Super Bowl Post Game Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

12 hours ago, Success said:

If I'm a Bengals fan, I'm not thinking about the one bad call. I'm thinking about all of the chances the Bengals had in the 2nd half to put that game away.  When they got that pick early in the 2nd half, they were in perfect position to go up by 2 scores - which would have basically secured the victory in that game.

True but Aaron Donald said no freaking way.  Unreal sack on that 3rd down to hold them to a field goal.

• Like (+1) 1

My thoughts on the game. 

Two very good teams but not the best, the Bills v Chiefs game featured the 2 best teams in the NFL.  

Media built up Burrow quite a bit, which was expected.  

Bengals defense surprised me.  They were better than anyone thought versus KC and LA. 

Halftime show -  it was ok.  I don’t care for the rap/ hip hop genre but it was their turn and they did a decent job.  

Donald was a beast and showed what an impact player on defense can do to carry a team.  

Zebras -  I has glad they didn’t  call many penalties so as not to impact the game.  Unfortunately, the two missed calls really did impact the game.  Flagrant offensive PI gave the Bengals a TD to start the 2nd half.  A bad PI call on Bengals on 3rd and goal from the 8 may have given Rams the game. After 56 Super Bowls the NFL still needs to figure out what PI is and then be consistent on it.  That last PI was a shameful call and looked suspicious to me.  

LA -  the most over blown big market in the NFL got their win.  Outrageous ticket prices.  Most regular fans could not even afford to park there, let alone get into the stadium, making this game an event for the elite.   The Kroenke stadium is unattainable by so many markets, making me afraid for the future of football in small markets.  

Small markets -  no one on national media is mentioning a thing about Cincinnati.  To the winner go the spoils.  

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

After day to digest that lackluster Super Bowl with it's milk toast QB performance, I just think the whole world got robbed of the opportunity to see what kind of complete savage Josh Allen is. 

This. 

Going to take me a while to not be completely bitter towards this defense/coaching staff.  We would be Super Bowl Champs, with Josh Allen recognized as the best QB in the league, if not for their incompetence. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Zebras -  I has glad they didn’t  call many penalties so as not to impact the game.  Unfortunately, the two missed calls really did impact the game.  Flagrant offensive PI gave the Bengals a TD to start the 2nd half.  A bad PI call on Bengals on 3rd and goal from the 8 may have given Rams the game. After 56 Super Bowls the NFL still needs to figure out what PI is and then be consistent on it.  That last PI was a shameful call and looked suspicious to me. 

The call on 3rd and 8 from the Cincy 8 was "Defensive Holding" not DPI.

Here is the play

And again:

Recall DH is holding the receiver beyond 5 yds from the LOS, before the ball is thrown; once the ball is thrown it becomes DPI.

It appears to me that Logan Wilson has his L arm in front of Kupp, impeding his motion as he makes his cut.  The 2 refs on the sideline are in position to have a better view of this than the camera angle in the above clip.  Then as Kupp accelerates, Wilson reaches out with his right arm and hooks around Kupp's right side. 

I think this is pretty textbook defensive holding.

I thought the call was weak sauce, but not because of  the penalty (which again, was DH not DPI) was "a bad call" - it wasn't - but because the refs had not been making DH and DPI calls for the previous 58 minutes.

The "beef" is in your point that for the integrity of the game, the NFL needs to be consistent - both from game to game (def. not - see AFCCG vs SB last season) and worse, within games (first 58 minutes of this year SB vs last 2 minutes)

The DPI penalty called two plays later again appears to be legit DPI by rule, the controversy emerges because these calls simply were not being made earlier in the game.

No sympathy for the Bengals here since they were pretty well gifted a touchdown by an uncalled face mask/OPI right after the half.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The call on 3rd and 8 from the Cincy 8 was "Defensive Holding" not DPI.

Here is the play

And again:

Recall DH is holding the receiver beyond 5 yds from the LOS, before the ball is thrown; once the ball is thrown it becomes DPI.

It appears to me that Logan Wilson has his L arm in front of Kupp, impeding his motion as he makes his cut.  The 2 refs on the sideline are in position to have a better view of this than the camera angle in the above clip.  Then as Kupp accelerates, Wilson reaches out with his right arm and hooks around Kupp's right side. 

I think this is pretty textbook defensive holding.

I thought the call was weak sauce, but not because of  the penalty (which again, was DH not DPI) was "a bad call" - it wasn't - but because the refs had not been making DH and DPI calls for the previous 58 minutes.

The "beef" is in your point that for the integrity of the game, the NFL needs to be consistent - both from game to game (def. not - see AFCCG vs SB last season) and worse, within games (first 58 minutes of this year SB vs last 2 minutes)

The DPI penalty called on

That play hadn't been called holding all game long. But they completely whiffed on OPI / facemask that resulted in a Bengals TD. 

It was a make up call, the Rams still had to score the TD. And the Bengals had every opportunity to at least get into fg range and tie the game. 

No qualms with the call. 

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This. 

Going to take me a while to not be completely bitter towards this defense/coaching staff.  We would be Super Bowl Champs, with Josh Allen recognized as the best QB in the league, if not for their incompetence. 

C'mon man.

We would still have had to defeat the Bengals - which the Chiefs didn't manage - and the Rams.

Could we have done so, Certainly, but it's by no means the given you imply if those 13 seconds fell our way.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

C'mon man.

We would still have had to defeat the Bengals - which the Chiefs didn't manage - and the Rams.

Could we have done so, Certainly, but it's by no means the given you imply.

Agree to disagree.  I'm very confident we would have beaten Cinci at home and LA in the Super Bowl.  

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So was KC

Oh, I know.. but let Cinci deploy that 3 man rush against Allen and see how that plays out.  

Rams likely would've been a higher scoring affair, but I just don't see them outscoring our Offense with the way Allen was playing. 

• Agree 1

Apparently Andrew Whitworth's 7 year old daughter found the game a bit dull

image.thumb.png.e6e9824df259ec90617f684609f002bf.png

https://www.yahoo.com/now/rams-star-proud-dad-andrew-165016427.html

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

LA is such a weird team on offense. They disappear for long stretches in most games I watch of theirs. 

I don't agree with the folks who claim Burrows didn't make one elite throw etc etc

But

I did come away less impressed with either QB than I expected to be

Yes of course, they both made some beautiful throws at times, as @syhuang linked above

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.