The 17th game and the bad football in Championship games and Super Bowl

BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree completely that mental and physical fatigue/wear and tear showed at the end.

I realize this will never happen, but I'm a proponent of shortening, not lengthening, the season.   Remember when the season was 14 games long?  I know you do.

Two reasons: 

1) I think it's a "bait and switch" for teams and ticketholders of teams with open air stadia to keep extending the season into the depths of seasonal winter

2) I think the wear-and-tear of a longer season degrades the quality of the playoff games and superbowl

Also not a fan of the extra playoff team and only 1 bye.  I think the initial round of playoffs was low-quality.

Like I said, I understand it will never happen because $$$$, but if we're throwing down what we'd like to see happen, that's where I am

I do think that the teams will adjust to the extra game and the lack of a second playoff bye team and it will eventually become an afterthought............but like the rookie wall........I think these teams hit a wall in the championship games and stayed hit.

I do recall the 1978 season when they expanded to 16 games the title games were terrible..........but at the time the Steelers and Cowboys were miles ahead of the teams in their conference and ended up playing a very memorable Super Bowl.  

The next season was a sloppy playoffs with scrubby Buccaneers and Rams teams meeting in a lousy the NFC title game and the Steelers then looking old and tired in the Super Bowl and needing a big 4th quarter to finish off a Rams team that was a shadow of the better Chuck Knox Rams teams of the 1970's.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

That’s where we differ. I REALLY hope I never have to watch Brady in another Super Bowl…..and Mahomes is right behind him. I love seeing new teams in the big game. I thought both the Stafford and Burrow story lines were intriguing. And ….the Stadium looked amazing! 

Oh, I agree on Brady. Enough already with that soulless ghoul!

Mahomes doesn't bother me, and if the Bills aren't in the SB I hope he wins every year that we're not there. 

1. I like Andy Reid

2. The more rings Mahomes gets (ONLY IF WE ARE OUT OF IT THAT SEASON) the more Brady will get to experience what it's like to be sitting on the couch while the "new GOAT" is crowned. 

You can be the GOAT with 4-5 rings if you ALSO retire with every single passing record, career and single season. So being a Brady hater, Mahomes doesn't bother me unless he's in our way. 

• Vomit 2
  • Dislike 1

Seems as though this thread has diverged in two directions:

A -- was the Super Bowl a good/compelling game

B -- did the extra game and playoff team impact the quality of the playoffs

As for A, it was pretty boring.  Cinci was who we thought they were; a big play team with no offensive line, and a so-so defense with a nice pass rusher.  The Rams kept them in it by giving up two big plays and their own lack of weapons after OBJ went down.  23 carries for 43 yards by the Rams.  Riveting.  The Bengals offense in the 2nd half was trash after they got away with the non-facemask on Higgins' TD.  We got a nice made-for-TV dramatic finish that leaves everyone thinking it was a great game, but it wasn't.

As for B, I think the jury is still out.  First weekend of playoffs was full of blowouts.  2nd weekend was amazing.  I don't think the teams were "gassed" I just think it's hard to win a Super Bowl.  I still believe the Bills or Chiefs would have run the Rams out of the stadium.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

A couple observations:

1) This season both #1 seeds came from divisions without another playoff team.   That has happened in shorter seasons too but this time neither was seen as a dominant favorite to reach the SB,  which seemed very unusual.

2) The best teams........I would argue Buff/KC and Tampa/LAR all had 4 game paths to winning the SB and met in the divisional round.    Only the Rams survived..........and barely.

As to point #1.  I am not a fan of only one "bye" team at all.  You pointed out one of the main reasons. 

The schedule already pits top conference teams to play each other every year.  The 17th game adds to that with another

non-conference ranked games.  Every year there will be a team that just draws a much easier schedule to give them a

much better chance to draw the one bye.

Point #2 is a little more tricky.  It can and has happened in the old playoff formula but just the mere fact of adding another playoff

team gives more of a chance for a lower seeded team to win a game they probably should of lost.  Football is one and out and not a

"series" like in other major sports.  I think it waters down the whole process.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought the old 6 team playoff formula was as good as it could get.  All this is caused by attempting

to get another team in the mix with the 7 team scenario.

