Super Bowl Post Game Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, simpleman said:

Yes. When the officials suddenly started calling everything they could against Cinci in the last 2 minutes, when the Rams needed a TD to win, while letting almost anything goes by either team previously during the rest of the game.  I thought about the WWE's style of entertainment, rather than the sport.

It ended like it started. A former WWE star imitating an WWE announcer. And it ended with the NFL officials giving the RAMS more and more chances to score, whenever they missed on their previous chances. Until they finally won it. 

I knew the NFL had identical values to the WWE's values about the integrity of the sport. I also thought about Bench still being banned in baseball, while the NFL is actively all in on profits from gambling. Integrity of the sport be dammed.

These weren't phantom calls/no-calls though.  You interrupted a route to kupp, and the PI in the end zone was pretty textbook in that he got there early and was playing the player not the ball.  

Ok game..not great, but close and tense at the end.  

Glad Stafford/Rams won.  

Still bitter that Josh Allen wasn't in that game, and I couldn't stomach Joe Burrow winning a Super Bowl with a postseason in which his level of play was a notch above game manager.  

• Agree 2

the rams clearly are and were the better team, they dominated the cinci oline, were just monsters on 3rd down, and manufactured scores with a mash unit of WRs.  but boy oh boy do they make a lot of mistakes.  the one long TD was pretty clear OPI, but the number of just bad throws to covered guys short of the sticks hitting the ground, the Bengals WR just snaking through coverage and guys turning the wrong way, and sloppy special teams make me think they aren't a focused and disciplined unit overall.

id like the athletic or someone to cover exactly what changed for the rams DL in the 2nd half, and late in the 2nd half it seemed.  they went from not doing much to destroying the hapless bengals.

36 minutes ago, dneveu said:

These weren't phantom calls/no-calls though.  You interrupted a route to kupp, and the PI in the end zone was pretty textbook in that he got there early and was playing the player not the ball.  

That holding call on Kupp was about as sketchy and ticky tack as you can get. You can't let those things happen all game long and then with 2 mins left, let's call everything under the sun. 

9 minutes ago, Steptide said:

That holding call on Kupp was about as sketchy and ticky tack as you can get. You can't let those things happen all game long and then with 2 mins left, let's call everything under the sun. 

Flag came from the back judge, and as kupp pushes into his route 55 extends his left arm into the front of Kupps jersey while also putting his right arm on Kupps hip and holds him up.  A lot of contact about 6 yards down the field and you didn't let him run his route.  

Edited by dneveu

Refs in this game have done the same thing others have done all season....ignore OTs moving early.  It is a trend that the OTs are moving back into pass blocking ahead of the snap.  It was pointed out early in the season and I saw it in the Bills home game versus Miami.  Wonder why this has been allowed.  

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Is handing the ball to Perine on 3rd and 1 the worst Super Bowl play call in recent history?

I had watched some Bengals games last year and thought Zac Taylor made some awful calls and was overall a bad coach. I'm impressed he somehow made it to the Super Bowl but what on earth was that? He did the exact same thing earlier in the game on 3rd and 1 and you could tell a run play was coming from a mile away both times! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

That was vehemently debated in the party I was at. I was the lone person saying it was more Stafford's fault than the receivers

At worst 50/50....  If it was Josh then he threw it too hard or led the receiver too much.😜🤣

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

He did hold.. And Apple did interfere... Bengals fans complaining how they let them play to that point and why call it now?  Because its a penalty.  

Yeah stafford had a few misfires, the OBJ injury was another pretty lousy throw.  The WR on the 2nd one couldve put in a better effort, he didnt even extend his right hand to try and catch it.  It was also probably thrown way too hard.  

Burrow had the nice throw to Chase... and the bomb to higgins with the questionable no-call.  Other than that he was 20/31 for 142 yards, with 7 sacks for 43 yards and 2 rushes for 3 yards.  So assuming all of that... on the remaining 40 pass plays they gained 102 yards.  There's a "big play" offense, and theres an inefficient offense.  

Nothing questionable about it.....  It was OPI!!!!

43 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Yeah I agree after they let the no call offensive facemask stand and the no assessed penalties on the Aaron Donald sideline hit and subsequent team's scrums.  The only two non-procedure penalties that should have been called were the right tackle offensive holding on the Ram go-ahead TD (that was pretty clear on the replay) and that non-uniformed Bengal (idiot) running on field to celebrate.  To start throwing flags on the goal line at the end of the game sure seems sus.

If this was a regular season game Kupp gets taken off the field for observation after that head shot, correct?  But Super Bowl is more important than player health.

Edit: Also a procedural question on that play.  The official announced a holding penalty on the Rams and a "dead ball foul" for the Bengals head shot.  He then announced they off set.  If the head shot was dead ball shouldn't both penalties technically be assessed? 10 yards back and then 15 yards forward?

Edited by sabres431

I was disappointed in the game.   It seemed like an ordinary regular season game with a lot of Hoopla added.  

