What did you learn about the Bills from watching Super Bowl LVI?

JohnNord

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

While pointing out the Belichick genius, remember that Norwood missed a game winner that was shorter than KCs game tying kick in that game. 

While true, the Bills also had 2 minutes...

I learned that even with the loses on the offensive side of the ball that a really good defense will keep you in the game & we saw that with the Bills a few times this past year .

The Rams even with the loss of some weapons during the year like Robert Woods, & then OBJ during the game the D kept them right there and in the end Stafford used the weapons he had at his disposal to win the game .

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I learned...or more accurately had it reaffirmed...that every year the game becomes secondary to the ridiculous and over the top peripherals surrounding the game. And I hate it. I generally like Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson but the intros they staged with him and the teams on the field ready for kickoff was just asinine. Congrats, Goodell. You managed to one-up your unnecessary and continued stupidity.

I share your distaste for all the crap surrounding the Super Bowl and The Rock's intro got under my skin too.

Whether we like it or not, we (football enthusiasts) are not the target market for what happens at the Super Bowl, because we will watch the game no matter what happens around the game.  Everything that's different at the Super Bowl is intended for the audience that tunes in once per year to watch the Half-Time show, but more importantly, the commercials that generate $7M for each 30 seconds.  

My 2 cents... ignore the fluff if you don't enjoy it and accept that it wasn't you they were thinking of when they put this event together.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I learned that the AFC remains wide open and there for the taking. 

The Bengal's rode a classic Cinderella season to the Super Bowl. It's unlikely to happen again next season.

Josh Allen was the best QB in the playoffs and it wasn't all that close.

It is striking to me to watch these playoff games and SB with 'top tier' QBs and how most don't even seem in the same league as Josh when you watch them play.  Stafford's 'arm talent'? - looks pedestrian now compared to Josh.  Burrow taking all those sacks - who doesn't think Josh would have somehow found a way to make something positive out of many of those plays.  People will talk about Cincy having a terrible OL but no one talks about what Burrow did (or didn't do) to escape, make something out of nothing etc.  Josh played entire games where his OL was as bad or worse as how Cincy played and just time after time escaped trouble and made positive plays.  What he's done is even more impressive when you look at how other acclaimed QBs play.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

For me, it’s that the Bills have whiffed badly at improving the pass rush over the years and need to address this differently in the off-season.  

Both Cincy and LA were in a similar spot recently and addressed the pass rush with big moves.  

Cincinnati loses their best DE in Carl Lawson and finds a better replacement in FA in Trey Hendrickson.  They also made a big signing in DJ Reader.  Rams signed Leonard Floyd in 2020 and traded for Von Miller this season.  

The Bills have chosen to “draft and develop” which largely hasn’t yielded great results so far.  I’m not very optimistic.  They’ve also invested a lot of money on the defensive line in several players over the years that have struggled to be anything more than average (Star, Murphy, Jefferson, Butler, Addison) etc.  

On a positive note, I learn that Josh Allen is better than both Matthew Stafford and Joe Burrow.  Neither of the QB overly impressed me.

Why does everyone say addison? He has the most tackles on this team. Is anyone watching?

6 minutes ago, Deadstroke said:

The halftime entertainment?  Welp, I did get to spend a half hour watching Fox and Newsmax.  

Gotta be kidding!  Seems to me that most NFL fans just might prefer something else!  🤢

it’s good to get some brain washing at halftime. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

I think people have a bit of a recency bias with Cincinnati.  Buffalo had the same number of sacks, more pressures, more hurries.  CIN also allowed 4222 yards passing vs the 2771 of buffalo, 26 TDs to 12.  CIN had a better rush defense with the big reader deal... better by 1742 yards to 1866 yards.  But the Cincy defense had a higher YPC allowed.  41.6 in 3rd downs vs buffalos 30.8.

That QB pressure on 4th and 1 looked pretty good there....

Before we get too wrapped up in Bills passing against stats, let’s consider a couple of relevant points. 