Adding a 17th or even an 18 game schedule is a whole other question.  The longer season can be debated but it seems they could of done

that with still maintaining the 6 team playoff scenario.  At least that is how I see it.

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I do think that the teams will adjust to the extra game and the lack of a second playoff bye team and it will eventually become an afterthought............but like the rookie wall........I think these teams hit a wall in the championship games and stayed hit.

I do recall the 1978 season when they expanded to 16 games the title games were terrible..........but at the time the Steelers and Cowboys were miles ahead of the teams in their conference and ended up playing a very memorable Super Bowl.  

The next season was a sloppy playoffs with scrubby Buccaneers and Rams teams meeting in a lousy the NFC title game and the Steelers then looking old and tired in the Super Bowl and needing a big 4th quarter to finish off a Rams team that was a shadow of the better Chuck Knox Rams teams of the 1970's.

Just looked up that 1978 AFC championship game. I thought the Bills turning it over 9 times vs the Cowboys in the SB (now talk about a BAD Super Bowl ...) was an unmatchable feat, but my god, the Oilers turned it over 9 times too vs Pitt in that game! Pastorini threw 5 picks and Earl Campbell alone fumbled three times. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197901070pit.htm 

Also, the Rams were almost as bad vs the Cowboys -- they turned it over 7 times. Christ. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197901070ram.htm

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Fun read. My too scents, with the refs perennially backing off calls in the playoffs, it helps fans yearn for the new season as we tend to forget how ‘phugged up’ they really are. League needs to add back the 2 extra playoff byes, regardless how many additional regular season games there are. The 4 best teams watched from home this year.. Heard on the post game show on SiriusXM that Burrows has been sacked 103 times in just his 1st 30 games. Now That’s unsustainable!

Great thread. Great responses.

@streetkings01, @JohnNord please take note of how mature threads are generated and responded to. 🤦‍♂️

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Didn't two of the teams that played like crap have a bye week in the playoffs? Hell the Packers didn't even get to a second game in the playoffs before apparently they were too tired.

My question would be, "does the single bye team in each conference necessarily equate to the BEST team in each conference"?

If the answer is no, then why do these 2 teams get the bye in the first place?

It's always been a bit of a debate, but I think the 7 playoff team/17 game schedule only compounds the issue.

17 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Didn't two of the teams that played like crap have a bye week in the playoffs? Hell the Packers didn't even get to a second game in the playoffs before apparently they were too tired.

As I alluded to.....the two teams that got byes probably weren't worthy #1 seeds.........TN in particular was probably the 4th or even 5th best team in the AFC..........in this case both #1 seeds came from very weak divisions.........whether that also relates to extending the schedule it's hard to say in just one season but when there is only 1 bye the odds that a less deserving team is the only team to benefit from the system is increased.   

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

disagree.  This playoff season had some of the closest wildest games as a whole in memory.  

speaking of memory--it was only a year ago (16 game season) where the playoffs featured a GB blowout of the Rams, Bills beatdown of the Ravens, Bucs spanking the Saints, a decent NFCC game and a KC beatdown of the Bills in the AFCC and a blowout in the SB (Chiefs too tired?).

This playoff season was riveting.  17 games no negative impact.

I'm inclined to agree with this on a whole. I thought it was a great playoff season. I think maybe this SB lacked any real emotional investment from fans. Nobody really loves or hates either of these teams, except their respective markets. At least everyone loved to hate the patriots, or fawn over Mahomes or had a dozen reasons to be invested in any of the other recent Superbowls past;

Most people knew very little of the Bengals outside of Burrows name, and they certainly didn't watch any games during the season. Id question how many fans the Rams have nationally as well.  IDK maybe it's just me but this Superbowl lacked something before the game even started. The game wasn't amazing, I felt it lacked all the high drama of the previous weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, babulator said:

I'm inclined to agree with this on a whole. I thought it was a great playoff season. I think maybe this SB lacked any real emotional investment from fans. Nobody really loves or hates either of these teams, except their respective markets. At least everyone loved to hate the patriots, or fawn over Mahomes or had a dozen reasons to be invested in any of the other recent Superbowls past;

Most people knew very little of the Bengals outside of Burrows name, and they certainly didn't watch any games during the season. Id question how many fans the Rams have nationally as well.  IDK maybe it's just me but this Superbowl lacked something before the game even started. The game wasn't amazing, I felt it lacked all the high drama of the previous weeks.