First, neither team looked or felt to me like one of the best teams in the league.  Now, that reaction may be all subjective - neither franchise has been dominant in recent years, the Bengals happened to come on late, and the Rams recently recovered from a pretty ugly stretch.   People generally thought, I think, that the Bills and the Chiefs were the class of the league, along with the Bucs and the Pack.  All of those teams faded.  Neither team had been promoted as one of the powers in the league.  Neither team had a winning tradition, like the Pats, Pack, Steelers, or even Cowboys (although they haven't won for a long time).  These were just two NFL teams playing a game.  

Second, neither team had a marquee QB.  Burrow may be on his way, and Stafford may actually show that he's a winner (I'll give him credit - he was tough on the final drive, for sure), but we're used to Mannings and Rodgers and Brady and Mahomes in the Super Bowl.  And, even despite the final drive, neither QB really lit it up.   I agree that Stafford made a poor throw on the INT over the middle.  And on the winning drive, he missed a throw badly in the back of the end zone.  If the linebacker underneath was in position to make a play on a flat throw, then wait a split second longer as his receiver crossed the end zone and hit the guy wide open in the corner.   Instead, he threw it over the receiver's head, with no touch at all.   Not what a top QB does.   Burrow was better, but not really stellar, either.  He repeatedly took sacks when he needed to get out of the pocket, and he missed some easy throws. 

Third, the coaching seemed weak.  Nobody seemed to have answers, except as Collinsworth pointed out, the Rams figured out how reposition their defensive line to create one-on-one opportunities for Donald and Miller.  With two weeks to prepare, the offenses should have been better prepared to attack.   

Gotta cut the Rams some slack - they lose Woods in midseason, then their tight end two weeks ago, then Beckham in the first half.   Their receiving corps was hurting.  Jefferson was a big disappointment - he needed to show up, and he couldn't.  

Yes, it was close at the end, and that made it exciting, but Michaels and Collinsworth kept trying to make us believe it was a great game.  It wasn't.  It was a couple of teams struggling to make plays and unable to do so.   Of course, part of that was because the Bengals' run defense was extraordinary, slowing down the Rams, who like to run.  And another part of it was that the Bengals pass protection was beyond shaky, making it difficult for the Bengals to run the passing offense they like.  But the Rams knew the Bengals would try to stop the run and didn't have good answers in the passing game, and the Bengals knew about their oline problems and didn't have a quality short passing game to attack with.  

Congratulations to the Rams - they won the tournament, and that's not an easy thing to do.  But boo to the Chiefs for keeping the Bills out of the game, and boo to the Bengals for keeping the Chiefs out.  If either the Bills or Chiefs had been there, either they would have won, cementing their claim to being a true top team, or the Rams would have beaten them.  If the Rams had beaten one of those teams, the win would have meant more, instead of win over a paper tiger. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It's 3rd and 1 on the last drive of the Super Bowl and your #1 RB is picking up almost 5 yards a carry. Perine up to that point had 1 carry for 0 yards. And they give him the ball on a simple HB dive? One of the worst decisions I've ever seen, Super Bowl or otherwise.

Over the last few weeks watching the Bengals I kept thinking they were over-coached.  Mixon is an outstanding back, and yet reflexively they put Perine in the game because, well, I guess because the gave him the job "third-down back."   Over those weeks, all I saw was that Perine was consistently bad running the ball.  He doesn't have Mixon's power or ability to identify holes.  Maybe he's a better receiver, and maybe he's a better blocker.  If so, in that situation in the Super Bowl, maybe they ought to go to his strengths instead of his weaknesses.  

Contrast that 3rd and 1 call with the Kupp sweep on fourth and one.   Rams had a play a they knew they could make work.   Bengals just tried a play.  

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Over the last few weeks watching the Bengals I kept thinking they were over-coached.  Mixon is an outstanding back, and yet reflexively they put Perine in the game because, well, I guess because the gave him the job "third-down back."   Over those weeks, all I saw was that Perine was consistently bad running the ball.  He doesn't have Mixon's power or ability to identify holes.  Maybe he's a better receiver, and maybe he's a better blocker.  If so, in that situation in the Super Bowl, maybe they ought to go to his strengths instead of his weaknesses.  

Contrast that 3rd and 1 call with the Kupp sweep on fourth and one.   Rams had a play a they knew they could make work.   Bengals just tried a play.  

They were stopped, sometimes it happens & yes was not a great playcall in any way shape or form, but how about giving Donald credit?  

As for the Kupp play, give McVay credit as they too failed on third & 1 and had a play ready (Bengals didn't), and more importantly knew the importance and went for it on their own 30.....  I expect if that was McD, he would have punted and relied on the defense to get the ball back.... 

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I was disappointed in the game.   It seemed like an ordinary regular season game with a lot of Hoopla added.  

First, neither team looked or felt to me like one of the best teams in the league.  Now, that reaction may be all subjective - neither franchise has been dominant in recent years, the Bengals happened to come on late, and the Rams recently recovered from a pretty ugly stretch.   People generally thought, I think, that the Bills and the Chiefs were the class of the league, along with the Bucs and the Pack.  All of those teams faded.  Neither team had been promoted as one of the powers in the league.  Neither team had a winning tradition, like the Pats, Pack, Steelers, or even Cowboys (although they haven't won for a long time).  These were just two NFL teams playing a game.  