1). Bills played a bunch of 2nd team qbs. Not 2nd tier but 2nd team backups. 

2) Orchard Park had historically bad weather for Bills games this year. You really think Mac Jones would have 3 passes for 11 yds on a nice sunny day?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

There's nothing I learned about the Bills from watching this game other than the fact they need a better defensive scheme and dominant pass rusher which was the main difference in this game despite the Bengals winning most of the key battles including turnover margin.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

Everything that's different at the Super Bowl is intended for the audience that tunes in once per year to watch the Half-Time show, but more importantly, the commercials that generate $7M for each 30 seconds.  

My 2 cents... ignore the fluff if you don't enjoy it and accept that it wasn't you they were thinking of when they put this event together.

Can't disagree die hard football fans are not the target audience.

A lot of those commercials, our reaction was "Well that's $7M they'll never get back"

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TH3 said:

Well - seems like the betting public doesn't share your gloom and doom....in spite of all the atrocities Mcdermott and Beane have committed....Bills are favorite to win SB next year.

Bills were one of the favorites this year to win it all and they didn't even make the conference Championship game.  

We all want to have better pass rush and bring in a big name but my biggest concerns about that,

1. Our rational line does not help the style of premium pass rushers, yes I know there have been some outliers but a rotational line isn't conducive for the Donald's and hubbards that we are seeing making a difference in the Superbowl. Those game wreckers are more deadly when they get momentum and have the opposing linemans footwork and hand placement memorized by the half. That game ending ending sack by Donald wasn't cuz he was rested like the bills line would be, he knew before the snap exactly how to attack the lineman and it ended the game. I feel our young pass rushers are getting limited snaps and don't get the chance to get a feel for the blocking schemes and adjust their attack, I think we are seeing "this is my one chance here's my best move" I would be willing to bet if you asked any pro pass rusher what would they prefer, limited snaps and be well rested or play the entire game you vs the blocker let's see who's better, they would pick the latter.

2. Is our line rotation attractive to a big name FA? Obviously money is a big factor and competing for a super bowl is huge. But imagine if Donald magically hits the market, and the entire NFL is clamoring for him. He has his pick of any team, what's our sales pitch? We can win a Superbowl, but your gonna be on a rotation so your snap count will drop drastically and your opportunity to add sacks to your resume will drop considerably but you will be well rested when you are on the feild. If I was a big name FA I'm going where I'm on the feild where stacking sack numbers is where you make the cheddar. 

Just my opinion maybe the Superbowl contender will carry more weight but as a big time pass rusher I wouldn't be jumping at a rotational spot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

I learned that even with the loses on the offensive side of the ball that a really good defense will keep you in the game & we saw that with the Bills a few times this past year .

The Rams even with the loss of some weapons during the year like Robert Woods, & then OBJ during the game the D kept them right there and in the end Stafford used the weapons he had at his disposal to win the game .

Good take.  Great QBs can elevate average players around them.  Not so on the defense. You need great players at multiple positions to have a great defense.  Bills lack an élite pass rusher and Edmunds makes no plays.  Do what you can to get a pure pass rusher. I don't care if they can or can't set the edge.  Defending the run is an 11 person job, pass rushing is about winning one on one battles.  Only Bills player that can win one on ones is Hughes.  

1 minute ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

We all want to have better pass rush and bring in a big name but my biggest concerns about that,

1. Our rational line does not help the style of premium pass rushers, yes I know there have been some outliers but a rotational line isn't conducive for the Donald's and hubbards that we are seeing making a difference in the Superbowl. Those game wreckers are more deadly when they get momentum and have the opposing linemans footwork and hand placement memorized by the half. That game ending ending sack by Donald wasn't cuz he was rested like the bills line would be, he knew before the snap exactly how to attack the lineman and it ended the game. I feel our young pass rushers are getting limited snaps and don't get the chance to get a feel for the blocking schemes and adjust their attack, I think we are seeing "this is my one chance here's my best move" I would be willing to bet if you asked any pro pass rusher what would they prefer, limited snaps and be well rested or play the entire game you vs the blocker let's see who's better, they would pick the latter.

