Super Bowl Post Game Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The flags didn't come out until the Rams got to first and goal.   

They refs had been letting them play all game.........but with the focus that was going to be on those last two minutes I don't think the refs wanted to be cited for letting the defense man-handle the Rams at the end.    The officials certainly lost their nerve to hold the hankies.......but I don't think it was a conspiracy.   The play before the first flag that was thrown was an egregious PI that they let go.   At that point I think they knew the Bengals were just going to try to grab everything and hope the flags continued to stay in the pockets.

Bengals don't have much to complain about..........the Higgins TD where he face masked Ramsey was a free 7 points.   In the prior levels of the playoffs the flag comes out there........the officials convene.......and the sky judge tells them its OPI on Higgins and that drive is dead.    Sky judge apparently wasn't an option in the SB.

I found the lack of flags refreshing.  The flags flown at the end were their attempt to keep things equitable in the Crunch time of game.  Frankly I think because I was not really that invested in who won or lost the game the referees call style didn't bother me unduly.

But I will say over this season It is Obvious that officiating is Never going to be perfect. The NFL has vested interest in their bottom line remaining constant and growing.  Game integrity? pfft. I think they could do waaay more to improve things but don't. Give "game officials are Human" excuse and forgo any possible changes that conceivably could Right obvious Wrongs.. u feel me?. And not just in the Super bowl either.  Regular season. I know this is only a game but stakes are also super high. I just think there are outside the box ideas that need implemented to eliminate many officiating snafus.

Edited by muppy

Regular season. I know this is only a game but stakes are also super high. I just think there are outside the box ideas that need implemented to eliminate many officiating snafus.”

I had many, including digital technology, but most critically, replacing every slow, blind, fearful Ref with a Division One, High Wonderlic, athlete, not selected in the Draft.

Steve Tasker has said you just can’t have a bonus crew sitting around waiting to replace incompetent losers, at a cost of a million $ a year.

And why NOT?

The NFL is a Trillion $ Biz, owned by 32 Billionaires! An extra mill is a chump change cost to doing Biz. Anyone who misses blatantly obvious calls needs their ass sacked and replaced- asap.

• Thank you (+1) 1

My not so unbiased Super bowl thoughts

1.  Copper Kupp was unbelievable.

2. Aaron Donald was unbelievable.

3. That desperation throw on Cincy's last play almost connected.  If it had, it would have been the play of the superbowl.

4. Glad Cincy lost.  Just am.

5. Jalen Ramsey gets beat twice on big plays.  Me like it.

6. OBJ going down really hurt the Rams.

7. Imagine waking up in Detroit today knowing that Stafford won.  Must really suck being a Lions fan.

8. The halftime show was NOT my cup of tea.  My son on the other hand loved it.

9. When Rams changed their pass rush technique in the 3rd quarter, the game changed.  Wonder if the "great" Spagnola looks at that and says why didn't we do that?  

10. I bet Burrow is one sore football player this AM.

To be honest, I think the Rams D line as a collective earned MVP. Or at least give it to Donald. They kept the Rams in the game while their offense was anemic. it seemed like every drive in the second half burrow was being sacked and it destroyed drives for them. 

If Bengals scored once I think the Rams lose that game. 

The game was largely boring.  It looked like a mid season game between two middling teams.  The standout performances of the game came at the very : Kupp putting the team on his back for the winning points, and Donald blowing up two plays in a row to seal the deal.  

I was was glad to see Burrow taken down a notch and glad to see Stafford get his ring.  Otherwise, ho hum.  I think the Bills would have crushed either, but we will never know. 

1 hour ago, wjag said:

My not so unbiased Super bowl thoughts

1.  Copper Kupp was unbelievable.

2. Aaron Donald was unbelievable.

3. That desperation throw on Cincy's last play almost connected.  If it had, it would have been the play of the superbowl.

4. Glad Cincy lost.  Just am.

5. Jalen Ramsey gets beat twice on big plays.  Me like it.

6. OBJ going down really hurt the Rams.

7. Imagine waking up in Detroit today knowing that Stafford won.  Must really suck being a Lions fan.

8. The halftime show was NOT my cup of tea.  My son on the other hand loved it.

9. When Rams changed their pass rush technique in the 3rd quarter, the game changed.  Wonder if the "great" Spagnola looks at that and says why didn't we do that?  

10. I bet Burrow is one sore football player this AM.

4. Agreed - don't think we need another Broadway Joe

5. Makes me appreciate Tre all the more

7. It sucked being a Bills fan for a long time as well

8. Same but I'm old 

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The Bengals got to the Super Bowl too early in their life cycle. It's hard to win championships with such a glaring issue on the roster.

I have said elsewhere that if people actually watched that team over the course of the season, they’d realize how terrible their line actually is. 

Decent game, but it really made me think these two teams were lucky to be there. Lots of mistakes and mediocre play on both sides. Mostly bad throws and drops, plus superstars like Ramsey not playing well at all. Very frustrating to watch; couldn't stop thinking the Bills (or Chiefs or Bucs or Packers) would have won that game by 20.

Oh well, they all had their shot and didn't make it. Hats off to Stafford and the Rams, and I'm glad the Bills still have a chance to win a SB before the Bengals. 

3 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

“Is handing the ball to Perine on 3rd and 1 the worst Super Bowl play call in recent history?”

NOT handing it to Marshawn Lynch is!

And ONLY because it was the SB, does it not pale in comparison to 13 seconds of infamy- the WORST PLAYOFF HC effort in the history of the NFL! 