Second, neither team had a marquee QB.  Burrow may be on his way, and Stafford may actually show that he's a winner (I'll give him credit - he was tough on the final drive, for sure), but we're used to Mannings and Rodgers and Brady and Mahomes in the Super Bowl.  And, even despite the final drive, neither QB really lit it up.   I agree that Stafford made a poor throw on the INT over the middle.  And on the winning drive, he missed a throw badly in the back of the end zone.  If the linebacker underneath was in position to make a play on a flat throw, then wait a split second longer as his receiver crossed the end zone and hit the guy wide open in the corner.   Instead, he threw it over the receiver's head, with no touch at all.   Not what a top QB does.   Burrow was better, but not really stellar, either.  He repeatedly took sacks when he needed to get out of the pocket, and he missed some easy throws. 

Third, the coaching seemed weak.  Nobody seemed to have answers, except as Collinsworth pointed out, the Rams figured out how reposition their defensive line to create one-on-one opportunities for Donald and Miller.  With two weeks to prepare, the offenses should have been better prepared to attack.   

Gotta cut the Rams some slack - they lose Woods in midseason, then their tight end two weeks ago, then Beckham in the first half.   Their receiving corps was hurting.  Jefferson was a big disappointment - he needed to show up, and he couldn't.  

Yes, it was close at the end, and that made it exciting, but Michaels and Collinsworth kept trying to make us believe it was a great game.  It wasn't.  It was a couple of teams struggling to make plays and unable to do so.   Of course, part of that was because the Bengals' run defense was extraordinary, slowing down the Rams, who like to run.  And another part of it was that the Bengals pass protection was beyond shaky, making it difficult for the Bengals to run the passing offense they like.  But the Rams knew the Bengals would try to stop the run and didn't have good answers in the passing game, and the Bengals knew about their oline problems and didn't have a quality short passing game to attack with.  

Congratulations to the Rams - they won the tournament, and that's not an easy thing to do.  But boo to the Chiefs for keeping the Bills out of the game, and boo to the Bengals for keeping the Chiefs out.  If either the Bills or Chiefs had been there, either they would have won, cementing their claim to being a true top team, or the Rams would have beaten them.  If the Rams had beaten one of those teams, the win would have meant more, instead of win over a paper tiger. 

This is actually a great summation IMHO.

I'll add to this, having looked up the box score. 

There are 6 called penalties in the boxscore - 2 against the Rams, and 4 against the Bengals.

In the play-by-play, I count 7

Rams:

1 - Delay of game - 1Q

2 - False start - 2Q

3 - Offensive holding - (Red zone, Rams final TD Drive, offsetting)

Bengals:

1 - Unnecessary Roughness (offense, after a sack) - early in 4Q

2 - Defensive Holding (Red zone, Rams final TD Drive

3 - Unnecessary Roughness (Red zone, Rams final TD Drive, offsetting)

4 - Defensive Pass Interference (Red zone, Rams final TD Drive)

Now,  I think these were all legitimate penalties. 

But there were equal or greater legitimate penalties that were going uncalled all game - the uncalled face mask on Ramsey by Higgins which clearly impacted the play, for example. 

It's distasteful to me that the refs kept their laundry in their pockets until the end, when it clearly impacted the result of the game.  They adopted a "let 'em play" mantra - until they didn't.

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Good post. People have laughed at me for saying it was a good game, and I still believe that. At the end of the day, there were lead changes, just the right amount of scoring for my taste (24-21/23-20 indicates balance between offensive and defensive play, and the points don't come too cheap), and the good players on both teams made plays. For the Rams, Stafford delivered, Cupp delivered, Donald delivered, Von Miller delivered, and I'd even argue that Ramsey delivered outside of that one deep pass to Chase early one. He broke up the intended TD pass that held the Bengals to 3 a few plays later, and he was obviously blatantly facemasked by Higgins on the TD throw. For the Bengals, Burrow, Mixon, Higgins, and Chase all played well. On D, their good front seven guys played well too. 

Moreover, it came down to two final possessions. One team got it done, and the best player on the field -- Donald -- made sure the other team didn't on a couple of great defensive plays. The tackle on the third down was amazing, although I think if Mixon had run it he may well have made it. 

One could gripe about the reffing late, but the PI was definitely PI (the holding call was sketchy) and the non-call on Higgins obviates any claims by Bengals fans that it was rigged. 

Anyway, it was a hard-fought, balanced, and tight game. Not sure what people are looking for in these games. Last year's game was awful, and I felt this one was better than the previous three too (Rams/NE, KC/SF, and the no-defense Philly/NE game). I honestly think much of the criticism stems from the fact that Bills fans felt that the Bills were the more deserving team (they weren't--they lost fair and square to KC). 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I disagree with the sketchiness of the holding call on Kupp.  But the rest of your point stands.  If it's OK to grab a DB's face mask and yank his head around and hold earlier in the game, don't change what you're allowing or calling in the red zone in the last 2 minutes.

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

They weren't phantom calls - they were legit - but there were equally non-phantom calls that weren't penalized earlier in the game IMHO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.