Who would you rather be?

FireChans

Who would you rather be?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. The last 10 years of the Steelers or the Eagles?

• Steelers
    • Eagles

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

I see a lot of “building to win now and win in the future.” I’m sitting here thinking, WTF are you people talking about?

so it’s time for the great poll. The Steelers were perennial playoff teams for the last decade. Sure one or two lost seasons where the QB got hurt but overall a successful decade of football. Zero Super Bowl wins.

The Eagles had a much worse decade overall. A couple playoff berths but mostly not great. A couple different HC’s, QB’s, etc. but they won the big one.

PS: if you pick the Steelers, you’re an insane person.

Ahem.  You conveniently ignored the KC Chiefs to create a false dichotomy that's reminiscent of arguments from back in the early 2000s when conventional "wisdom" claimed that the salary cap would prevent the development of dynasties.

In the last 10 years (2012-2021), the Chiefs have had 8 double digit win seasons, 8 playoff appearances, 4 conference championship appearances, 2 Super Bowl appearances, a Super Bowl win ... and they are still loaded to be a force in the AFC.

Over the last decade, the Chiefs not only "built for the future" but they've strategically employed the "win now" concept, too.  It's the same strategy that the Pats employed to dominate the AFC and the NFL for 2 decades.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You are a terrible troll 

Name one person who says they'd rather lose all four then win one

Everyone who picked the Steelers in this poll.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Your analogy has basically nothing to do with your questions. The examples in your poll are completely irrelevant to the question you ask. Your whole first sentence is completely obscure.

The whole thing is somewhere between missed the point and pointless.

If I just ignore whatever your point is early on and just look at the question ... for a Bills fan it has to be about Super Bowls. If you look at the last ten years, the Eagles. If you look at the last twenty years, the Steelers. Of course.

But that's got nothing to do with how good the teams were and for how long. It's purely about Super Bowl wins.

Awesome, we agree. It’s the Eagles

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Ahem.  You conveniently ignored the KC Chiefs to create a false dichotomy that's reminiscent of arguments from back in the early 2000s when conventional "wisdom" claimed that the salary cap would prevent the development of dynasties.

In the last 10 years (2012-2021), the Chiefs have had 8 double digit win seasons, 8 playoff appearances, 4 conference championship appearances, 2 Super Bowl appearances, a Super Bowl win ... and they are still loaded to be a force in the AFC.

Over the last decade, the Chiefs not only "built for the future" but they've strategically employed the "win now" concept, too.  It's the same strategy that the Pats employed to dominate the AFC and the NFL for 2 decades.

I didn’t conveniently forget anyone. You missed the point. I’d rather win one and then kinda suck than be good and never win one. 

of course I’d love to be the new Pats. 

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I didn’t conveniently forget anyone. You missed the point. I’d rather win one and then kinda suck than be good and never win one. 

Ignorance is bliss.  Success is NOT a black/white scenario where a team either wins the Super Bowl or fails.  In order to create that black/white scenario, you rank team building philosophy as an overriding factor, and then, you cherry picked teams and time period to fit your scenario, which in your ignorance, you think represent the far ends of the team building philosophical spectrum but really don't.    

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

I see a lot of “building to win now and win in the future.” I’m sitting here thinking, WTF are you people talking about?

so it’s time for the great poll. The Steelers were perennial playoff teams for the last decade. Sure one or two lost seasons where the QB got hurt but overall a successful decade of football. Zero Super Bowl wins.

The Eagles had a much worse decade overall. A couple playoff berths but mostly not great. A couple different HC’s, QB’s, etc. but they won the big one.

So....draft a future journeyman QB in the 1st round, then plow through the playoffs to a SB win with another journeyman backup QB?  

Sounds like a plan!

• Haha (+1) 1

Considering I'm not 10 years old, I'd rather be the Steelers fan (not the Steelers since most of them weren't with the team for 10 years) because I know I'm not on the team.  So, responding as a fan, I would have memories of multiple Super Bowl wins going back to the Bradshaw era as well as the Roethlisberger era.  Meanwhile, as an Eagle fan, I'd only have 1 Super Bowl season.  

Anyone who picks the Eagles is either 10 years old or is thinking like one. 

PS: I'm a Yankees fan & even though the Yankees haven't won a World Series since 2009, I have a lot of great memories of many world championships. So because I'm not 10 years old I'd rather be a Yankee fan than of any other team.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Ignorance is bliss.  Success is NOT a black/white scenario where a team either wins the Super Bowl or fails.  In order to create that black/white scenario, you rank team building philosophy as an overriding factor, and then, you cherry picked teams and time period to fit your scenario, which in your ignorance, you think represent the far ends of the team building philosophical spectrum but really don't.    

I mean 50% of Bills fans who voted in this poll would rather make the playoffs a bunch than win a Super Bowl. That’s pretty incredible don’t you think

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

Fair enough. I don’t agree and I don’t understand but hey different strokes.

I personally don’t care about hope if it results in no championship. Had enough of that in Bills land.

But you forget the Bills have AFC east Championships which those are championships no matter what way you look at it sure i do want a SB Championship in the end but i will take what i can get until then because the prior 17 years really sucked so i'm looking at the glass half full scenario .

