What needs to be done to get us here?

Awwufelloff

A more aggressive defensive scheme and a play maker or two on defense.  Not even all-pro type guys.  Just some marginal improvement.  I thought Edmunds was going to become one but he's not.  He has all the physical tools but his instincts just seem to run him out of the play too often.  Maybe he'd be better or even excel in a 3-4 alignment defense?  Draft a CB 1st or 2nd round opposite White.  Maybe one of the 1st or 2nd year players transforms into a top player but the clocks ticking here and the window is open right now.

Its hard to argue for improvements for an offense that scores 30+ points the majority of the game but interior line upgrades.  

The other thing is this.  Josh Allen is a superstar.  You might disagree with me but I think without Josh this might be a 6 or 7 win team.  Just that means you've got to protect him better and minimize the hits he takes.  Upgrade the offensive line for protection and dump those designed QB runs.  That means get a big physical back to compliment Singletary.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

They have to go after difference makers like the Rams did.  You can’t just stand pat.  Take a risk.  This franchise did it in the late 80s with the trade for Cornelius Bennet.  They also added James Lofton, who, although older and not as much of a difference maker, still was a significant impact over the Chris Burketts and Trumaine Johnson-types.

This is a popular narrative today.  I don't buy it.  Hit on your draft picks, don't trade 1st rounders for expensive "name guys".  If there's a deal to be had, sure pull the trigger..   NO 1st rounders unless you're trading for a top notch QB(like the Rams did), and the Bills don't need one.

Keep investing in both lines. Rams showed what having a dominant dline can do for you and Bengals showed what having a poor oline can do for you.

Offensively we’re 2 good guards and an explosive RB away from being the best offense in the NFL, defensively we’re a stud pass rusher away from being the defense we need to be to win it all. Addison and Hughes can go…..I’d find a way to get Chandler Jones in here on 1-2 year deal and re-sign Obada. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

A more aggressive defensive scheme and a play maker or two on defense.  Not even all-pro type guys.  Just some marginal improvement.  I thought Edmunds was going to become one but he's not.  He has all the physical tools but his instincts just seem to run him out of the play too often.  Maybe he'd be better or even excel in a 3-4 alignment defense?  Draft a CB 1st or 2nd round opposite White.  Maybe one of the 1st or 2nd year players transforms into a top player but the clocks ticking here and the window is open right now.

We need guys that play with more intensity on D.  Aside from seeing Edmunds out of position on every other play I'm also so sick of seeing him just stop pursuing mid way through plays.  Never puts his hands up to deflect passes even when the ball is thrown 6 inches over his head.   The guy is an utter letdown.   

Also pretty sad that we can't have an Aaron Donald caliber player on the DL with the amount of draft picks we've wasted there the last few years.  

Maybe it is just the Defensive coaching....

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BILLieve85 said:

And even streamline the defense to play our best players

Offense too. It took forever to realize that Bates was the best option at guard. Was reluctant to play Lil Dirty. Even benched him for games. Gabe was given limited opportunities early. Kept trying the RB by committee stuff. But yeah, they have to go all in for a disruptor on the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

He already did that the last two times. He was cowardly conservative against KC in the AFCCG and a boneheaded moron in the Divisional playoff against KC. Let's see what Hell he'll put us through this time.

When playing the Chiefs I wonder if Any Reid has McDermott sync'd out of something?  Andy's Jedi mind tricks from across the field! 

I hear the excuse about learning from the experience of failure but in real life you also need to be able to visualize potential outcomes and have some foresight into how your actions might play out.  

Like you don't have to pick a fight with an MMA champion to "learn" from the experience that engaging in that confrontation is going to result in getting the crap kicked out of you.  Use your imagination, and think.  That's all it is,  Leslie and Sean, think! 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Basically this. In terms of development if Ed Oliver just takes another half step from being a disrupter up front to being a guy that finishes better and Groot takes a step to even being a 7 or 8 sack guy then the front is not far away. They need Tre back near his best and to improve that corner room around him. 

On offense that is where the draft well really comes in. Improve the blocking for Josh and commit to getting younger in the pass catching corps. 

And then it just comes down to coaching and executing the big moments better. Obviously the 13 seconds comes to mind but the end of the game in Tennessee, the end of the game in Tampa, the end of the home game v New England... the Bills have to play those clutch moments better in 2022. 

Oh and get a better punter. Haack sucks. 

You forgot, how did we ever lose to the dumpster fire that was the Jags this year, pretty sure that game alone cost us being at home vs. KC in the playoffs.

On offense

WR - a true #1 or 1A to go with Diggs. Saunders may retire and who knows if Beasley will be back.

RB - an upgrade from Singletary would be nice

OL - always look to improve the lines

On defense

DE - need an impact player to improve the rush.

CB - need someone opposite Tre and that's assuming Tre comes back 100%

NT - need a run stuffer. Like with the OL keep improving the lines.

11 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Find our Copper Kupp or Tyreke Hill…

Much rather find a edge rusher than can give us 10+ sacks and disrupt a game. Maybe Rousseau develops into that but he seems more like a very solid guy rather than a dominant guy.

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Much rather find a edge rusher than can give us 10+ sacks and disrupt a game. Maybe Rousseau develops into that but he seems more like a very solid guy rather than a dominant guy.

Fine. Go sign one or make a trade. No more high picks on edge rushers. I have next to zero faith Beane can find an edge worthy of a high pick. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.