is close and goes down to the wire, that’s the best you can hope for given the off-the-charts hype leading up to it. The game was pretty slow in the middle but I enjoyed the whole thing a lot, especially knowing football is over for quite a while. 

As I’ve posted before, a friend/client many years ago would host an amazing party on AFC/NFC Championship weekend. Less hype, more football, better chance of a great game. His parties were a notch above what we were used to back then. They were AWESOME! 

I had hoped to hold one of those this year in our new “party house”.  The Bills loss sucked the life out of me. Seriously. It’s not that it was supposed to be a Bills party, but more I just couldn’t think football for a while. 

By next year we should have our furniture (better than the “soccer chairs” in the media room), and the Bills will be hosting until the Super Bowl! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.