4th Q lead changes, long, late scoring drive and a game saving D stop in the final seconds.

People used to complain when the SBs were blowouts.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

First of all........I was a proponent of the extra game and I do believe eventually that expanded rosters, 18 games and 2 byes will happen.

But in the first season with both the extra game as well as the 2020-instituted extra playoff team.............I think the mental and physical fatigue really showed at the end.

The NFL got close games..........but for real football fans it was a sloppy finish in both the championship games and SB.   OL and QB play was particularly weak.

A couple observations:

1) This season both #1 seeds came from divisions without another playoff team.   That has happened in shorter seasons too but this time neither was seen as a dominant favorite to reach the SB,  which seemed very unusual.

2) The best teams........I would argue Buff/KC and Tampa/LAR all had 4 game paths to winning the SB and met in the divisional round.    Only the Rams survived..........and barely.

utter carp….

extra game had no baring here.  They changed a pre season to a regular season game. If they go to 18 it will be 2 preseason games only.

as a result you might see

more rust to start the season

pkayers not yet ready from injurues

the games were competing.  The QBs didn’t suck.

over the last 20 seasons of 32 team football you have had teams benefit if they were the dominant team in their divisions

Green Bay season..

4-0 against AFC North. One in OT 2 others came down to late in the game

0-1 to KC with Covid QB

4-1 in division. Lose week 18 game resting players already securing top seed.

4-0 against NFC West. 3 were close games 

1-1 nfc positional games. They likely beat NO if they got them later in the season.

they easily could  have lost 3-4 games with a play here or there.

tennessee…they got their harder teams when they were on a hot streak. Had they played them later in the season they probably wouldn’t have been top seed.

I think the poor showing in the Super Bowl was simply the fact that the Bengals were lucky to be there and are not championship good. The Rams lost several offensive weapons this year and played like they were out of sorts once OBJ went down. The game was ok but not as thrilling as game that has a last minute winning TD should be.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

It was a great Super Bowl. I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say it was sub-par. It was a really hard-fought game that came down to the last minute.

I agree. I think the problem is a lot of people including myself really didn’t give two craps about who would win. I only went for the Rams out of spite. Just don’t want to see Joe burrow when one before Josh Allen.

But really I like the Bengals more than the Rams. So it was just a weird game just not really caring much And rooting against the team I liked and for the team I didn’t like. Pretty rare for that to occur.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

First week of the playoffs had blowouts because the NFC is bad overall and only has like 2-3 good teams, IMO.

Those #7 seeds making it in are tough, but oddly, I think the best possible quality team that could have been #7 in the AFC (Chargers) didn't make it in. 

Yeah if I recall correctly the Chargers and Colts would have both been in the playoffs if the season ended after 16 regular season games.

They would seemed to have provided much better competition in the WC round than sorry-ass Pittsburgh and an uninspiring Oakland team.

The extra game probably actually watered down the field a bit in this instance............though LAC and Indy had their chance and failed to win in week 18.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah if I recall correctly the Chargers and Colts would have both been in the playoffs if the season ended after 16 regular season games.

They would seemed to have provided much better competition in the WC round than sorry-ass Pittsburgh and an uninspiring Oakland team.

The extra game probably actually watered down the field a bit in this instance............though LAC and Indy had their chance and failed to win in week 18.

Losing to Jax in a must win game means that they Indy deserve it. And they didn't just lose; they were dominated. And Staley's inexplicable coaching moves vs both Vegas and KC a couple of weeks before (the ridiculous impulse to go for it every time on fourth down cost them the game) before told me that the Chargers didn't deserve it either. Yeah, they're talented, but if you have a coach who has decided that the common sense wisdom of 75 years of NFL football is all garbage, you really don't deserve to qualify.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.