What needs to be done to get us here?

Awwufelloff

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

The talent on the team is good enough to win. The glaring weakness is situational coaching by McDermott. Not sure if there's any remedy to that. It's not unreasonable to say he literally stole a super bowl from us this year.

It’s heartbreaking looking back on it now.  I really like him as a leader , a good human being who honestly seems to care about his players. But the crazy insistence on that d line rotation , where even a potential Bruce Smith would see no more than 45% of snaps , and his enabling by Frazier who can’t seem to become adept at in game adjustments after being together so long is a big issue. I hope that loss doesn’t end up being his legacy; it just is hard to ignore the coaching gaffs that have happened at one point or another in the 4 playoff losses that have ended our seasons. Many of those happened in reg season games too, but there it’s not one and out!  

You can’t be experienced in every possible scenario, and while he has grown as a HC , that last 13 sec meltdown just can’t happen.  You’re a pro , an NFL HC , and you can’t choke with years of preparation under your belt. That’s like a cardiologist forgetting protocols while running a code , its second nature at that level and pretty much inexcusable. Good thing its only a game and no one’s life depends on good defensive coaching !  Lol ! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A lot of work is going to be done to the Receiving Core with Emmanuel Sanders and Isaiah McKenzie Free Agents, Emmanuel possibly retiring and Isaiah sounding gone. Cole most likely also being gone unless he does a complete restructure.

Need another Tight End. Knox took a step forward but we have literally nothing else there.

Same thing can be said about the RB position. Singletary stepped up at the end of the season. But we're nowhere with Zack Moss and Matt Breida's a FA, probably one and done. Need something else there.

Rousseau showed promise, but he's not a Game Changer yet. Epenesa's JAG and Basham was a healthy scratch most of the season. All 3 will be here, but lacking a stud, and with Hughes, Addison, and Obada are all FA's - The Defensive End position needs another overhaul. With the lack of FA's at the position and having gone the drafting route taking 3 1st or 2nd rounders in the past two years, i'd be looking at who's available in the Trade market.

Losing Tre White proved that having only one stud CB is not enough. Especially to compete against Mahomes and the Chiefs. Levi isn't that and he's a FA. Need to try and upgrade the CB position.

Long story short, a lot more work needs to be done than people realize. It's going to be a very interesting offseason. One in which Beane has no choice but to be much more active than he was in 2021.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

This is my takeaway on the 2021 Bills. 

I think the team was overrated talent wise especially up front on both sides of the ball.  

And Josh going in to the season was still very UNDERRATED.  I can't say enough what he does and means to this team.  He's one of the 5 best players in the league put them in any dam order you want but I'm taking him first when starting my team.  

Now, in 4 games this year we were lit up - Titans, Colts, Bucs, Chiefs playoffs.  I know we think beating Cincy at home was a given and I agree.....but was it really a given?  All things happen for a reason I do believe that and maybe after winning like that vs the Chiefs only to lose at home to Cincy now that would have crushed us probably worse then we have been feeling.  Instead we get to walk away feeling like we were the best.  

Which is good......but it concerns me we will avoid again an honest evaluation of the talent level on D.  We're a Milano injury away going into 2022 from being a bottom 10 defense vs good offenses.  

And our "needs" keep piling up.  What are they?   In order:

1. Rousseau Basham Oliver Harry AJ have to make leaps.  Oliver has but this group wasn't good enough - too young and the vets weren't good enough.  If we think this core can't get it done, you need to do something.  

2. We need to find one more WR we can rely on to add to the only 2 guys I see us having back.  Diggs and Davis

3. A CB 1b to fill in for White

4. Shore up interior OL

5. A RB to compliment or start over Motor

6. Edmonds.  Extend him or trade him for draft capital or a move up in the draft for that top CB.  Sign a stop gap, draft an MLB.  They need to figure that out now.  

7. Another TE to compliment Knox

8. A good backup to Josh - no idea here

That's your 2022 off season.  Move heaven and earth to get it done - especially #2 and #3

2 hours ago, QB Bills said:

The talent on the team is good enough to win. The glaring weakness is situational coaching by McDermott. Not sure if there's any remedy to that. It's not unreasonable to say he literally stole a super bowl from us this year.