***** YOU, McClapper!

Josh should have been carrying the SB trophy through the airport to a greeting of 100k wild, drunk/ stoned Bills Fans!

If I were in Zac Taylor's shoes and it wasn't under 2 minutes, I would have challenged that spot. 

The ball was clearly as far as the 'L' in the NFL shield at midfield. The officials spotted it about a yard further back. Even from the reverse angle, using the numbers painted on the field for reference, it easy to see how far the ball was before the runner was pushed back a yard.

It may still have been short, but only by inches if it were spotted where I believe it should have been.

Between that spot and some of the dubious calls that more or less gave the Rams a gimme touchdown, I'd be pissed if I was a Bengals fan.

Maybe it's a blessing that the Bills didn't play in the superbowl and have the same fate or we could've added that to the list of cursed moments in Buffalo sports history.

24 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I have said elsewhere that if people actually watched that team over the course of the season, they’d realize how terrible their line actually is. 

I watched every Bengals game this year, and you're right. They also were not that good this year. They got destroyed by the Browns 41-16 at home. They got to play an incredibly injured Ravens team twice and the Steelers without TJ Watt both times. They just went on a run, starting with that win against KC in week 17. Every ball bounced their way until last night. Now they are thrown back into the grinder that is the AFC North with the worst owner in the NFL. Everyone points out their cap space, but Mike Brown has never spent up to the cap. He just doesn't have the money. They really had to get it done last night. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Officials gifted the Bengals a 75 yard TD.  Sorry any make-up call afterwards, just evened it up.....😜

For a 23-20 games, it was meh at best.  Neither QB was overly impressive (stats make them look better then they were).

What was Collinsworth doing blaming Stafford's second int on the receiver?  It was not a good pass.

Defenses played well, but game felt disjointed.

Must admit too, I just wasn't into it regardless.   

3 hours ago, muppy said:

I found the lack of flags refreshing.  The flags flown at the end were their attempt to keep things equitable in the Crunch time of game.  Frankly I think because I was not really that invested in who won or lost the game the referees call style didn't bother me unduly.

But I will say over this season It is Obvious that officiating is Never going to be perfect. The NFL has vested interest in their bottom line remaining constant and growing.  Game integrity? pfft. I think they could do waaay more to improve things but don't. Give "game officials are Human" excuse and forgo any possible changes that conceivably could Right obvious Wrongs.. u feel me?. And not just in the Super bowl either.  Regular season. I know this is only a game but stakes are also super high. I just think there are outside the box ideas that need implemented to eliminate many officiating snafus.

He did hold.. And Apple did interfere... Bengals fans complaining how they let them play to that point and why call it now?  Because its a penalty.  

18 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The Officials gifted the Bengals a 75 yard TD.  Sorry any make-up call afterwards, just evened it up.....😜

For a 23-20 games, it was meh at best.  Neither QB was overly impressive (stats make them look better then they were).

What was Collinsworth doing blaming Stafford's second int on the receiver?  It was not a good pass.

Defenses played well, but game felt disjointed.

Must admit too, I just wasn't into it regardless.   

Yeah stafford had a few misfires, the OBJ injury was another pretty lousy throw.  The WR on the 2nd one couldve put in a better effort, he didnt even extend his right hand to try and catch it.  It was also probably thrown way too hard.  

Burrow had the nice throw to Chase... and the bomb to higgins with the questionable no-call.  Other than that he was 20/31 for 142 yards, with 7 sacks for 43 yards and 2 rushes for 3 yards.  So assuming all of that... on the remaining 40 pass plays they gained 102 yards.  There's a "big play" offense, and theres an inefficient offense.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, skibum said:

Decent game, but it really made me think these two teams were lucky to be there. Lots of mistakes and mediocre play on both sides. Mostly bad throws and drops, plus superstars like Ramsey not playing well at all. Very frustrating to watch; couldn't stop thinking the Bills (or Chiefs or Bucs or Packers) would have won that game by 20.

Oh well, they all had their shot and didn't make it. Hats off to Stafford and the Rams, and I'm glad the Bills still have a chance to win a SB before the Bengals. 

I thought Stafford played pretty well. He gets credited with a couple of interceptions, but one was essentially a punt and the other hit his receiver right in hands.

It's a little bit of a disjointed game, but I think it shows that the idea that coaching in the short term can overcome an area of your team that's significantly worse is a little bit overblown. 

With the Rams offense, the attrition battle was front and center. They were missing three of their top four skill position players and it showed, especially after Beckham went out and The Bengals we're basically able to change the way they were defending.

On the other side, the Bengals had a bad offensive line, everyone knew it, they continue to be unable to be the basic stunt when the Rams started running it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Anyone surprised when the flags started flying on the GW drive? There was no way Cincinnati was going to win that game. It wasn't going to be permitted. When can we start calling this what it is? The WWE.

Yes. When the officials suddenly started calling everything they could against Cinci in the last 2 minutes, when the Rams needed a TD to win, while letting almost anything goes by either team previously during the rest of the game.  I thought about the WWE's style of entertainment, rather than the sport.

It ended like it started. A former WWE star imitating an WWE announcer. And it ended with the NFL officials giving the RAMS more and more chances to score, whenever they missed on their previous chances. Until they finally won it. 

I knew the NFL had identical values to the WWE's values about the integrity of the sport. I also thought about Bench still being banned in baseball, while the NFL is actively all in on profits from gambling. Integrity of the sport be dammed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.