Rams - opening game of season Bills / Cowboys most likely

CorkScrewHill

The Rams as the winner of the Super Bowl get first game to open season at home PFTalk conjecture is that the most compelling games are Cowboys or Bills. I think 49ers could also factor in. In general I would love to get that one out of the way and gives 10 days to prep for second game is season

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/14/cowboys-bills-strong-candidates-to-open-2022-season-against-rams/

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

America is tired of the Cowboys. Cross them off. Maybe the BIlls, but 49ers, or Green Bay, would also be interesting. And I would not count out the Patriots. However, trying to be unbiased here, I do think the Rams vs. Bills would have a strong national appeal.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, CSBill said:

America is tired of the Cowboys. Cross them off. Maybe the BIlls, but 49ers, or Green Bay, would also be interesting. And I would not count out the Patriots. However, trying to be unbiased here, I do think the Rams vs. Bills would have a strong national appeal.

They don't play the Packers or the Patriots

• Like (+1) 1

It will most likely not be the Bills.  

Since 2004 and the Super Bowl champs starting the season - only twice has the game been AFC versus NFC (2007 and 2016).

They nearly always make it a compelling intra-conference game as the NFL tries to make the majority of week 1 and 2 games intra-division when possible and intra-conference when not.

2 out of 17 puts the odds right around 10% and dropping as it is so rare.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It will most likely not be the Bills.  

Since 2004 and the Super Bowl champs starting the season - only twice has the game been AFC versus NFC (2007 and 2016).

They nearly always make it a compelling intra-conference game as the NFL tries to make the majority of week 1 and 2 games intra-division when possible and intra-conference when not.

2 out of 17 puts the odds right around 10% and dropping as it is so rare.

The problem is there are not many compelling NFC matchups because the NFC kinda stinks. If it isn't Rams v Niners then it has to be an AFC team IMO. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, harryS said:

has a team ever opened in two consecutive seasons, without being the Super Bowl winner in either?

No, BUT the NFL usually  doesn't like Inter-Conference games on Opening Night. Only 3 times in the last 20 years has the NFL Kickoff game been between 2 Intra-Conference teams and non in the last 5 years.

With that being said it could be due for a Inter-Conference game and Bills vs Rams would be a great one.

Cowboys opened last year (over the Bills). I don't think the league can justify putting them in again. Broncos will depend on Rodgers. If he is in Colorado then they have a chance. Think it's down to the 49ers and Bills really. And with the postseason Allen just had they would be wise to put the Superstar in a game to start off the year

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Cowboys opened last year (over the Bills). I don't think the league can justify putting them in again. Broncos will depend on Rodgers. If he is in Colorado then they have a chance. Think it's down to the 49ers and Bills really. And with the postseason Allen just had they would be wise to put the Superstar in a game to start off the year

Agreed with Buffalo. I also think the NFL would be mindful of Kroenke's complaints of 49'ers fans taking over the stadium, so I doubt it's SF. And it's been over 10 years since there was a conference championship game rematch for the opener.

Over on the 506 forums, the Bills are the overwhelming favorites. Some have also said if Rodgers goes to Denver, they could also be in play (as you stated too).

[registration and moderator approval required:]

https://506forums.com/index.php?topic=24459.0

Here are the nine choices for the Rams' opener, btw:

Seattle

SF

Arizona

Dallas

Carolina

Atlanta

Denver

Las Vegas

Buffalo

Edited by chongli

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That would be an epic start to the season.  I’d definitely drive over for that one. That said, we’ll probably play the @ jets

Yeah, on the 506 forums, they said the Bills Mafia might take over the stadium.

1 hour ago, Process said:

They don't play the Packers or the Patriots

Well, they play the Packers, but at Green Bay, so they are off the list (only once, in 2013, was the defending SB champion away for the opener, and that was only due to a schedule conflict). So, you're basically correct in that the Packers are a no-go.

Edited by chongli

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.