Like @doc said, a game wrecker on defense will hide all of McDermott coaching deficiencies. 

They have to go after difference makers like the Rams did.  You can’t just stand pat.  Take a risk.  This franchise did it in the late 80s with the trade for Cornelius Bennet.  They also added James Lofton, who, although older and not as much of a difference maker, still was a significant impact over the Chris Burketts and Trumaine Johnson-types.

Lots of great ideas here. One thing throughout this year stands out to me. The Bills were often the more talented team, but for some reason found themselves playing flat during prolonged stretches in the regular season.

The opener vs the Steelers. The fourth at the Titans. First half vs the Fins. The entire Jags and Colts games. The first half at Tampa. Maybe it was coaching, players, hunger, not taking the game for granted, idk. But it can’t happen anymore. The Bills are going to be 10-12 other teams Super Bowl game each year from now on, if we weren’t before. 

But, I have a feeling JA17 is gonna be on eff you mode the rest of his career now. He and we knew he and the team was good to great, now the entire league is on notice. This team will have the talent and attract the talent to stay near the top. But it’s not always about talent. 

The deciding factor is going to be McDermott and how willing he is to decouple any influence from the offense and let JA17 call his shots. And even streamline the defense to play our best players. Like what Marv did with JK12. Until that happens, I think we see the ceiling being the same as we experienced this year

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

More depth at cb…Frazier takes a lot of flak here but we had a decent cb2 playing cb1 after white went down and a 7th round pick playing cb2.

But that’s literally half the league after playing 17 weeks. And teams without depth aren’t playing beyond that, while we were! Our secondary depth was fine, but the lack of adjustments (say added blitzing to cover many mistakes of youth at corner) just hasn’t been there. No team has pro bowlers sitting on the bench and it’s no realistic to think that. Most of this is coaching and adjustments, something that has been solely lacking once McDermott’s initial plan is disrupted and goes out the window

55 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Kupp can get double teamed like tonight and still win the mvp. Diggs getting doubled in KC disappeared. Love Stefon but next season is the time to step it up. 

Great point. I do think tho the refs suddenly changed on that last drive and they threw flags on almost every Kupp play making actually taking him away almost impossible. We never quite seem to get favorable calls like those that saved that Rams drive from the 10 yard line in.  Watching Eli Apple get burned was not a surprise but it brought flashbacks of Milano turning and chasing Kelce on that walk off td.  I don’t get knowing they were going to Kupp almost exclusively and yet not having someone facing forward playing for a fade while Apple trailed. Again tho, might not have mattered cuz as soon as Kupp was touched the flags suddenly flew. Had been a relatively good called game until those last three min.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

More star talent on both sides of the ball.

Bills need one more Josh Allen types at other positions on both sides of the ball IMO.

Sadly that won’t likely happen unless we hit flash in the pan draft wise. It goes back to trading down in 2017, and then not being bad enough to be closer to the top of the draft in 2018. The players have now are just that, it’s what we have.

We will need to find draft guys that exceed expectations and can develop into pro bowlers. Look at Gabe Davis and Milano to an extent. Mid rounders playing far about draft slot. Or sign bets at their last exit on the train. We will not have the cap room (relative to percentage that other teams will) to sign difference makers, nor the draft capital to position into top talent. 

26 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

They have to go after difference makers like the Rams did.  You can’t just stand pat.  Take a risk.  This franchise did it in the late 80s with the trade for Cornelius Bennet.  They also added James Lofton, who, although older and not as much of a difference maker, still was a significant impact over the Chris Burketts and Trumaine Johnson-types.

26 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

From 2018 to 2020, we did this.

Morse

Brown

Beasley 

Star

Butler 

Williams 

Klein

Diggs

Sanders 

Then we ran it back in 21 but chose to overcompensate D line at the draft.  And ignored everything else - because you see some of those names above are taking up cap space.  Not upgrading the D line proved a mistake or adding one more CB.  But did we try to get Watt?  Or Hendrickson?  Von Miller in trade?  

This window (there are windows but when they close you need to figure out how to open a new one) has 1 year left before another reset as more cap room opens, Josh's contract kicks in fully, and the draft classes of 20-22 better emerge and we build around another core.  Going to be a lot of turnover everywhere by 2023.   

Edited by Big Blitz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.