GO BILLS !!! 

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

So Nick Foles was their win now at all cost plan?

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Everyone who picked the Steelers in this poll.

Awesome, we agree. It’s the Eagles

The Steelers won 2 Super Bowls using a long term strategy. The Eagles won one and imploded...

Eagles.

I have seen some great Bills teams and some wannabees.

I survived the seventies.

I survived the playoff drought.

I enjoyed the years they were competitive and I love them today.

I have been waiting for an NFL Championship for a long time. IF the Bills win it all next year, it will be 57 years.

What is the point of the question again?. 

12 hours ago, FireChans said:

Would I rather be like the Steelers who have won 2/3 Super Bowls in the last 17 years or the Eagles that have won 1?

Is this supposed to be a hard question?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

My guess is that if the Bills would have won the SB right before the 17 year drought started (or at any time), every one of us would have been just as miserable during that period as we were without a SB win - and this board would still have the complete meltdowns it has every time a game doesn't end the way we want.

I made a post on here the day after the drought ended that basically said, don't hate the drought, it is part of what makes being a sports fan so rewarding. You suffer, you suffer more than you delight. You feel every one of your team's heartbreaks and it makes those glory moments all the sweeter and all the more special. Think about how you felt when Tyler Boyd scored. Would you have felt that same level of ecstasy if the Bills had only been out of the playoffs for 3 years at that point? Of course you wouldn't. There was 17 years worth of disappointment, hurt, regret that was suddenly released in that moment. Think about how you felt humiliating the Patriots in the playoffs. Don't tell me that didn't feel sweeter because of the years of suffering at the hands of that team. The same when the Bills finally get over the hump in the playoffs, and I remain certain that they will, it will feel so much better because of the image of Diggs watching the confetti fall and because of 13 seconds. 

@BADOLBILZ remind us a lot on here that supporting sports teams should be fun. And he is right. And that means enjoying the disappointments if that isn't a contradiction. It doesn't mean you should want you team to be bad, or not criticize them when they are but we watch sports because they are unpredictable. The best team does not always win, more often than not you end up disappointed. But there are few things in life that match those moments when you are not. You have to enjoy the ride. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I mean 50% of Bills fans who voted in this poll would rather make the playoffs a bunch than win a Super Bowl. That’s pretty incredible don’t you think

The first key is to make the playoffs. Make the playiffs 10 years in a row you set yourself up to go on a run and win one 10 times.

If Perine catches that 4th down pass last night I believe the talk of today is that the Rams were fools for throwing everything away for 1 year. How the investment in OBJ backfired as soon in as he got hurt. 

Going all in is still not guaranteed. We have seen teams do this year after year and the end result is bad more than good. 

You toss your future into this year and suffer a few injuries. A few bad bounces of the ball or...hey how about a few bad calls by officials....and your major investment fizzles, you are mediocre at BEST for the next few years and your miss cashing in with a guy like Josh Allen.

There really should be a nice mix. Invest in the draft. Also, sign a few key guys in the offseason that fit what you do. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Neither?

Both?

😆

Seriously, the Eagles didn't go "all-in" "going for broke" "boom or bust." They were trying to employ a sustainable model but it fell apart.

This question should pertain to the Steelers (also Packers, Ravens, Patriots) versus the Rams approach.

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Both?

😆

Seriously, the Eagles didn't go "all-in" "going for broke" "boom or bust." They were trying to employ a sustainable model but it fell apart.

Agree. This is correct in fact they only started making some boom or bust type cap decisions as it began to fall apart and they were trying to sticky plaster it together. Until then the roster management was decent. 

3 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Both?

😆

This question should pertain to the Steelers (also Packers, Ravens, Patriots) versus the Rams approach.

and the Rams have been to the SB multiple times in that span, a superior example in every way, no clue what he's thinking with the Eagles besides they won 1 and became terrible.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I made a post on here the day after the drought ended that basically said, don't hate the drought, it is part of what makes being a sports fan so rewarding. You suffer, you suffer more than you delight. You feel every one of your team's heartbreaks and it makes those glory moments all the sweeter and all the more special. Think about how you felt when Tyler Boyd scored. Would you have felt that same level of ecstasy if the Bills had only been out of the playoffs for 3 years at that point? Of course you wouldn't. There was 17 years worth of disappointment, hurt, regret that was suddenly released in that moment. Think about how you felt humiliating the Patriots in the playoffs. Don't tell me that didn't feel sweeter because of the years of suffering at the hands of that team. The same when the Bills finally get over the hump in the playoffs, and I remain certain that they will, it will feel so much better because of the image of Diggs watching the confetti fall and because of 13 seconds. 

@BADOLBILZ remind us a lot on here that supporting sports teams should be fun. And he is right. And that means enjoying the disappointments if that isn't a contradiction. It doesn't mean you should want you team to be bad, or not criticize them when they are but we watch sports because they are unpredictable. The best team does not always win, more often than not you end up disappointed. But there are few things in life that match those moments when you are not. You have to enjoy the ride. 

Well said my friend. :beer:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.