2. Is our line rotation attractive to a big name FA? Obviously money is a big factor and competing for a super bowl is huge. But imagine if Donald magically hits the market, and the entire NFL is clamoring for him. He has his pick of any team, what's our sales pitch? We can win a Superbowl, but your gonna be on a rotation so your snap count will drop drastically and your opportunity to add sacks to your resume will drop considerably but you will be well rested when you are on the feild. If I was a big name FA I'm going where I'm on the feild where stacking sack numbers is where you make the cheddar. 

Just my opinion maybe the Superbowl contender will carry more weight but as a big time pass rusher I wouldn't be jumping at a rotational spot.

The McDermott defenders on this board think he learns from his mistakes.  If he does then he will see that having untalented fresh guys doesn't help.  Yes of course every team uses a rotation but not every team committed to it like McD did this year. It was a failure.  The 10 man rotation didn't get the job done and also hindered the development of Basham.  Speed killer speed is what they need at DE.  They need a true edge that can play some OLB in a 4-3 and can pass rush from DE spot in the nickel and dime packages.  

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Good take.  Great QBs can elevate average players around them.  Not so on the defense. You need great players at multiple positions to have a great defense.  Bills lack an élite pass rusher and Edmunds makes no plays.  Do what you can to get a pure pass rusher. I don't care if they can or can't set the edge.  Defending the run is an 11 person job, pass rushing is about winning one on one battles.  Only Bills player that can win one on ones is Hughes.  

I think the Bills could have the talent for a good pass rush if they would throw in some different looks with the players they have . I have always wanted to see them use either Oliver or Edmunds at a DE position in th odd defensive set to rush the passer .

I know a lot of you know more about the in's & out's of this than i do but Oliver has a great first step & is a bit under sized at his position could they move Boogie inside & Oliver out ?? Not all the time but just to throw a screw into the works every once & again through out a game or do the same with Edmunds .

Put AJ inside & him on the outside & do a disguised blitz with Edmunds more in a OLB position . Both of those guys with the influx of Basham, Roseau and maybe even Epanessa could cause a lot of confusion for other HC's if they did some things like this maybe i've lost it but you never know unless you try & i don't see Frazier trying something that off the wall .

1 minute ago, T master said:

I think the Bills could have the talent for a good pass rush if they would throw in some different looks with the players they have . I have always wanted to see them use either Oliver or Edmunds at a DE position in th odd defensive set to rush the passer .

I know a lot of you know more about the in's & out's of this than i do but Oliver has a great first step & is a bit under sized at his position could they move Boogie inside & Oliver out ?? Not all the time but just to throw a screw into the works every once & again through out a game or do the same with Edmunds .

Put AJ inside & him on the outside & do a disguised blitz with Edmunds more in a OLB position . Both of those guys with the influx of Basham, Roseau and maybe even Epanessa could cause a lot of confusion for other HC's if they did some things like this maybe i've lost it but you never know unless you try & i don't see Frazier trying something that off the wall .

I agree.  I wanted Edmunds at De two seasons ago.  

Basham should be a guy that can play 3 tech DT from time to time in the nickel.  If you had a pure edge speed rusher, you can push Basham inside.  Rousseau is too tall to play inside.  Epenesa is just not athletically good enough to play in the NFL.  hated the pick at the time and still hate it.  

For transparency though, I hated the Oliver pick.  However, Oliver has steadily improved. He is nowhere near elite, but he is a serviceable starter and at times very good.  I would pick up his option for sure, but I'm still not sold on giving him an extension.  

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Yes very true.  Beane tried his method of signing several undervalued FA’s rather than taking a big swing.  This typically has worked well on offense with John Brown and Darryl Williams.  It has not been as effective on defense signing players like Star Lotulelei, Trent Murphy, Mario Addison, or Vernon Butler

Maybe we need to overhaul the pro scouting dept. Always thought Monos was pretty good at this.